Flashing Glow Plug Assistance (000741, 00750)

Oreganoflow

TDI
MK3 TDi Jetta
I've got the flashing glow plug issue from the above two codes:

00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring
00750 - Warning Lamp: Open or short to ground

Glow plug light goes off when the brake pedal is pressed, but comes back on again a couple minutes later.

I've researched both and can't seem to resolve this problem by doing what is called for to resolve both codes. I've also noticed cruise control doesn't work (I purchased a new cruise control switch but haven't installed yet)

- all brake lights work (no led bulbs)
- changed glow plugs, harness, relay, all rear lights
- changed both brake switches (blue and black) and recalibrated both plungers

Another note, I had gotten pretty deep into trouble shooting but can't remember where in VCDS I was checking for brake pedal 000/010 monitoring. 0 would change to a 1 when pressing the brake pedal. I do recall one of them was showing a 1 when it should have been a 0. Or was it vice-versa...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The brake switch has two sets of contacts, one for the brake lights and one for the cruise control. A failure of either one triggers a flashing glow plug "fix me now" MIL warning, and given your symptoms it sure sounds like it's the cruise control side of the switch that's gone south.

Normally I am not a big fan of shotgun troubleshooting, but in the case of flashing glowplug lights and brake switch codes I'd suggest just replacing the switch and see if it fixes things...they are cheap and the job is quick.

One of those "by the time you read 10 random internet suggestions you could have already fixed it" kinda things. :)

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
What kind of brake bulbs do you have? I had the same problem on mine, come to find out, someone had put led brake light bulbs in.

Edit: noticed you stated no led bulbs... be sure they are the right number bulb though, there are several that fit, but some don't have the right resistance.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oreganoflow

TDI
MK3 TDi Jetta
I do have LED headlights. I hope and assume this isn't the problem.

I'll try swapping out all the tail lights today as there were there before I purchased the vehicle.

Oreganoflow

TDI
MK3 TDi Jetta
Added brand new 7528 brake light bulbs, problem persists.

Any other ideas? I’m sure I’m not the first to have this specific problem...?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Perhaps I missed it... have you replaced the brake light switch... ie... maybe you got a dud the first time? Where did your new switches come from?

Another option, track down someone with VCDS and you can explicitly monitor both sides of the brake switch.

Last edited:

Oreganoflow

TDI
MK3 TDi Jetta
I was thinking about replacing the switches, again.

I have VCDS but I don't recall the module I was in that monitored the 0's and 1's in real time while pressing the brake pedal.

Might you know?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can't remember off the top of my head, but Ross Tech's site will have the info.

It's one field with multiple bits, and there's one bit each for the two brake switch contacts and a third for the clutch switch IIRC.

Oreganoflow

TDI
MK3 TDi Jetta
So... after replacing all the tail light and all brake switches, I found the problem after a year of troubleshooting a flashing glow plug light and the codes above. I had also purchased a cruise control switch to replace for when I did the heater core and flap rehab, but couldn't find where to replace the switch. Reason being, the car didn't have cruise control and I had mistakingly replaced with a cruise control stalk when I removed the steering wheel. The fix was simply disconnecting the cruise control stalk harness connector and problem solved. I just have to replace the stalk with a non cruise control one. I have it.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
So... after replacing all the tail light and all brake switches, I found the problem after a year of troubleshooting a flashing glow plug light and the codes above. I had also purchased a cruise control switch to replace for when I did the heater core and flap rehab, but couldn't find where to replace the switch. Reason being, the car didn't have cruise control and I had mistakingly replaced with a cruise control stalk when I removed the steering wheel. The fix was simply disconnecting the cruise control stalk harness connector and problem solved. I just have to replace the stalk with a non cruise control one. I have it.
That's a very strange situation, was your car a regular US import? All mk3 Jetta TDI cars had cruise as standard equipment so I don't know why the switch removal would solve your problem unless the replacement switch you removed was faulty.

This is a very curious situation.

Steve

Oreganoflow

TDI
MK3 TDi Jetta
My car doesn't have the cruise control silver box next to the white box behind the light switch, so I'm assuming it never came with cruise control.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
My car doesn't have the cruise control silver box next to the white box behind the light switch, so I'm assuming it never came with cruise control.
TDI doesn't require separate cruise module (silver box), the ECU handles the cruise function and because the car is DBW it is a much cleaner setup.

Steve

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pretty sure all TDIs have cruise as standard... 'cause it's just a few extra lines of software plus the clutch, brake, and stalk switches.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ah damn. How do I know if I have it then?
Like Vince (and I before) said, all Mk3 Jetta cars (starting 1995) had cruise control as standard equipment. At least for US import (and probably Canada too).

It was standard in 1993 on Jetta GLS and in 1994 on GLS and GLX too.

You have it, you just need the correct stalk.

Steve