Draw back to 90* orientation AHU

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
In my conversation swap on the 944 I plan on mounting the ahu in. 90* up and down. I'm running a dry sump to A: clear the steering rack and sub frame on the 944, and B: to lower the engine so it will clear the hood. I'm going to run an electrical water, ps, and possibly ac, but the engine needs more or less to sit 90* upright to clear enough room for the compound turbo and for the block to clear the steering shaft to the 944s sub frame.
My question is, what drawbacks to this orientation are there? Only thing I can think of is the oil pick up (solved for other reasons) and the drain of the oil on the head. Will it pool up excess oil on the head? What else could be an issue and how can I solve it?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
lots of people run them straight up in 4x4s with the stock pan and everything

heck, in the vanagon they run them tilted back something like 60deg, and that's what I ended up doing with my insight, though I wouldn't recommend it for vertical clearance, as the injection pump sticks up just as high as the valve cover did.

One thing to consider is that the clutch and flywheel isn't much shallower than the oil pan, so...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The 944 has a crossmember right up front vs the Jetta has it next to the firewall. The engine is going front to back so there is nothing but air back there for the clutch.
Measured out, the oil pan is going to hit the crossmember right up about 1" back from front (belt side) edge of the pan.
I was pretty sure it could go however in any way as long as the pick up is submerged. Thanks!
This will all be much clearer once the 944 is in the garage.
Speaking of that, just got rid of the van so she is going in possibly this afternoon (Sunday) so keep an eye out for that update!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
AHU still has the "distributor driven" style oil pump, right?
should be able to put a real big dent in the front of the pan for clearance. Can't do that on ALH and later because the oil pump is right up front there

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yea it does. maybe i dont need to go nuts with a dry sump! (FOR NOW)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5348162
still need to install a girdle plate. i was also thinking of having some custom main caps made out of chromemolly that will sit flush with the block once torqued so i can get more strength out of it vs the shims you make for the girdle plate.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
meh, mains aren't trouble on these, messing with them might cause you more trouble than solution
if you're scared of them, just grind the crank so they're a couple thousandths looser

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
meh, mains aren't trouble on these, messing with them might cause you more trouble than solution
if you're scared of them, just grind the crank so they're a couple thousandths looser
Say what?
Maybe your not remembering that this is a 400hp target build. Possible much higher with some I injectables. I've been told by every tunner I have talked to about this and the ones who have done high hp builds that the crank can handle it, but the block mains cant with out a girdle.

The only reason I'm thinking about this stuff now is that i need the clearance. Internals will wait till the swaps done, but pan clearance is going to be an issue.

Suzuki_dude

TDI
'95 Sidekick
Just run it where it fits. Cut/hammer the pan if needed. My AHU powered Sidekick has it nearly vertical. I haven't measured the exact angle because it doesn't really matter to me. You might want to make a new mark on the dipstick if you're picky.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I ran my ABA 2.0 in my Samurai vertical for a few years using a Keltec kit, then I took the ABA out and put it in my 86 Vanagon at the OE diesel angle which I think was about 60 degrees. I had the parts from an early 1.6D van so I used the oil filler, and dipstick as well as the oil pan, mounts, bellhousing, and input shaft.

I had to modify the engine cover to accommodate the larger intake manifold on the ABA otherwise was a good fit.

It is possible to find or make the necessary parts for your swap to work, perhaps the 60 degree angle will work better but there is not a lot of room for the turbo(s) where the passenger side motor mount will be.

Sounds like a fun project!