www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old December 18th, 2012, 18:02   #16
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 130 MPGe

The sound in your video sounds like the fuel pump in the fuel tank rather than the AdBlue pump. Notice that the sound gets louder as you go towards the fuel tank and away from the AdBlue tank.

I'll try and grab a video for you to compare in a few minutes.

LOL @ low flux capacitor.
Old December 18th, 2012, 18:43   #17
pleopard
Veteran Member

shut the vehicle off and listen. Do you hear an electric motor winding a gear just prior to the noise disappearing? If so, it's the exhaust throttle.
Old December 18th, 2012, 19:29   #18
HBRD_KLR
Veteran Member

So once I put the keys into the ignition and turn it without starting the car it sounds like whatever it is its spooling or starting up. Once I start the car the noise continues. When I shut off the car the noise continues for a split second then shuts off. When I get a chance I'll upload another video.
Old December 18th, 2012, 19:44   #19
pleopard
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBRD_KLR View Post
So once I put the keys into the ignition and turn it without starting the car it sounds like whatever it is its spooling or starting up. Once I start the car the noise continues. When I shut off the car the noise continues for a split second then shuts off. When I get a chance I'll upload another video.
You know, my comments are really based on the CJAA engine and the sounds I'm familiar with from that system. The fuel injection system, EGR, and exhaust system are really quite different on your engine, so I may be wrong. However, the sound in the video sounds distinctly like what I hear from my car. It's the sound of stepper motors. The CJAA engine has more than one. There's one that actuates the exhaust throttle and also an intake flap motor. At any rate, I doubt what you're hearing is any cause for concern.
Old December 18th, 2012, 20:29   #20
HBRD_KLR
Veteran Member

Trust me, I really appreciate the support from this community regardless if it's something that I need to worry about or not. I am concerned because I have had the car for over three months and put on over 11000 and had not noticed this noise until now. I really hope it's normal cause the passat has been a extraordinary commuter thus far and hoping that it will keep me going.
Old December 18th, 2012, 22:25   #21
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 130 MPGe

I think you're paranoid from reading HPFP threads in the Mk6 forums!
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:17   #22
TBKnbaNYC

I'm experiencing what seems to be the exact name noise... did some searching and found this thread. My car isn't even broken in yet tho... haven't even hit 200 miles hahaha... brand new.

I was planning on asking the dealership at my "30 day" service appointment. I think my high pitch sound is louder than yours
TBKnbaNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:48   #23
superchud

3200 miles here on my Passat and I hear the same thing. I attribute it to the fuel pump as I had mine replaced at the 550 mile mark and hear the same sound. I believe it's just part of the normal operating sounds of the fuel system.
Old December 12th, 2013, 15:15   #24
PassatSE4me
Veteran Member

You can freak all you want. It's normal.
Old March 3rd, 2020, 09:58   #25
gringojosh

TDI(s): Passat

I find a lot of strange TDI noises are fixed by just pretending the car is an airplane. The high pitched noise is just like jet engine whine.
gringojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2020, 06:19   #26
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Stepper motors for the exhaust throttles.
and intake and rail pressure valves and like 100 other things on the car that are controlled via PWM.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote