Instrument lights, headlight switch lights& HVAC

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
On my way home from work when I turned my euro switch to the city light position, none of the lights that I mentioned in the title turned to the on position. I switched it back and forth a couple times. Then finally it worked. All connections behind the switch are tight. This happened one time in the beginning of the winter for a split second. I tried the switch 10 times when I got home, and works fine....What is this about? It's not coolant migration BTW.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
I'd guess a bad light switch if the plug is seated tightly in the back of the switch.
I wonder if all those items are on the same fuse. You might have a fuse on the fritz or maybe got a little corrosion or grit in the fuse holder.

das_tractor02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 and 2001 Beetle GLS, Reflex Silver 5 speed
Powerstroke, You dont happen to know if you also lose your turn signals, fog lights and fan blower motor during this phenomenon. It's not that I know what the problem is. I have the same thing happening from time to time.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I don't know. I was so busy futzing with the switch when I saw that no lights were illuminated, I did not take notice. The car sucks, it's one thing after another. Love/Hate is the best way to describe it. It has only happened 2x in the past 6-7 months. Once was yesterday. I am starting to hear theNew car showrooms call me. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

das_tractor02

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 and 2001 Beetle GLS, Reflex Silver 5 speed
I leave the house for work at 0-dark thirty and had to burn a vaction day because of this. All fuses checked OK. Later in the morning I tried it again and the very thing was fine. About the only conclusion we could come up with that made any sense was maybe a loose chassis ground common to that string of components. Might have something to with that 20 pound raccoon I frieght trained back in January. Shop had the entire front body clip off replacing all kinds of supports and various internal plastic parts. I guess its possible that they failed to snug up a terminal.