www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:09   #16
Sootman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30 +/- MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrobin View Post
Nothing super-fancy today. Just a freshly-washed car in the 100 degree heat. Shiny car is shiny.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled summer.
I always used Zaino cleaning and polish products. I use them now on my '06. Your pictures make a good advertisement for them if you're still using there stuff. Either way it looks great.
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/index.php
Dyno: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=352348
Sootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:28   #17
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see Fuelly tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sootman View Post
I always used Zaino cleaning and polish products. I use them now on my '06. Your pictures make a good advertisement for them if you're still using there stuff. Either way it looks great.
I'm a Zaino man as well, and I'm given to understand that Snadam used Zaino, making it an unbroken tradition.

I washed the car with Z-7, followed up with some Z-8 Grand Finale and topped it with Z-CS clear seal last time around. I have Z-AIO for the next time a more serious re-polishing is in order, and I'm thinking about getting some Z-5 to touch up small scratches.
Old June 28th, 2012, 18:48   #18
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Today I got into this:

so that I could remove these:

and then replace this:

The metal was quite hot (it was about 105 F in the shade, of which there was none), and my hands are roughly the size of Virginia hams. The result of these facts, combined with the cramped space, caused this:

It looks like a very thin sunburn now. Why I never seem to remember to put on work gloves for this sort of thing is a mystery to me.

Happy Ventectomy Day!
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:33   #19
snadam
Veteran Member

I'm loving the thread, thanks! It was a pleasure to have the two of you stay with us (other than the airline-induced-late-arrival).
-
As you mentioned earlier in the thread, the fuel consumption numbers are optimistic. With new tires that should get a bit better and if it continues to bother you I'm sure Jeff could tweak it for you.
-
Zaino car care products are a way of life around here so you are indeed continuing the tradition that started with Sootman.
-
If you ever decide that you want to squeeze more power out of the mill just throw a set of R520's and an appropriate program in the ECU. The car breathes very well already and the shorter injection window should net you less smoke and a bit better fuel economy.

Cheers,
Adam
Old June 30th, 2012, 18:46   #20
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

First step toward Shiny Car achieved:

Purchased an all-chrome version of the OEM grill to replace the Kami grill. Two reasons: firstly, the Kami grill was peeling in several places, and secondly, I really like having a car that says "VW and Proud!" front and back.

Shiny grill achieved.

Close-up!

Next step is installing the chromed side mirror covers to replace the broken green one on the passenger side and the unbroken matte black one on the driver side.

Hoping, heat permitting, to get that done tomorrow.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 20:26   #21
jbleu101
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 Avg for mixed driving

Great thread. Funny enough to keep me reading to the end. Lucky you your girlfriend would take a trip like that. Lucky her you'd take her on this trip. How did you come up with the names of the cars?
Oh, and for the record, I think the pic you took is of clover. Idk if it is a wildflower, but it is surely not a weed. Looks like a good time was had by all.
Rocketchip Stage II
Garrett VNT-17
Bosch T4 Transporter Injectors
VR 6 Clutch 18# flywheel
5 Speed, Cold Weather Package, TDI Heater
OEM Steel Skidplate, Audi TT front anti-sway bar
ON CCV, ON SS Filler Cap (MIA)
Vented, Coolant Migration Mod
50% Front, 38% Rear tint (OH Legal)
Euro Switch, Rear Fogs
GTI 25th AE headlights w/leveling
157,000 Miles 7/04/2010
bleu TDI
jbleu101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 21:25   #22
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbleu101 View Post
Great thread. Funny enough to keep me reading to the end.
Thanks.

Quote:
Lucky you your girlfriend would take a trip like that. Lucky her you'd take her on this trip.
It was good to have someone along, and she takes great pictures, too. The opportunity to take photographs across half the country was hard to pass up, and I'd like to think getting to spend the time with me sweetened the deal a bit.

Quote:
How did you come up with the names of the cars?
I picked Mjolnir because the platinum grey color reminds me of the shading of Thor's hammer in Marvel comics (in Norse myth they're never that specific about what color it was). I've always been both a comics geek and a mythology buff, so that was literally the first color association I had when I saw the car.

Yggdrasil is the World Tree in Norse mythology. Supposedly it was so vast that its branches and roots connected all nine worlds of Norse myth.

So, having sold Mjolnir to my girlfriend, it seemed appropriate to name my new dark green Jetta after a green part of Norse myth, to keep it "in the family." Doubly so since the journey to get it connected two TDI club members across half a country.

Quote:
Oh, and for the record, I think the pic you took is of clover. Idk if it is a wildflower, but it is surely not a weed. Looks like a good time was had by all.
Yep. Looks like purple prairie clover. It was certainly a refreshing sight, coming out of the room in the morning. The room was decorated in shades best described as "I wouldn't drink that milk if I were you" white and "This reminds me of that scene in the Exorcist" yellowish-green. Mother Nature is a much better decorator.
Old July 7th, 2012, 23:30   #23
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Took Yggdrasil out to the car wash (in 105 F temps with a heat index of 116 -- what the **** was I thinking? ), followed by a couple of passes with Zaino Z-8 Grand Finale spray. Then went back home and stayed in until it got under 100 outside.

Upshot: Shiny car is shiny once more!

Reflecting on the reflections . . . yeah, man, yeah.

I had some reflections, they were clouds on my Jetta, clouds on my Jetta . . . yeah, I made a Carly Simon reference. What?
Old July 11th, 2012, 14:41   #24
Gilty_one
Veteran Member

I love that you named your cars Yggdrasil & Mjolnir.

Gilty_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 23:58   #25
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilty_one View Post
I love that you named your cars Yggdrasil & Mjolnir.

Well, they are German cars, after all.

I named the '03 Mjolnir because the metallic grey always reminded me of the depiction of Thor's hammer in Marvel comics and movies.

Having done that, of course the green '01 had to be Yggdrasil -- that's the greenest thing in Norse mythology, after all.
Old October 5th, 2012, 00:28   #26
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

This past Saturday, Yggdrasil went over to CoolairVW to get my new HFLO-X "Warp 6" nozzles installed, chrome side mirror covers put on, and to see what could be done about the front bumper (which has never quite set flush on the passenger side).

Hung out with my girlfriend, talked with CoolairVW and dogdots, got my car fixed up. I can think of worse ways to spend a day.

There's the nozzles, ready to be set up.

I need to get me one of those fancy, bendy drivers.

Stop . . . hammertime.

All ready to test the tightness. Hoping for no fuel leakage, but prepared just in case. Got it on the second try.

Side mirror naked . . .

and with shiny new outfit.

Stylin'! Even got some of that Star Trek reboot lens flare in there. I hear that makes the car go faster, but it may lead to hair loss in Romulans.

Last edited by Woodrobin; October 5th, 2012 at 02:49. Reason: credit where credit is due
Woodrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:31   #27
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Looking good, but with all that bling, you need to polish those headlight lenses.
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:59   #28
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1854sailor View Post
Looking good, but with all that bling, you need to polish those headlight lenses.
That's next on my list.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 18:12   #29
Woodrobin
Veteran Member

Yggdrasil, myself and my better half went over to CoolairVW Saturday to get some work done.

First, pulled the HID ballasts, then removed the grill in preparation for replacing the headlights.

Just a little foggy there.

There was a bit of a snag removing the bumper cover. Some of the screws were screwed up.

CoolairVW had to deal with them sternly. They yielded to his persuasive argument as to why they should come the **** off my car.

Eventually.

Testing the headlights to make sure they work before installing them. CoolairVW had to replace the low beam bulbs. Both of them had broken in transit, though the fogs and high beams were fine.

There's righty.

There's lefty, extreme closeup version.

Also replaced the front bumper cover. That required CoolairVW to do some surgery to accommodate the front-mounted intercooler. The headlghts look good, IMHO.

Work nicely, too.

Very sharp cutoff and good pattern on the low beams.

High beams are high.

Also replaced a taillight that was cracked open when I almost missed a light pole backing up. I cannot explain who thought it was a good idea to put a light pole in the middle of a set of parking spaces out by a lake. I really can't.

CoolairVW was, as ever, a gracious host and skilled gear guru. I really can't say enough good things about his work or his professionalism. Seriously, folks. He's good people.

Last edited by Woodrobin; July 27th, 2013 at 20:12.
Woodrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 17:37   #30
DMViergever

I will keep an eye out for you around Topeka, very sharp car. That crane seems to be a very common fixture by the capital building these days...
DMViergever is offline   Reply With Quote