Radio constantly rebooting

Titopassatsel

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Hi I have a 2014 Passat SEL. Sundenly the radio starts re booting all the time. I tried to reset by pressing <> and* but didnot work. Any ideas will be apreciated. I am getting bored with out music and no reverse camera. Please HELP!!!

Thanks

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Scooby’s right, I fixed a ‘14 SEL Premium radio with the firmware update, send a private message to BarryT82.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Our '15 SEL made a trip to the dealer and "received a new head unit", or at least that's what they told us. VWoA cut the check for the head unit, we paid $150 for labor, We were right around 38K so just outside the B2B warranty.

Our symptoms were a completely black screen that the display backlight would turn on for 5 seconds but never display anything and a constant rebooting sound of the harddrive every min or so, the red backlights on the buttons would also cycle, it never got to the fender/VW logo. I'm not sure if a firmware update could have saved it.

Last edited:

Scooby24

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
From what I've read, that scenario you mentioned is exactly what the firmware update does solve (and would prevent)

(in german)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WD0aG1Q7WE

Interesting you mention the Harddrive sound though...my '14 SEL RNS 510 has an SSD and as I understand it, others going forward would as well.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Maybe it wasn't the head drive but the optic drive trying to do something.

Either way we now have software rev 5382 with map version 8112.

The POS still randomly cranks the volume a full blast when you just wanted to turn up one notch, and if you try and touch the system before the "starting up screen" is shown it'll lock up until you cycle power.

Scooby24

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Yeah volume lag is super annoying and for whatever reason mine changes the radio station randomly..like up or down a frequency

ecrafts95

TDI
2015 passat 1996 passat
I guess I got lucky, The unit in my 2015 TDI SEL was covered under the extended warranty. for $50:00 I got an updated replacement and 3 free months of Sirius. ecrafts95

Scooby24

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
have you noticed any improvement in things like, response lag via volume or touch screen, bootup times, or backup camera function?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
It’s been a few years since mine was updated, it only had a distorted fender screen at the time. It’s usually pretty quick as far as camera, changing stations or volume. It doesn’t have the volume issue mentioned here.

Titopassatsel

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Guys the firmware update solve the problem. For other people do no spend money changing the unit or taking ti VW dealer. Y very cheap

Thanks guys

James70818

TDI
Passat
Can you share the software? Maybe some heads up on the install. I assume it is on the SD card. We bought my son a 2014 Passat TDI. The radio has nav and it is the Fender edition. The radio just reboots every few minutes.

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
Just get rid of it, there are plenty of aftermarket head units that have apple/android CarPlay, and will work with steering wheel controls and rear cameras

TDI-12

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE. I've got lots to learn!
At risk of drifting the thread, can I ask what's the current firmware version for an RNS315 in a 2012 TDI SE?
If I check the setup screens, I see note of "Software version 0265." I'm a relative n00b here... am I even looking at the right thing?
Thank you.

Dirk_tadango

TDI
R32
Sorry to just jump in, but I need some help if anyone can. A few mo the ago I bought a MK4 R32 and the previous owner installed the euro MFD navigation unit in it. I took the car in the the Vw shop for a repair, and when I got the car back the navigation disc had mysteriously disappeared. Now the navigation doesn’t work. Now, I know the navigation is totally outdated, but I would like it to function to the latest update. I’ve looked everywhere and I’m having a bit of a hard time. If anyone can help I’d love you forever!! Thanks

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
JC365 and Tristan, my 2014 Passat came with J unit with 4369 firmware. Which meant that it came with SSD. In that case, you have an ability to update to the latest firmware. Send me a PM, I will share a link to latest firmware for free. Please don't buy it from anyone, this is not theirs to sell. I hate the bastards that try to make money off stuff that is not theirs on the first place.

MarioTDI

TDI
2015 passat
Please don't buy it from anyone, this is not theirs to sell. I hate the bastards that try to make money
Thank you Eugene! I used the link for the firmware upgrade and it fixed my deck in 20mins. I owe you!!!!!!

Anyone have the VIM hack link? Or latest maps?

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
Haha, you owe me nothing, your success is all I needed for a nice weekend.

No luck with my map update from eBay when I tried, but Passat is no longer my DD. So as long as it gets my mom reliably around town, I try to keep it in a good mechanical shape and that's it. Even newest maps available are now outdated, support ended a handful of years ago (2018 or so?).

MarioTDI

TDI
2015 passat
Haha, you owe me nothing, your success is all I needed for a nice weekend.
You made it so quick and easy and took the worry of buying and finding an installer to put a cheap android deck in. I'm experienced with the process of updating the firmware, maps and VIM installs because this is my 3rd passat. But I never had this issue and want sure if it would work and woo hoo EUGENE, your the MAN!

The VW dealership I bought the car from said they'd have a "technician" look at it. When I went to pick the car up they said there's nothing they can do unless I purchase an new head unit. I told them that's not an option. Then they knocked of a cpl thousand because I pointed out that the deck was broken, needs new front tires and the AC isn't charged. So fingers crossed on the AC just being a charge and not a compressor.

Thankfully the " technician " wasn't capable!

Yeah who am I kidding I'd never use the nav anyways WAZE is the best for me. I'm happy with the deck simply working.

Thx again bud

VdubTrod

TDI
2015 Passat (CVCA)
I have same issue with my 2015 Passat SW-Version 5378. Constantly Rebooting every now and then actually works.

VdubTrod

TDI
2015 Passat (CVCA)
JC365 and Tristan, my 2014 Passat came with J unit with 4369 firmware. Which meant that it came with SSD. In that case, you have an ability to update to the latest firmware. Send me a PM, I will share a link to latest firmware for free. Please don't buy it from anyone, this is not theirs to sell. I hate the bastards that try to make money off stuff that is not theirs on the first place.
PM sent. Please & thank you 🍻