Free crank pulley holder tool for torquing crank bolt

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I was just going to use an impact and run it 90 degrees but decided against it because it was a torque to yield bolt. I replaced the harmonic balancer so i popped out the center ring plate and welded it to a conveniently notched old lawnmower blade that leaves it exactly on TDC resting against the control arm. I torqued to 66ft lb then 90 degrees with a 2ft 1/2" ratchet without much difficulty. I did notice that the new timing sprocket seemed to have a couple degrees of play in rotating the "D" so i set to so it would have pressure against the stop when roatating clockwise so even it was loose or something it shouldnt affect timing under load. The crank snout and sproket looked fine to me, the old one i removed had the same play.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Pretty gnarly looking, but function over form.

The one I made a few years back isn't pretty but it works. Basically the same principle, but mine chocks itself against the rear of the block. I overbuilt it because I read a lot of people saying how much torque it took to get the additional 90°.

Getting the additional 90° isn't terrible... I did it with a 18" breaker bar.

-Todd

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I didn't even clean the metal or try to make it look good haha. I looked over and saw a spare mower blade and was like yup that'll work. And it did. If I had to do it every day I'd have made it nicer but with 320k I'm pretty sure this crank sprocket will outlast the motor