Glow Plug light and engine shaking upon cold start

abtmuda

Veteran Member
TDI
Many others but one ALH TDI - In love
This morning, after starting the car (2011 TDI Touareg) the glow plug light flashed and the car nearly turned itself off.
After plugging in my VAG COM the 4 faults were found:

5211 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0087 00 [096] - Too Low
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

5215 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0087 00 [096] - Too Low
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

21375 - Fuel Pressure too Low during Cold Start
P053F 00 [101] - -
Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

16983 - Fuel Injector Calibration
P268A 00 [101] - Not Learned/Programmed
Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
The 'pressure too low' would seem to indicate the output of the high pressure pump isn't there. (Besides the obvious failed pump) the cause COULD be restricted fuel into the pump. Plugged filters(s)?
Something wrong in the electronics - checking for fuel pressure before it should, etc - might also be part of the problem albeit unlikely.

abtmuda

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply.

Furthermore, the issue is more present when the car is not in use every day, intermittent as it only happens when I first start it on a cold morning.

Also, I recently changed the fuel filter (and primed the pump prior to starting) so it can't be the filter.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Did the problem start AFTER you replaced the filter? If so, it could be a seal is not quite right, allowing a slight loss of fuel prime when it sits for a while.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Do things smooth out once you have it running for a few? If so I'd agree with Oilhammer and it is worth looking for a way air is getting in the fuel line. Also, how cold are we talking? I'm around 7F today leaving work.

abtmuda

Veteran Member
TDI
Do things smooth out once you have it running for a few? If so I'd agree with Oilhammer and it is worth looking for a way air is getting in the fuel line. Also, how cold are we talking? I'm around 7F today leaving work.
Yes the problem showed up twice so far, not sure if it did this before the filter change as I just bought the car a few months ago and did all the preventative maintenance right after I got it. (I only use it for towing my other car). Cold in CA is 40's :)

Last edited: