www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old April 18th, 2013, 17:57   #1
Oberkanone
Veteran Member

Default 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid vs. Jetta GLI vs. Jetta TDI vs. Jetta 2.5

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...i-vs-25-review

Car and Driver compares Jettas.
Oberkanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 20:37   #2
gulfcoastguy
Veteran Member

Well that answers my questions about the hybridkay mpg plus premium gas doesn't equal TDI. TDI is even better if you get to use a manual.
gulfcoastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:50   #3
03_01_TDI
Banned

TDI(s): Na

The hybrid was not given full disclosure or details. The SEL premium offers many upgrades such as hid headlamps, fended audio, led tail lamps. Body effects for lower .cd.

The hybrid has a electric only mode for upto 1.1 miles. The dsg will clutch and shut the motor off when coasting. I test drove one and was very impressed. Had it been a golf version I would have easily considered it. The tdi is awesome but its not without known issues that can cost $$$$$ in hassle and repairs.

I would assume a skilled driver could easily top 48-50 mpg in the hybrid which is the same for the tdi.
03_01_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 11:27   #4
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

They left out the 2.0
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:12   #5
Oberkanone
Veteran Member

1.8 will replace 2.5 in 2014 models.
Oberkanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:41   #6
RebelTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_01_TDI View Post
The hybrid was not given full disclosure or details. The SEL premium offers many upgrades such as hid headlamps, fended audio, led tail lamps. Body effects for lower .cd.

The hybrid has a electric only mode for upto 1.1 miles. The dsg will clutch and shut the motor off when coasting. I test drove one and was very impressed. Had it been a golf version I would have easily considered it. The tdi is awesome but its not without known issues that can cost $$$$$ in hassle and repairs.

I would assume a skilled driver could easily top 48-50 mpg in the hybrid which is the same for the tdi.
You may be right. I can get low to mid 40s mpg on my commutes into Boston, and not highway driving. When I am on the highway I'm usually mid 40s to 50 mpg (in warmer weather). I'd love to have one of the hybrids for a week to see how I can do. I'd really try to maximize the regenerative breaking opportunities.
RebelTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 14:18   #7
03_01_TDI
Banned

TDI(s): Na

The regen braking is really quick. I hypermiiled and drained the battery. After just one regen braking period for a u turn I had recharged the lithium ion battery.

If I had been given a long overnight test drive period I may have considered the hybrid even more so if my commute was mostly city. The car would be optimal over a tdi for city use.

VW needs to promote the car better and offer long test drives.
03_01_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 16:50   #8
ShoelessJoe

TDI(s): 2013 Jetta

This was a fun article about some very nice cars. I of course prefer the TDI since I bought one. But I did own an 06 rabbit 2.5 and that was a very nice car also. The biggest complaint about the 2.5 for me was the fuel economy for such a small car.
ShoelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 19:28   #9
qquixotic

Coming out of a Prius I seriously considered the Jetta hybrid, and drove one right after having driven the TDI Passat. I liked it. It drove much more nicely than my Prius IMHO and though I doubt it would do as well for mileage, I would have been happy to make the slight trade off for better driving characteristics. But... it was too late, because I was already sold on the Passat--bigger, quieter and even peppier with the TDI. More comfortable highway car. I know it will be more expensive to maintain, but just hoping for adequate reliability. Also, the Jetta hybrid expensive even compared to the Jetta TDI. The Passat seemed a lot more car for the money. The Jetta hybrid is also competing against the Fusion hybrid and soon the Accord, both in the same price range.
qquixotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 22:29   #10
Nextwhat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
They left out the 2.0
Yeah, and given that VW leads off so much advertising with the 2.0's price point, they should have included it. If only to make the other engine offerings look that much better!
Nextwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:21   #11
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextwhat View Post
Yeah, and given that VW leads off so much advertising with the 2.0's price point, they should have included it. If only to make the other engine offerings look that much better!
I can say that in Quebec, the majority of Jettas are the 2.0 followed very closely by TDIs; 2.5s are in the minority and hybrids rare still. So it would have made sense to include the model that most people buy.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:10   #12
specsalot
Veteran Member

I just traded away my TDI for the Hybrid. The TDI was great when logging lots of miles, but family driving patterns were shifting and it was time to look at alternatives.

Did a 300 mile RT yesterday:

~39.8 MPG (computer) outbound - highway - cruise (72MPH) - AC on
Golf TDI would consistently do 41-42 MPG on this kind of run.

~46.9 MPG (computer) return leg - secondary roads - 55-60MPH - AC off
Golf TDI would typically do this at 44-45 MPG on this kind of run

The Hybrid is snappy but it is NO TDI. When you consider energy / mile rather than gallons / mile and the fact that diesel has ~ 30% more energy content / gallon, the Hybrid would have gotten ~ 61 MPG (46.9 x 1.3) if the engine had been diesel rather than gasoline. I doubt VW will be building a diesel hybrid any time soon.
'88 Porsche 944 Turbo
specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote