2015 Passat failed water pump out of warranty

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It can go either way, there is no technical specification for what a "long block" must include. VW has not included water pumps with their long blocks for some time, so they are going by that. Some manufacturers and engine builders do include the water pump/timing belt.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
here is the latest response from VWoA:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to look into your request. We appreciate that you took the time to reach out to us and we’re sorry that you have been faced with a repair cost outside of warranty.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I truly appreciate the amount of time you have put into researching the coverage for the repairs needed for your Passat. After thorough research the repairs will not be covered as they are not covered under the Extended Emissions Warranty.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I understand this decision may be disappointing. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to give me a call. I can be reached at 800-822-8987; when prompted, press “9” and dial 43802. You can also reply to this email.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So there you have it. Extended warranty is not covering, not sure what they actually would cover at this point.
[/FONT]

Do you have a friend that is a lawyer? Or maybe it's time to find a specific "VW emissions Lemon Law Lawyer". It seems to be a new cottage industry as I remember seeing advertisements for same.
Often something received by VWOA on legal letterhead gets their attention in a different way, especially since you've had a professional and reasonable history with them. It shows YOU have ramped it up and are serious about investigating the non-vagueness of "Disputes to be settled in favor" language. You should take a copy of VWs extended powertrain and enmissions warranty with you. It's worth a shot and at least they might "meet you in the middle" or at least give you some kind of discount.

Also regarding you doing it yourself, I would think a VCDS/VagCom would be mandatory to do the job properly. Might be better to find an indie TDI mechanic shop if it comes to that and since you're supplying the parts they'd just charge you with labor. I have one here in my area that has no problem in doing that.

What say others?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
there's no money left in it for the lawyers they closed up shop and moved on to round up law suits

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think a letter from an attorney could be helpful. Somebody needs to hold their feet to the fire on these issues, or everyone gets screwed.

otep858

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Passat TDI (Times 2) SEL Premium
I have emailed several times asking for clarification that they are sure they want to take the stand of "it's not covered" or that they won't be "resolving disputes about the warranty in favor of the consumer" as promised in thier extended warranty before I forward it on to a lawyer and now I can't even get a response from them. VWoA has gone down hill a long way in thier customer service.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

otep858

TDI
Here would be the canned response i finally got back from VWoA today

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to look into your request. We appreciate that you took the time to reach out to us and we’re sorry that you have been faced with a repair cost outside of warranty.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I truly appreciate the amount of time you have put into researching the coverage for the repairs needed for your Passat. After thorough research the repairs will not be covered as they are not covered under the Extended Emissions Warranty.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I understand this decision may be disappointing. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to give me a call. I can be reached at 800-822-8987; when prompted, press “9” and dial 43802. You can also reply to this email.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]surprise surprise.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the key verbiage in the emissions warranty is the part about the assembled block and valvetrain. You can't have an assembled block and valvetrain without the water pump.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
When I think of vw customer service I always feel I'm in the movie trains, planes and automobiles when the rental car agent tells Steve Martin "You're fxxked"

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I think of vw customer service I always feel I'm in the movie trains, planes and automobiles when the rental car agent tells Steve Martin "You're fxxked"
And those aren't pillows!

T4RBoarder

TDI
'15 GSW SEL 6-spd "Diego"
I know this is an older thread but did anyone get anywhere eventually with any sort of warranty coverage?

My water pump just started leaking on my '15 Golf and they're not budging so far on anything ($1800 quote from two different shops). I've only spoken on the phone and haven't tried twitter or facebook (doesn't seem to be an e-mail option anymore). The representative told me to ask the dealer to help me as a solution.

otep858

TDI
I know this is an older thread but did anyone get anywhere eventually with any sort of warranty coverage?

My water pump just started leaking on my '15 Golf and they're not budging so far on anything ($1800 quote from two different shops). I've only spoken on the phone and haven't tried twitter or facebook (doesn't seem to be an e-mail option anymore). The representative told me to ask the dealer to help me as a solution.
I was the original poster. And I did everything short of getting a lawyer and got nowhere with them. It's not a company of customer satisfaction anymore. I was forced to do it myself.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well they have never really been known for their exemplary customer service. I sold my 2003 Beetle due to our resident trusted mechanic leaving the area. Didn't want to pay dealership or other unknowns to work on it. Bought this stop sale 2015 Beetle specifically for the long, long warranty. Everything covered for some time except for regular maintenance.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was the original poster. And I did everything short of getting a lawyer and got nowhere with them. It's not a company of customer satisfaction anymore. I was forced to do it myself.

Thanks for the update, looks like it's only covered under power train warranty. Did you do a full TB job?

Withe the alure of dieselgate behind VW i'm not surprised they are pulling the purse strings, the uber emissions warranty is only good for so much.

otep858

TDI
Yes there full job. When you have to tear it down that far it only makes sense to do the timing belt and stuff with it

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Yes there full job. When you have to tear it down that far it only makes sense to do the timing belt and stuff with it

The timing belt may also contaminated by coolant. On my ‘14, both the timing and serpentine belts had coolant on them from the leaking water pump, luckily my car was 3.5 years old with 53,000 miles.

T4RBoarder

TDI
The timing belt may also contaminated by coolant. On my ‘14, both the timing and serpentine belts had coolant on them from the leaking water pump, luckily my car was 3.5 years old with 53,000 miles.
I'm going the full belt route too. I do have a third party warranty that came with the car that is thankfully covering some of it (WP only and part of the labor). In addition, the dealer is currently having trouble sourcing the pump. It has been in the shop since last Monday and they still don't have an ETA on when the new version pump will be in.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Look at the other threads concerning overheating. The EGR coolers are cooking the coolant in these cars and making solid particles run through the system. I wish I could post a picture on here of the eroded plastic heater hose fitting from my 14 Passat that wore out from the inside due to these particles. They also plug up the heater cores. Solids can’t be good for the water pump seals either. You have an emissions related failure and VW should fix it.
this is why the heater core is covered under the DG warrenty.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi

i would find a vw mechanic in your area that isnt a dealership. One here quoted 1100 parts and labor for a tb & wp. including tensioner and idlers. Hell my local dealer quoted 1800. its only a few hour job.

T4RBoarder

TDI
i would find a vw mechanic in your area that isnt a dealership. One here quoted 1100 parts and labor for a tb & wp. including tensioner and idlers. Hell my local dealer quoted 1800. its only a few hour job.
My preferred indy shop quoted $1800 as well :/ and I was just told the pump is actually on backorder, so that is great too.