Audio Recommendations

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
My factory rcd 310 is not satisfactory. i listen to a lot of heavy metal so i would like to upgrade the whole sound system.

for the bass:
i plan on building a custom subwoofer box similar to this JL audio stealthbox

that the spare tire will sit on top of so i dont lose any cargo space in my wagon. i havent decided on sub yet but it will have to be a shallow mount for my enclosure. most likely a jl audio or mb quart.

i was looking at the alpine ILX-W650 and the compact 4 channel amp that bolts onto the back of it the KTA-450. would the stock speakers be fine with that 4 channel amp?

i noticed the front doors have 3 speakers in them ( tweeter in sail panel, midrange near handle and a woofer at the bottom) yet when i try to look online i get very limited options for 6.5inch component setups.

im hoping other JSW owners that have done up their sound systems can chime in as i would like to know what other owners have done to get good sound.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
I replaced the head unit on my ‘13 JSW with a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX (CarPlay is a must-have for me). I’m now replacing the speakers. I went with Polk 2-way components in the rear and am using Dayton Audio component speakers in the front. Still working on the install. Trying to figure out how to remove the sail panels to get to the tweeters currently has me hung up. I also bought a Pioneer micro amp (45w x 4) that I have not yet installed.

I’m looking into the JBL BassPro Hub for a subwoofer.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
I replaced the head unit on my ‘13 JSW with a Pioneer MVH-1400NEX (CarPlay is a must-have for me). I’m now replacing the speakers. I went with Polk 2-way components in the rear and am using Dayton Audio component speakers in the front. Still working on the install. Trying to figure out how to remove the sail panels to get to the tweeters currently has me hung up. I also bought a Pioneer micro amp (45w x 4) that I have not yet installed.

I’m looking into the JBL BassPro Hub for a subwoofer.
i saw that jbl basspro hub as well. if you get it please let me know how it sounds!

Gags730

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
I did have a look at that myself, but I cant get over the price for it. I think it was actually 11". I already have 2 12" Subs.

I just bought a Cheap double din Head Unit on Amazon. For what you get I don't think I will ever go back to name brand again... My buddy got one of these a few months ago, I couldnt believe it... This one is like 110 bucks so If I really like it, im throwing into the Wifeys car... I have my eyes on another one. Just make sure they support CanBus either built in or get the box... Also check out a company called Taramps Those amps are amazing for the price, mainly because they have been verified to put out what they say they do...

I have a wife with a Jetta so I put new crap in her car and \if its works out I buy something for myself or take it back out LOL... She is in good hands tho(spoiled)

So search the new stuff, for the price ya cant go wrong. The Android unit really is good tho, you can download all the APKs from the play store or other sites and install them... Run whatever ya want, have Messages on the radio screen, everything...I dont know how they get these prices....

Picked up a 9" touchscreen with Android 8.1
So the Head unit comes with

1 x Rear View Camera,

2 x ISO Power Harness, 1
x GPS Antenna Cable,

1 x CAM Input Cable,

1 x RCA Input/Output,

2 x USB Cables,

1 x CANBUS box,
1 x Radio Antenna Adapter
Bluetooth, Wifi, GPS (NO CD/DVD)

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Anyone actually install the JBL Basspro hub?

I got the Cerwin Vega version, which appears to be completely identical (slight cosmetic variations) to the JBL but $100 cheaper. I’ve been extremely happy with the results.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I did have a look at that myself, but I cant get over the price for it. I think it was actually 11". I already have 2 12" Subs.

I just bought a Cheap double din Head Unit on Amazon. For what you get I don't think I will ever go back to name brand again... My buddy got one of these a few months ago, I couldnt believe it... This one is like 110 bucks so If I really like it, im throwing into the Wifeys car... I have my eyes on another one. Just make sure they support CanBus either built in or get the box... Also check out a company called Taramps Those amps are amazing for the price, mainly because they have been verified to put out what they say they do...

I have a wife with a Jetta so I put new crap in her car and \if its works out I buy something for myself or take it back out LOL... She is in good hands tho(spoiled)

So search the new stuff, for the price ya cant go wrong. The Android unit really is good tho, you can download all the APKs from the play store or other sites and install them... Run whatever ya want, have Messages on the radio screen, everything...I dont know how they get these prices....

Picked up a 9" touchscreen with Android 8.1
So the Head unit comes with

1 x Rear View Camera,

2 x ISO Power Harness, 1
x GPS Antenna Cable,

1 x CAM Input Cable,

1 x RCA Input/Output,

2 x USB Cables,

1 x CANBUS box,
1 x Radio Antenna Adapter
Bluetooth, Wifi, GPS (NO CD/DVD)

Which one did you get? The one from Taramps?

Can you post a link please?

pipesta

TDI
'14 JSW TDi 6MT
I got the Cerwin Vega version, which appears to be completely identical (slight cosmetic variations) to the JBL but $100 cheaper. I’ve been extremely happy with the results.

Nice! Any install pics? Does it rattle around at all or is it pretty snug in the spare?

Gags730

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium
Still waiting....

Still waiting on the shipping of this Head Unit... Was supposed to be here a while ago. I am now told the 9th of May now... This Coronavirus has taken a toll on shipping but that is a small price to pay considering the sick out there( Prayers to all )
I will take pics of the install, the wiring and all that so if anyone else goes with these Chinese Head Units you will know what to expect. It is a pain with VW to get wiring schematics and harness connector pinouts so I will try to be diligent and document everything.
Can’t Lie I'm pissed off I have been waiting forever!
The main thing that I researched with all this is that it needs CanBus decoder so that certain functions work like the SWC (Steering Wheel Control) and if you want you can add an ODBII dongle and that sends info to the radio, with like RPM, and monitoring... I don’t think I am doing that part.
This is going in a 2012 Jetta - Diesel - TDI Premium w/ the Fender Radio Package. The Stereo in there is that RCD 510 That is the Non-Navigation one. It actually died.
Im trying out all the Chinese stuff and we will see what happens, when you add the price of everything it was like 110 for a Radio, 40 for the Headrest Monitor, 20 for the Camera.
So I am at like $170 all in with shipping – This is an experiment !!! Honestly how the hell do you beat that? If it all works decent Good Enough - If I like it Ill upgrade my stuff, it all get built there anyway
What I am doing to the Car - see image of whats going in
1. Changing the Head Unit Out with the RCD-510 and in w/ the Android 9” Touchscreen w/ Android 8.1
2. The rear view Camera I am Adding will be Trunk Mounted – Replaces the Factory Handle and adds one with a Camera. This is on order
3. Wiring in Kicker Amp and 2x 12” Subwoofers in a box. (older only 400 Watts)
4. I Ordered 1 Headrest Monitor on the cheap to test, if its good Ill order the 2nd (ordered on Wish so only God knows LMAO) I don’t know why nobody is ever in her backseat, but she wanted a monitor so I made her get a cheap one which aint that bad considering
5. Adding Multiple USB and USB-C Charging Ports
5. (Later Date) Hiding and wiring in an Inverter Will have 120V A/C outlet in front and Trunk, I have to wire that to a DPST (Double Pole Single Throw) Switch so that both + and – are disconnected when not using a lot of inverters are known to be Vampires and suck power even when off.
6 (Later Date) Adding a front Camera Most likely I will Add the tiny Triangle that fits in Hood Emblem, Unsure though.
I made an image of what I am putting in
Here is the Link

https://is.gd/v11nte