www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 17th, 2012, 19:09   #31
jhax
Veteran Member

I used microsoft visio. I'm sure it could have been drawn a lot better im sure but I'm sure it would have taken a lot more time. Your set up is similar to mine, I want to use a MK3 jetta TDI cluster though. Im jonsing, i did all of this drawing in order to pass time so I can get more money for the first part of the build, now that I finished the schematic, and still dont have the money, my hands are tied. Thank you for finding out about that possible pigtailed wire. If you have any advice on building these up dont hesitate to share.

Justin
jhax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:33   #32
dubCanuck1
Veteran Member

I did a bunch of digging last night. Seems I have several flavors of exterior harnesses, but the only interior side I have is from a MKIV 2.0 gasser (2002 I believe). However, there are many instances in that harness (and in the engine-side harnesses) whereby there are more than one wire going into each plug, and some wires that go off into taped-up dead ends (from the factory). I unfortunately don't have a NB inside bit.

I have an earlier and later MKIV Jetta TDI engine side harness and some of the plugs aren't the same colors. The T6 on one of my harnesses is red, not brown.
dubCanuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:59   #33
jhax
Veteran Member

I didnt use any interior wiring harness diagrams when i made my schematic.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 16:14   #34
dubCanuck1
Veteran Member

Sorry for being unclear. I meant the "receiver" side of the 6 and 10-pin connectors. The parts that run into the cabin to the fusebox/relays/etc from the connection in the rain tray.

BTW, I plotted your diagrams out. Waaaaay easier to read like that. Seeing as I had slightly different wires on my plugs, I went through much the same exercise as you did on the harness I have and marked up the diagram. Are you working from an existing harness that you have? If you've got a harness (the interior engine part, as I mentioned above), I've got a few questions for you.
dubCanuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 00:24   #35
jhax
Veteran Member

I dont have any wires at all whatsoever. Im buying a NB harness and ecu from Dave. As you know Im on the hunt for a diesel golf.
Old May 24th, 2012, 00:24   #36
jhax
Veteran Member

But ask away anyway
Old June 25th, 2012, 11:04   #37
jhax
Veteran Member

Hey everyone! Little update. Bought myself a car! 86 golf diesel 4 door westy. It's in immaculate condition. Flew out to Oklahoma City and drove it back to Tempe AZ, that two days could definitely be produced in a Top Gear episode. I am so excited to be back in a VW.

Old November 15th, 2012, 21:06   #38
jhax
Veteran Member

Very small update, nothing motor related sad to say, I did however get a new suspension, Neuspeed 1.5" lowering springs and kyb gr-2 shocks. Needless to say it rides much better. I think I'm finally going to treat myself a little bit and finally get the block bored out. My plan is to get the car slowly ready for the swap, as you all may know I made a wiring diagram, i just need to get all of the wiring and get on it. Hopefully my hookah business will pick up shortly and Ill be able to make some money (www.facebook.com/HaxsHookahs if anyone is interested, winkie face). Here is a picture.

Old January 31st, 2013, 22:27   #39
jhax
Veteran Member

Hey everyone, still alive. Keeping very busy with school, NASA space grant, possible JPL summer internship and such. I have not at all been able to work on the engine at all. Ohh such is life i guess, I guess ill just have to wait for my next tax return. I really want to get this started. First thing is first, send the engine out to get it bored to fit the pistons.
Old March 5th, 2013, 16:11   #40
jhax
Veteran Member

Alright! A year later and progress is progressing. Sent the block to get honed and the crank to get polished. Well the crank came back today and I must say I am impressed, the engine spun a couple bearings.
Before:

After:

Thanks to the guys at Competition Engineering
Old March 19th, 2013, 15:04   #41
jhax
Veteran Member

Got the block back, here are some pictures of this bored and decked block goodness.

Next, ill do a mock up and check piston protrusion.

Last edited by jhax; March 19th, 2013 at 17:27.
Old May 27th, 2014, 00:54   #42
EvilBunny

any update?

did you convert to ce2 first or just wire it into the westy?

slow n low
EvilBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 17:09   #43
jhax
Veteran Member

Yeah! Sorry, I am really just taking it slow and doing it right. I graduated from college last December, moved back to CO and got a great career helping design and test the telemetry software for the JWST. I just did a CE2 swap in the ol' girl a few weeks ago. Took a couple weeks to work out the bugs but she runs great now. Much cooler than before. I made a chart for the conversion. I had to swap one wire because my instrument cluster was acting wired...

Instrument Cluster
-this can come from any CE2 Mk2, but be aware that the 1989 models and 1990-1992 models are different. The 89s are built like CE1 clusters, and use a separate relay for coolant level while the 90-92 has that built in. The 90-92 needs the 90-92 cluster harness, the 89 can use any 89-92 harness. Also, the coolant level wire on the engine harness will need to be in a different spot for 89 vs. 90-92 (C/6 for 89, C/8 for 90+), in addition to the position 5 "43" relay for 89 clusters. You can tell the difference in clusters by the coolant light. 89s have it in the gauge, 90-92 has it in the LED strip.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...sic-components)

I relayed my headlight harness, converted to mk3 headlight wiring with the barrel connector and ran them through the inner fender wall for a semi shaved look, swapped in cherokee hella headlight buckets and am rocking yellow H4 bulbs. Ill hide everything else once I swap the TDI in. Ripped out my A/C since I live in CO now and not AZ and found a sicrocco radiator and threw on a 12" pusher fan.

Got the block on a stand, just waiting for Matt Whitbread to ship me the girdle. After I get that, I can start and finish the bottom end.
Old October 14th, 2014, 15:29   #44
jhax
Veteran Member

FINALLY! PROGRESS!!! Got the block girdle courtesy of Mr. Whitbread. Time to get this bottom end finished. More updates to come.
Old October 14th, 2014, 18:15   #45
jhax
Veteran Member

I pulled out the rod bearings I bought a couple years ago and got around to looking at the label on the box. Looks like I got the wrong ones, the box says they are for an AHU/1Z motor. Looks like im going to need to get new ones. My question is, for my power goals what brand of bearings should I get? I have the IE H-Beam rods. Turns out I completely forgot about the main caps too so Ill have to get those machined as well, most likely the block (main cap part) as well. Any suggestions?