www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old March 11th, 2020, 07:41   #1
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/46/39
Default Donít mess with your emissions

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32533/...ruck-emissions

Or at least donít brag about it ...
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2020, 07:46   #2
Votblindub
Veteran Member

Slap an "off-road use only" sticker and let it roll. That's what the rest of industry does.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2020, 08:08   #3
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

"plaintiffs actually purchased a truck from Sparks Motors and promptly sent it to Denver for testing" it was someone looking to screw them. you can easily have a tuned diesel that emits little to no smoke. i will be deleting in the future. but i will be tuned so i dont smoke. although i may have a smoke tune for the heck of it. When you see black smoke your just wasting fuel.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2020, 08:35   #4
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votblindub View Post
Slap an "off-road use only" sticker and let it roll. That's what the rest of industry does.
There was a thread about another company getting swacked by the EPA for trying exactly that a couple years ago. They tried to argue that all they sold was off road only and competition mods, and it was on the customers for driving them on the street. Judge wasn't buying that argument.

I remember a few year back Gale Banks warning guys like this to knock it off, or EPA would start dropping the hammer. Guess he was right.

Jason
Old March 11th, 2020, 09:30   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:

That doesn't work.
Old March 11th, 2020, 09:31   #6
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'm surprised it took so long to catch up to them. They televised themselves doing illegal mods for crying out loud. Putting out vids like this was also pretty moronic:

https://youtu.be/1e0OEvhCI7Y

Last edited by turbobrick240; March 11th, 2020 at 09:53.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2020, 09:56   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The few times I have watched that show it seemed like they were mostly messing with much older trucks.

Which, by the way, leads me to want to ask: anyone noticed the SKYROCKETING prices of these older pre-crazy-emissions diesel pickups? Seriously, a 2000-05 era Ram in excellent condition with less than 200k miles on it will sell for its new MSRP around here. And quickly. There is a new dealership in Eureka MO I drive past every day that JUST sells diesels, and their lot is constantly refreshing. 95% of them are domestic pickups, mostly Dodge/Ram and Ford with the occasional GM truck and once in a while a Volkswagen that I can only assume is a diesel.

I foresee any of these old beasts being drug out of wherever and being refurbished by a cottage industry that is going to be quite profitable. And I have to admit, before I'd pay $60k for a truck with a pedal deficiency that has a giant computer screen on the dash and gets poor(er) fuel economy and is laden with fragile emissions components I'd pay $40k for a professionally reconditioned 20 year old truck. I really would. But I would not want it to be a smokey brodozer.... a mostly stock, clean, straight pickup with the factory wheels and ride height is fine with me.
Old March 11th, 2020, 10:08   #8
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

The cost of new ones is driving the price for the older ones. I still see nice 2000 to 2003 7.3l Ford diesels going for more than $10k, even more if everything has been reconditioned.
Old March 11th, 2020, 19:18   #9
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
That hasn't been a valid defense for a number of years. If they can show that you knew, or ought to have known, that vehicles were driven on the road with that equipment despite those words, they will see right through it.

Work on a vehicle that has a license plate on it? Vehicle gets driven in or driven out (as opposed to being towed in and towed out with no license plate on it)? Then you knew, or ought to have known, that the vehicle was being driven on the road.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2020, 03:15   #10
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

precisely the reason why im doing a stealth delete.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2020, 06:19   #11
Votblindub
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
There was a thread about another company getting swacked by the EPA for trying exactly that a couple years ago. They tried to argue that all they sold was off road only and competition mods, and it was on the customers for driving them on the street. Judge wasn't buying that argument.
I remember a few year back Gale Banks warning guys like this to knock it off, or EPA would start dropping the hammer. Guess he was right.
Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
That doesn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
That hasn't been a valid defense for a number of years. If they can show that you knew, or ought to have known, that vehicles were driven on the road with that equipment despite those words, they will see right through it.
Work on a vehicle that has a license plate on it? Vehicle gets driven in or driven out (as opposed to being towed in and towed out with no license plate on it)? Then you knew, or ought to have known, that the vehicle was being driven on the road.
So, I decide to have a crazy drag car built or something that you don't typically see on the streets. I have that done and i trailer it all over, push it into my garage/storage and do things right it's ok. Then, I decide to be dumb and just go for a ride on a public highway, then company that built it for me is responsible? I was figuring that people who build this kind of thing would have the customer sign off on paperwork that sort of indemnifies them, no?

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2020, 07:51   #12
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

They usually do have people check off or sign off that it is for that purpose. But when you sell huge quantities of them you know there aren't millions (so to speak) of drag racers out there. They have done their homework or they wouldn't be getting the drop on businesses like they are. The real racing crowd is few compared to the masses and they wouldn't be selling near the number they are if they were legitimate. They should require someone provide some kind of racing license or other proof that that is what they are doing with the product if they actually wanted to cover themselves. Clicking a box or just making a statement isn't going to cut it any more.
Old March 12th, 2020, 08:03   #13
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
So, I decide to have a crazy drag car built or something that you don't typically see on the streets. I have that done and i trailer it all over, push it into my garage/storage and do things right it's ok. Then, I decide to be dumb and just go for a ride on a public highway, then company that built it for me is responsible? I was figuring that people who build this kind of thing would have the customer sign off on paperwork that sort of indemnifies them, no?
In that scenario most judges would just fine the vehicle owner. But that's a good example of why many shops aren't interested in rolling the dice these days.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2020, 13:06   #14
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The few times I have watched that show it seemed like they were mostly messing with much older trucks.

Which, by the way, leads me to want to ask: anyone noticed the SKYROCKETING prices of these older pre-crazy-emissions diesel pickups? Seriously, a 2000-05 era Ram in excellent condition with less than 200k miles on it will sell for its new MSRP around here. And quickly. There is a new dealership in Eureka MO I drive past every day that JUST sells diesels, and their lot is constantly refreshing. 95% of them are domestic pickups, mostly Dodge/Ram and Ford with the occasional GM truck and once in a while a Volkswagen that I can only assume is a diesel.

I foresee any of these old beasts being drug out of wherever and being refurbished by a cottage industry that is going to be quite profitable. And I have to admit, before I'd pay $60k for a truck with a pedal deficiency that has a giant computer screen on the dash and gets poor(er) fuel economy and is laden with fragile emissions components I'd pay $40k for a professionally reconditioned 20 year old truck. I really would. But I would not want it to be a smokey brodozer.... a mostly stock, clean, straight pickup with the factory wheels and ride height is fine with me.
Yep. LBZ's have gone thru the roof.

New truck prices are insane. My customer has ordered a 2021 Dmax dually, full load, close to 100K plus tax. That is f*Cking insane, for a truck. I don't get it.
I bought an 02 Dmax, 2500HD, I am into it for 10K, I've had it for 3 years, has 400K and it tows my toy hauler around Vancouver and surrounding area's and to Oregon once a year.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2020, 21:36   #15
da.hs
Veteran Member

My 2004 Touareg cost its first owner $99k (I have a photo of its window sticker), around $129k today corrected for inflation. If someone has money and inclination to buy new, why not?
da.hs is offline   Reply With Quote