www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old December 25th, 2017, 09:34   #1
wispassat

Fuel Economy: 40
Angry P204F00 fault, VW has no fix!

My TDI threw a CEL and P204F00 fault on 12/9 with 200 mile to no restart warning. Took into dealer 12/11. VW directed them to check DEF system for leaks, they found no issues, VW told them to hard reset the DEF level sensor, reset the CEL and give me back the car. That was 3 days in the shop! fast forward to 12/18, Same CEL 200 mile to no restart AGAIN. Took to dealer again 12/19, they Finally told me on 12/23 VW directed dealer to park it in the back lot as VW must work on a software update as several others have been exhibiting the same issue since the TDI update.
WHAT? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? WERE MY FIRST REPLY.
Dealer apologized but had no fix info from VW at all! Started ticket with VW cust. care. Last I heard from them 12/23. still no info! Said they will get back to me by 12/29. Dealer put me into basic model Jetta! VERY UPSET, Maybe keeping the car wasn't such a great decision after all! 90 miles a day for work will cost extra $ VW said they may reimburse me for the financial damage to me. I told Dealer I NEED to get into a comparable car, seeing mine is parked on their lot for the indefinite future!!!!

Signed,
in Limbo in Wisconsin!

2006 Jetta TDI 312,000 miles
2013 Passat TDI 47,000 miles titanium Silver - Black interior
wispassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 15:48   #2
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wispassat View Post
My TDI threw a CEL and P204F00 fault on 12/9 with 200 mile to no restart warning. <snip> VW said they may reimburse me for the financial damage to me. I told Dealer I NEED to get into a comparable car, seeing mine is parked on their lot for the indefinite future!!!!
Signed,
in Limbo in Wisconsin!
Unless VW comes across with adequate compensation (including a comparable car to drive while yours is on hold) sounds to me it'll be time to contact plaintiff counsel.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 05:01   #3
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wispassat View Post
My TDI threw a CEL and P204F00 fault on 12/9 with 200 mile to no restart warning. Took into dealer 12/11. VW directed them to check DEF system for leaks, they found no issues, VW told them to hard reset the DEF level sensor, reset the CEL and give me back the car. That was 3 days in the shop! fast forward to 12/18, Same CEL 200 mile to no restart AGAIN. Took to dealer again 12/19, they Finally told me on 12/23 VW directed dealer to park it in the back lot as VW must work on a software update as several others have been exhibiting the same issue since the TDI update.
WHAT? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? WERE MY FIRST REPLY.
Dealer apologized but had no fix info from VW at all! Started ticket with VW cust. care. Last I heard from them 12/23. still no info! Said they will get back to me by 12/29. Dealer put me into basic model Jetta! VERY UPSET, Maybe keeping the car wasn't such a great decision after all! 90 miles a day for work will cost extra $ VW said they may reimburse me for the financial damage to me. I told Dealer I NEED to get into a comparable car, seeing mine is parked on their lot for the indefinite future!!!!

Signed,
in Limbo in Wisconsin!
Your not the only one

Mine's been in 4-5 times (I've lost count) for the same issue. So far they've worked on the AdBlue tank, drained and refilled it, replaced the NOx sensor and replaced the EGR valve. The car ran fine after the fix (done in July) until it started getting cold just before Thanksgiving. Since then it's gone back into the garage about every week. According to the dealer where mine is being worked on they have about 5 of them with the same problem. Mine is the "canary" car, i.e. it is usually the first one out and back in when the fix doesn't work.

I've found a couple things. First, after getting the car back it usually drives for about 300 miles then the warnings pop on again. Second, if you keep driving it even with the AdBlue countdown going once it gets down to about 50 miles left the AdBlue countdown goes away.
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:26   #4
Nebelwerfer
Veteran Member

Glad I haven't gotten the fix yet.

Hope it gets sorted out soon.

Regards
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:22   #5
KERMA

100% this can be fixed with a tune.

Even if it is SCR locked right now. Simply install the tune and BAM your car is back working perfectly. No fancy VCDS stuff or anything, no mechanical stuff, nothing. Just install a tune and drive away.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Niels Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 10:53   #6
wispassat

Update 12/30/2017 No news is BAD news!
VW called me yesterday 12/29/2017
Left me a voicemail to tell me NOTHING, "we're working on it" Is all they said. Will contact you next Friday 1/5/2018.
At least the dealer got me in a CC loaner for now. They commented that I can only put 2400 miles on it before I need to return it to them. My hope still is I get MY car repaired before then. but it wont take long with 100 miles a day for work! Just put a new battery in it, if it goes dead sitting so long in such cold -10 they will be replacing that too! We briefly discussed compensation on the last call with VW Customer care for financial loss due to mileage difference. I was getting 40MPG with my TDI, the CC is at 26MPG.
Hope you (thegrove) are having better luck with yours, surprised they didn't park yours also.

Old December 31st, 2017, 12:09   #7
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Oh mine is parked now. It's sitting at the dealership waiting for VW to come up with a fix. Service writer is on vacation this past week so I'll touch base with him on Tuesday about getting their loaner once it is repaired.
Old January 2nd, 2018, 10:59   #8
ssaric1.9TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

Yesterday I got the 200 mile adblue message with CEL light on my 2013 Passat, however the adblue message is gone now and there is no countdown but the CEL is still on. My wife drove the car today to work with no issues and I will scan the car later to see which codes I am getting.

What seems to be strange is that the message appeared after I drove the car for almost 200 miles. We were coming back from mountains and about 5 miles from home is when I got the message. If DEF had been frozen I assume that the message would appear a lot earlier. Hopefully its just glitch and all I have to do is turn of the CEL light, according to some of the stories about the NOX fix at the dealer and the wait time I am not looking forward to that.

ssaric1.9TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 18:30   #9
ssaric1.9TDI
Veteran Member

Here are the codes that I got on the Passat. I have erased them and drove the car for about 10 miles and so far nothing. Wife will take it to work tomorrow and we will see if the CEL is going to appear again.

5 Faults Found:
20553 - Reductant System Performance Bank 1
P204F 00 [232] - Malfunction
MIL ON - Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 96369 km
Date: 2018.01.01
Time: 13:41:22
Engine speed: 2252.00 /min
Normed load value: 49.8 %
Vehicle speed: 119 km/h
Coolant temperature: 101 C
Intake air temperature: 49 C
Ambient air pressure: 980 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.540 V
Dynamic environmental data: 20 96
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Long-term adaptation of reduction agent dosage: 1.00
Calculated efficiency of NOx conversion: 0.921
Standardised airflow ratio: 1.3059
Current temperature in NOx reducing catalytic converter: 258.5 C
NOx sensor 1: offset for correction factor: 1 ppm
9614 - Reductant Injector Bank 1
P2049 00 [096] - Short to Plus
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
15733 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1
P20EE 00 [096] - Efficiency too Low
17262 - Terminal 30
U140A 00 [032] - Open Circuit
4629 - ECM Power Relay Load Circuit
P068A 00 [032] - Opens Too Early

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:25   #10
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaric1.9TDI View Post
Yesterday I got the 200 mile adblue message with CEL light on my 2013 Passat, however the adblue message is gone now and there is no countdown but the CEL is still on. My wife drove the car today to work with no issues and I will scan the car later to see which codes I am getting.

What seems to be strange is that the message appeared after I drove the car for almost 200 miles. We were coming back from mountains and about 5 miles from home is when I got the message. If DEF had been frozen I assume that the message would appear a lot earlier. Hopefully its just glitch and all I have to do is turn of the CEL light, according to some of the stories about the NOX fix at the dealer and the wait time I am not looking forward to that.
Welcome to the club. Notice my post #3, you will see this comes on after 200-300 miles of driving.

If you can keep driving it don't take it in to be fixed as there is no fix yet. The word I got from the dealership yesterday is "Volkswagen is working on something but there is no ETA on what that might be or when."
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:11   #11
ssaric1.9TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove View Post
Welcome to the club. Notice my post #3, you will see this comes on after 200-300 miles of driving.

If you can keep driving it don't take it in to be fixed as there is no fix yet. The word I got from the dealership yesterday is "Volkswagen is working on something but there is no ETA on what that might be or when."
Thnx Grove I'll try not to take it to dealership. Hopefully the CEL wont come back and if it does I'll keep erasing it until the fix comes out.

Old January 4th, 2018, 16:05   #12
d2freeman
Veteran Member

Count me in, got the CEL and 200 mile count down on my way home tonight.
I cleared the faults and will see if it comes back on again.
d2freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 16:17   #13
wispassat

Default 200 mile countdown

I agree, after resetting the fault It comes back in about 200 miles. After I got the initial fault and CEL with 200 mile to no restart it did not count down but the CEL stayed lit. I believe you should be able to reset the fault and continue to drive it. Parking at the dealer is NOT a good substitute for driving my car! I mentioned restitution for mileage driving the CC gasser I have as a loaner. They have so far seemed open to the suggestion. We will see! If they made a CC in TDI, I would have bought one!!! NICE car. Looking forward to my conversation with VW Customer care tomorrow. I don't anticipate they will have any answers though. Again we will see. Good luck to all of you suffering the same issue!

Old January 11th, 2018, 09:36   #14
ssaric1.9TDI
Veteran Member

Wanted to give you guys a little update. My wife has been driving the car everyday since I cleared the code and check engine light and so far it has been fine. Check engine light did not come on and car performs great. Lets hope it stays that way.

Old January 11th, 2018, 19:22   #15
wispassat

Default 200 mile countdown

I got the fault on a Saturday, dealer reset it Monday and on the next Monday morning it returned again.