Switca

SilverJettaTDI

Veteran Member
Wow what a shock. I too was just thinking about him recently and wondering why I haven't seen him post in a while. I always liked his humor. He had a way of really making you laugh. He will be missed.

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
Damnit!

Why does this always happen to the good guys?

Travel safe my friend. I'll miss your sharp wit and good advice.

saabguru

Veteran Member
How awfully young for him to die. I have been doing some thinking about this event lately. He sounds like he was right in the midst of the best part of his life. It's good to see he did some of the things he really wanted to.
The feeling of closeness you can get from online pals is really remarkable. I have been on a small, closed mailing list for over five years, met 20% of the people on it, and I would be devastated if I ever lost them.
I've always wondered how one's online life interfaces with the "real world" when the inevitable happens. Seems pretty normally, kind of like people talking face to face.
You're in my thoughts and prayers, Switca.
Vaya con Dios.

speedrcr

Veteran Member
This is very sad news. I met Switca at TDI Fest 2k. Driv'n EZ's pic reminds me of talking to him at the show that day

My Condolences to his family....he will be missed.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
I just got some more info from Dave:
I went to your forum page on Matt, It's nice to see that so many people met and liked him. He was quite a guy and the best friend any body could ever have. We met in high school, what seems like a million years ago. We had a lot of good times together, bad times too, but, we were always there for each other. His parents died 17 years ago and he only has a few relatives left in Ct. and they are all elderly. He has one cousin he kept in touch with.

My family and him were and always will be close. We were there for him when his Mom and Dad died, and now we are there for him. What more can you do for a friend?

Matt was the best man in my wedding. I'm sorry I'll never be able to return the favor.

Reading through the tributes to Mat, I saw what The Ripster, and TDI Believer said about his hat. I am sending along a picture of "Switca of Arabia" Please post it for me. You can also post this letter if you want.

I'm glad to see that you guys miss Matt, because he is sorely missed here.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Matt was the very first person I meet at the Hotel at TDIFest this year, and we had some great conversations (including washing our cars for the Fest). I'm grateful I at least go to meet him. We won't forget you Matt.

Fred

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
Sonofagun

Always enjoyed his wit & sarcasm here on the board, had the pleasure of meeting him @ Fest '02. Was hoping to see him again at Fest 03...
Switca of Arabia, that's funny
quite fitting too.

Condolences from Canada to family & close friends. A damn nice guy.

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
Switca was the first guy I met at the '02 Fest. He was in a hurry helping get things setup and had to clean and wax a scratch on his Jetta, but he made the time to say hi and welcome me there. His passing saddens me as his wit was always welcome and I had hoped to meet him again one day

Tonight I will toast in his honor... To Switca, our friend, You will be missed

ittrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver
Originally posted by BAMA TDI:
Switca will be missed around here.
He gave me advice on more than one occassion.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I arrived at TDI fest 2000 with my partner and we met Tazz and Garret and a few other people in the parking lot. One of them was Switca. He and another gentleman and myself and JP went for breakfast. Your comment on advice struck a chord with me... he told me I shouln't be eating so much fatty bacon... and that is how I learned of his health problems. He was so at ease with the hand God dealt him, he was truly inspirational. After an hour of chatting it was like we were old friends. I am sorry that I will never get to meet him again in this lifetime... sorrier still for what his family must be going through.

You'll be missed.

Jamie

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
News of Matt's passing struck me hard upon first reading about it in the forums. I had the pleasure to meet him at TDIFest 2002, and through our always friendly correspondences on the forums and privately by e-mail, although we had never met before until that time, we were like old acquaintances who had only forgotten what each other looked like after the years.

I am deeply saddened by his passing. My prayers and condolences to his family and loved ones mourning the loss of a really great guy.

Rest in peace.

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
just now learned of Switcas's passing. His spirit was lively here - he is sorely missed.

Godspeed. No CEL's in the the beyond!!

S

SkyPup

I met Matt at the First TDI Fest and we had a good time there for sure.

When we both left the recent 2002 TDI Fest together from the drag strip racing events, we had a very spirited high speed romp back to hotel in Grand Rapids playing TDI tag.

I won't forget the fun Matt nor the soot we spewed together.

God Bless Your Soul.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
How sad. I met Switca at GTGs. A genuinely nice guy. Condolences to his family and friends.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
I was very sorry to read about this. I never met Switca, but he was always one of the first to help out on the Forum. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

jpltdi

Veteran Member
I met Switca at the White Marsh GTG and saw him again at TDI Fest 2002. He was a remarkable person and will be greatly missed.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
For posterity, his last business card...