Burned out head lights?

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GLS Jetta Bright Green
Hi all,
I've been reading here about all the folks having burned out head lamps.
I was wondering if part of the problem was the hand brake.
I set my hand brake religiously every time I park. The hand brake turns off the head lights.
I was wondering.... if the hand brake wasn't set prior to cranking the engine that voltage spikes might be the reason for premature headlamp failure.
I've got almost 100,000 kilometers on my y2k Jetta now with no failures of the kind.
Feel free to flame me.
As a proffessonal pilot for too many years now I've been trained as every aviator and av tech is that prior to start up on aircraft only essential items are turned on in part to revent voltage spikes.
Comments
Cheers

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Pete...
I had to quietly smile when I had read your post...its a habit that will be with you the rest of your life. Even when I start my J. Deere tractor...I do a visual scan...and check that EVERY thing is set to .....off,...safe or normal position befor the hit start button....Battery connected.. Mags on...fuel on...LOL...Hyd. press up & steady @ 3K, brakes set...flaps at 27%...deice on...raido check...tower clearance to start...Thats a go to start the TDI....taxi to the runway and await further clearance

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
While I doubt there is a voltage spike of any significance during the start, your method does ensure that you will have the maximum amount of current available from your battery to turn the engine over.

The car probably sheds most of the electrical loads when you turn the key far enough to crank the engine. But minimizing the drain on the battery before engine start is certainly not a bad idea, particularly in the dead of winter. It's been so long since I've started my car without the hand brake engaged I don't remember what happens.

My Saab killed the lights during cranking and kept the a/c off for 15 seconds after engine start.

A test of your hypothesis could be made by comparing headlight failure rates between those with automatics (who I would think would be less inclined to use the hand brake, though it is a good habit) and those with manuals.

It seems like there are some cars which go through a lot of bulbs and others that don't.

I really don't think it's an epidemic... I rarely see a winking VW.

dndkk

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I have to disagree with that last post..I always seem to see a VW with a burned out light, although it usually is a brake or turn signal light. I have a 2001 and have changed both of the back lights..I have a 87 Camry and haven't changed any of the lights yet..!! Just my two cents..

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
PTP....Unless I misread your original post, I understood that the hand brake prevents DRLs from going on, but mine go on anyway. Checked it today after reading your post...sure enough, parking brake on, started car with the wife out front to check. DRLs came on with the turn of the ignition. So much for preventing power surge, eh? Mine is a '02 Golf.....DK

PetethePilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GLS Jetta Bright Green
Hi DK,

Mines a Y2K Jetta.
Maybe the Golf & Beetle are different???? I can't understand why they would be though, GOTDIESEL makes another good point ... Besides voltage spikes , the high current draw required on starting TDi's.... those lights should be off!
Maybe you should ask your VW service rep about it. Your 02 Golf should still be under warranty.
Cheers Pete