TDI Sportswagen questions

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Just sold my beloved B5.5 TDI today. I will be seriously looking into a 6sp. Jetta sportswagon TDI. I have owned many VW's but no Audi's. I have always wondered about the way Audi's models are designated. A3, A4, for example, I'm understanding are the same body? different generation?

Does Audi have a TDI sportswagon?
In manual transmission?
What is it designated as? A3?

Also in my search it seems some Jetta (Audi?) TDI's have NOT had the "VW smog fix"...
I wonder if this "fix" actually helped or hurt the drivability or M.P.G. of these cars. Owner feedback would be greatly appreciated

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Just sold my beloved B5.5 TDI today. I will be seriously looking into a 6sp. Jetta sportswagon TDI. I have owned many VW's but no Audi's. I have always wondered about the way Audi's models are designated. A3, A4, for example, I'm understanding are the same body? different generation?

Does Audi have a TDI sportswagon?
In manual transmission?
What is it designated as? A3?

Also in my search it seems some Jetta (Audi?) TDI's have NOT had the "VW smog fix"... I wonder if this "fix" actually helped or hurt the drivability or M.P.G. of these cars. Owner feedback would be greatly appreciated
Audi never had a TDI Sportwagen, but they had a A3 Hatchback with a VW/Audi TDI engine, same engine in all VW TDI's from 2009.5 to 2014. The A3 TDI is a nice car. The A3 is a smaller car, lower roof, with much smaller volume in the back (more comparable to a Golf not a JSW), but in any trim the Audi is more deluxe. It cost at least $3,000 more than a VW in lower trim. The Audi had A3 upgrades that made it over $30K. I recall real leather the Audi had... and upgraded features like side mirrors that tilted down when car was in reverse (to see the curb I assume). However the stock VW JSW TDI was no slouch and was well appointed (with fake but nice leather).

I believe the Audi A3 had both manual and DSG transmission option but I could be wrong. It might have been DSG only(?). Don't disregard buying DSG for a manual only. The manual is lighter and has slightly higher final gear, which gives it a slight MPG advantage. However the DSG however is just amazing. The DSG gets a oil filter change every 40K. I just did mine. The manual has a clutch change at some point and there is the dampened flywheel springs (an issue that happens). The DSG clutch I think is going to go a long time. The DSG oil and filter is about $120. The dealer will charge $350-$400 for the service. You can do it yourself for the cost of oil and filter. I did it. I am slow but do good work. It took me better part of a day. If I did it again I could shave off a few hours. I did "TOP FILL" which takes longer but saves you from having to get, make or buy the bottom fill fitting and hose.

Fuel Econ is reported to have gone down slightly with "The Fix" for me, but I really have not checked. it is small loss. I am about to take a 1600 mile all highway RT road trip. Last time I did this trip I got +50 MPG driving conservatively in both directions. We shall see what I get this time. However I'm over hyper-mile'g. I am going to put the peddle to metal with AC blasting. I'm sure I will get Mid to low 40's at least driving like a bat out of hell (albeit all highway). When I got +50 mpg on a 700 mile leg (did it in one tank) I followed 55-65 speed limit and refrained from using AC. Again I have a JSW with DSG.

As far as power/torque it is still there and fun to drive. I am not recommending this or promoting modification of car emission systems. I'm leaving my stock, especially since modification will void my warranty. Also Mods' cost $$$ and rarely do you recoup that cost. However there are ECU tunes and/or exhaust modifications that improve power and efficiency (higher MPG). Again the best CR TDI for mileage is a two door Golf manual trans. However the JSW is great for car camping... I can sleep in it with seats folded down (about 5'8" flat floor from rear hatch to back of front seats).

I love the fact I have the FIX warranty on my 8 year old car with 102,000 miles. The FIX warranty takes me out to 12 years and 140,000 miles! Of course the $5,000 VW gave me was not bad either.

If you want a Audi A3 TDI they are more rare. Far more VW TDI's Golf's/JSW were sold. Consider a Golf or JSW TDI. It is more than MPG. They look good, handle nice and have nice amenities. However if you want reliable and cheaper (lower cost of ownership) a late model used Hyundai or Japaneses compact would be better. I like the torque of my TDI (like a big V6) while still getting great mileage. However EV's, Plugin EV's and Hybrids are pretty much better MPG or cost of energy per mile. I bought a used Nissan Leaf late last year. I drive it all the time.

2010-2014 Jetta Sportwagen with the FIX is a good deal, go for it. I believe the 4 year, 40K mile warranty that came with the FIX should be transferable (but please verify and check). All Gen 1's with a fix were done in the last 8 months or so, as the fix just came out end of 2017. I also think because passenger diesel cars are just not offered anymore the TDI's will hold their value. Look at the old VW diesels.... they hold their value.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Audi never had a TDI Sportwagen, but they had a A3 Hatchback with a VW/Audi TDI engine, same engine in all VW TDI's from 2009.5 to 2014. The A3 TDI is a nice car. The A3 is a smaller car, lower roof, with much smaller volume in the back (more comparable to a Golf not a JSW), but in any trim the Audi is more deluxe. It cost at least $3,000 more than a VW in lower trim. The Audi had A3 upgrades that made it over $30K. I recall real leather the Audi had... and upgraded features like side mirrors that tilted down when car was in reverse (to see the curb I assume). However the stock VW JSW TDI was no slouch and was well appointed (with fake but nice leather).

I believe the Audi A3 had both manual and DSG transmission option but I could be wrong. It might have been DSG only(?). Don't disregard buying DSG for a manual only. The manual is lighter and has slightly higher final gear, which gives it a slight MPG advantage. However the DSG however is just amazing. The DSG gets a oil filter change every 40K. I just did mine. The manual has a clutch change at some point and there is the dampened flywheel springs (an issue that happens). The DSG clutch I think is going to go a long time. The DSG oil and filter is about $120. The dealer will charge $350-$400 for the service. You can do it yourself for the cost of oil and filter. I did it. I am slow but do good work. It took me better part of a day. If I did it again I could shave off a few hours. I did "TOP FILL" which takes longer but saves you from having to get, make or buy the bottom fill fitting and hose.

Fuel Econ is reported to have gone down slightly with "The Fix" for me, but I really have not checked. it is small loss. I am about to take a 1600 mile all highway RT road trip. Last time I did this trip I got +50 MPG driving conservatively in both directions. We shall see what I get this time. However I'm over hyper-mile'g. I am going to put the peddle to metal with AC blasting. I'm sure I will get Mid to low 40's at least driving like a bat out of hell (albeit all highway). When I got +50 mpg on a 700 mile leg (did it in one tank) I followed 55-65 speed limit and refrained from using AC. Again I have a JSW with DSG.

As far as power/torque it is still there and fun to drive. I am not recommending this or promoting modification of car emission systems. I'm leaving my stock, especially since modification will void my warranty. Also Mods' cost $$$ and rarely do you recoup that cost. However there are ECU tunes and/or exhaust modifications that improve power and efficiency (higher MPG). Again the best CR TDI for mileage is a two door Golf manual trans. However the JSW is great for car camping... I can sleep in it with seats folded down (about 5'8" flat floor from rear hatch to back of front seats).

I love the fact I have the FIX warranty on my 8 year old car with 102,000 miles. The FIX warranty takes me out to 12 years and 140,000 miles! Of course the $5,000 VW gave me was not bad either.

If you want a Audi A3 TDI they are more rare. Far more VW TDI's Golf's/JSW were sold. Consider a Golf or JSW TDI. It is more than MPG. They look good, handle nice and have nice amenities. However if you want reliable and cheaper (lower cost of ownership) a late model used Hyundai or Japaneses compact would be better. I like the torque of my TDI (like a big V6) while still getting great mileage. However EV's, Plugin EV's and Hybrids are pretty much better MPG or cost of energy per mile. I bought a used Nissan Leaf late last year. I drive it all the time.

2010-2014 Jetta Sportwagen with the FIX is a good deal, go for it. I believe the 4 year, 40K mile warranty that came with the FIX should be transferable (but please verify and check). All Gen 1's with a fix were done in the last 8 months or so, as the fix just came out end of 2017. I also think because passenger diesel cars are just not offered anymore the TDI's will hold their value. Look at the old VW diesels.... they hold their value.
Thanks for the detailed response.

I looked into the A3's but really want a manual that isnt avalible on the A3 TDI.

Looking for an 11 thru 14 JSW manual

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I bought a '11 6spd TDI with 67K and it had the fix completed. I bought it from a VW dealer in Denver and it came with the 40K 4 year warranty. If you buy it through a private sale, the warranty transfer might be complicated and I would suggest looking further into the issue.

Ive loved the car. Its been getting between 40-45mpg (calculated miles driven, dived by amount of gallons during fuel up). If you have driven front wheel drive 4 cyl manual wagons before, you know what youre getting into and you will not be disappointed. Its not a sports car, but its so much more than a people/cargo hauler.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I have a 2014 TDI, 6 sp manual sportswagen that I purchased new. I have about 97,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems. When VW did their "fix" it lowered my fuel mileage about 2 MPG. I have a Malone 2.0 tune on the car and I love it. I tow my ATV or motorcycles up over the Sierra mountains and stay right up with my friends who tow with 3/4 ton TDI pick ups. When not towing up in the foothills I get around 40 MPG. Last month my friends and I rode our motorcycle up to Idaho, and my wife followed us towing my aluminum bike trailer. We rode aggressively (70 - 75MPH) on mostly two lane roads and my wife stayed right up with us, even towing the trailer. As an added benefit, my wife loved driving the VW. She's driven it before, but never that aggressively on two lane twisty roads and absolutely fell in love with it. And she agrees with me that my little VW is more comfortable and fun to dive than her 2017 Jaguar XE.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2014 TDI, 6 sp manual sportswagen that I purchased new. I have about 97,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems. When VW did their "fix" it lowered my fuel mileage about 2 MPG. I have a Malone 2.0 tune on the car and I love it. I tow my ATV or motorcycles up over the Sierra mountains and stay right up with my friends who tow with 3/4 ton TDI pick ups. When not towing up in the foothills I get around 40 MPG. Last month my friends and I rode our motorcycle up to Idaho, and my wife followed us towing my aluminum bike trailer. We rode aggressively (70 - 75MPH) on mostly two lane roads and my wife stayed right up with us, even towing the trailer. As an added benefit, my wife loved driving the VW. She's driven it before, but never that aggressively on two lane twisty roads and absolutely fell in love with it. And she agrees with me that my little VW is more comfortable and fun to dive than her 2017 Jaguar XE.
I am really convinced to find a low mile CPO 6SP while I can. How did the tune effect the car overall? Was it after the fix?

BTW I resently sold my home in Copper and am up there occasionally, might see you around

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I am really convinced to find a low mile CPO 6SP while I can. How did the tune effect the car overall? Was it after the fix?
BTW I resently sold my home in Copper and am up there occasionally, might see you around
I bought the same. Lowish mileage CPO. Love the car. Note that for the years you're looking at, with the fix you get a 54 month, 48k mile warranty from the fix or a 10.5 year/120k mile warranty from the car's in service date

I am seeing lower mileage than the poster above. More like 38 MPG combined. But I have a fair amount of short trips. Mine MFD seems to be optimistic by about 2mpg and I get 45 MPG on the MFD when taking longer highway trips.

The only thing that I don't like is the regens. They seem to be very frequent. I wonder if a tune, without a delete reduces regens.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Jellow, I had the Malone 2.0 tune before the fix, then contacted Mark Malone and he generously sent me the tune to re-install at no cost after the fix. I was able to do so because I have a Flashzilla, which allows me to download the dealer tune and install the Malone tune. With the Flashzilla I will be able to load my Malone tune onto the Flashzilla and re-install the dealer tune if I ever need to take the car in to VW for service (which I doubt).
The Sportswagen TDI comes stock with 140 HP at the wheel (not at the crank) and 235 lb ft tq. I don't know what it's supposed to have after the fix, but my guess, and my butt dyno put it at less than that. With the Malone 2.0 tune, both before and after the VW "fix", I have 170 Hp at the wheels and 298 lb ft tq. These are true dyno numbers from a Dynojet dyno at a speed shop that I took it to.
As Kitewagon said, it does seem to do a regen more often and they seem to last longer, but it's not a big deal. They do burn a little more fuel, but I still get excellent mileage and the car is a hoot to drive (especially with the 6 sp standard).
And if you plan on being up this way shoot me an email and I'll give you a demostration of just how much fun my little JSW is. Also, what 1.6 L pick up do you have?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
back in the VW's

Jellow, I had the Malone 2.0 tune before the fix, then contacted Mark Malone and he generously sent me the tune to re-install at no cost after the fix. I was able to do so because I have a Flashzilla, which allows me to download the dealer tune and install the Malone tune. With the Flashzilla I will be able to load my Malone tune onto the Flashzilla and re-install the dealer tune if I ever need to take the car in to VW for service (which I doubt).
The Sportswagen TDI comes stock with 140 HP at the wheel (not at the crank) and 235 lb ft tq. I don't know what it's supposed to have after the fix, but my guess, and my butt dyno put it at less than that. With the Malone 2.0 tune, both before and after the VW "fix", I have 170 Hp at the wheels and 298 lb ft tq. These are true dyno numbers from a Dynojet dyno at a speed shop that I took it to.
As Kitewagon said, it does seem to do a regen more often and they seem to last longer, but it's not a big deal. They do burn a little more fuel, but I still get excellent mileage and the car is a hoot to drive (especially with the 6 sp standard).
And if you plan on being up this way shoot me an email and I'll give you a demostration of just how much fun my little JSW is. Also, what 1.6 L pick up do you have?
Hi, I'm not sure if you got my recent P.M. but I may be able take a run your way soon. Just picked up a 2011 CPO 6M w/ 69k. I would like to learn more about the tunes available. It is a priority to be able to readily go back to "the fix".

I have an 83 diesel p/u. For awhile there I was rather nutty about them, owning 1 80, 1 81 diesels also. I also came a cross a batch of 3. 1 diesel, 2 sports trucks (ebayed them not knowing about sportstruck until sold).

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike, I just found your PM after seeing here that you had sent one. I seldom visit this site any more, so if you'd like to chat shoot me an email at skromfols@hotmail.com and I'd be happy to share any info I have with you. And if you come up this way, give me a shout and maybe we can get together and exchange information.

Stan
skromfols@hotmail.com

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike, I just found your PM after seeing here that you had sent one. I seldom visit this site any more, so if you'd like to chat shoot me an email at skromfols@hotmail.com and I'd be happy to share any info I have with you. And if you come up this way, give me a shout and maybe we can get together and exchange information.

Stan
skromfols@hotmail.com
Great, will do when we get some time. BTW do you know Greg Bloom? (chiropractor in Valley Springs)

Mike