www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old April 5th, 2020, 22:02   #1
Dustinicus

TDI(s): none yet
Default single mass flywheel conversion?

I read a lot about people switching to the single mass, but havent been able to pin down the clutch. could I use the DMF pressure plate on the SMF? Or does this require the use of an entirely different clutch and pressure plate?
I ask because the conversion I am doing allows me to use the stock flywheel and pressure plate, but I have been reading that the SMF is a far superior unit, and the center appears to have clearance so i am not limited by the clutch I can use.
Thank you
Dustin
Dustinicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 05:23   #2
G60ING
Veteran Member

What transmission are you using?
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 06:02   #3
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

“None yet” should be ok with any clutch or combination.

It would be good to know what car and year you are talking about.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 11:08   #4
Dustinicus

The engine is from an 06 jetta BRM with a 5 speed. I got the engine for a 4wd project. It's going into a 96 dodge neon, on a shortened 91 f150 frame, with an 80's jeep t176 transmission. I took the 5 speed apart, saved the bellhousing section and cut the differential part off of it, and I'm working on making a spacer/adapter between the transmission and bellhousing (it needs a spacer for proper input shaft engagement)

So the clutch needs to be 10 spline but the diameter has to be closer to 8.5" to fit the flywheel and pressure plate.

I was wondering if I could use the pressure plate I have with the dual mass flywheel, or would I need a different one with a single mass flywheel.
I hope that helped to clear things up a bit.
Dustin
Old April 6th, 2020, 11:51   #5
G60ING
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinicus View Post
The engine is from an 06 jetta BRM with a 5 speed. I got the engine for a 4wd project. It's going into a 96 dodge neon, on a shortened 91 f150 frame, with an 80's jeep t176 transmission. I took the 5 speed apart, saved the bellhousing section and cut the differential part off of it, and I'm working on making a spacer/adapter between the transmission and bellhousing (it needs a spacer for proper input shaft engagement)

So the clutch needs to be 10 spline but the diameter has to be closer to 8.5" to fit the flywheel and pressure plate.

I was wondering if I could use the pressure plate I have with the dual mass flywheel, or would I need a different one with a single mass flywheel.
I hope that helped to clear things up a bit.
Dustin

You are in relatively uncharted territory, good luck
G60ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 12:05   #6
AndyBees
Veteran Member

In my conversion project, I went in the opposite direction. I decided that the DMF would be better for the transmission (02 ALH engine in an 84 Vanagon). The DMF is smooth and quiet as well as provides a good shift.

I agree that you are in uncharted territory.

I sold my only SMF, otherwise I'd do some comparison for you.
Old April 6th, 2020, 21:58   #7
Dustinicus

I kind of figured I would be relatively alone in this, but I appreciate your input either way
Dustin

EDIT: I jsut wanted to add that part of the reason for my question is because I read that the SMF is 228mm. If that is the friction surface, and searches for a stock replacement are correct, then I could in fact use a 9" clutch disk, and that would greatly increase the clutches I have available to me.
thanks again

Last edited by Dustinicus; April 6th, 2020 at 22:59. Reason: wanted to add information pertinent to subject