Show what you tow!

Tintman718

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf (5-spd), '10 Golf (6-spd), '12 Touareg
I towed the donor car for my 5-spd swap. It was an 8hr drive from New Hampshire. Also,I built my hidden hitch and dolly from scratch.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I love the colour of your Golf !
I think under a sodium vapor street light, a red Golf can look gray.

So what is the real color?

(I like the grill. I have one that is sort of like that.)

Tintman718

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf (5-spd), '10 Golf (6-spd), '12 Touareg
Thanks for the comments. The color is called Nimbus Grey and it's from an Audi TT. I resprayed the entire car last summer. Here's how the hitch looks on the car.

This is my hidden hitch. I removed the shock absorber and have square tubing there instead which bolts to the chassis from under the car.

Here are some shots of my dolly just to give you an idea.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Or an old Blazer/Bronco/Scout II lic plate bracket. I believe several years on all three had hinged brackets. I know my '79 Scout II had a hinge so when you folded the tail gate down for a large load, you could fold the plate down so it was visible.

Jason

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Love the nimbus gray. I saw it and knew it was on the TT's and you had me wondering if you could get it on a Golf for a second. lol

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Seems something like that would be damn handy to have! I'de get one myself if I wasn't dead-set on a small teardrop. I'd also LOVE to have the cash to drop on a Westfalia hitch, but most likely I'll be removing my muffler and installing a curt hitch for the GTI.
I was dead set on a small tear drop too.. but then I got my 75 Bus instead :cool: But the bus is slow and I need to be able to pull over anywhere and rest w/out unloading the back; I also have a dirt bike and a young son who will get his own dirt bike soon.. need a good way to get em up into the mountains; pop the top off this and I could fit 3 pretty comfortably.

Supposedly there working on a tent attachment for it; that would be very cool.
I finally picked mine up yesterday; was nearly a month wait but worth it.. I opted for extending the tongue a foot and loaded it with every option.

First trip with it will be on Monday ~600 miles away; going back home for independence day week.

Last edited:

kuleinc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDi, 1998 New Beetle TDi, 1.8T powered 87 Westy Vanagon
I'm thinking of towing something similar with my 98 tdi new beetle... Any input?

bigred177

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
Anyone know of any toy hauler travel trailers that would be light enough to tow with an A3 Jetta? Seems like the lightest one I can find is 2500# empty. I would tow it just as a TT with the Jetta but then if I needed a toy to haul I would use my truck. I'd love to do some serious traveling with the TDI and my portable hotel behind me.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Anyone know of any toy hauler travel trailers that would be light enough to tow with an A3 Jetta? Seems like the lightest one I can find is 2500# empty. I would tow it just as a TT with the Jetta but then if I needed a toy to haul I would use my truck. I'd love to do some serious traveling with the TDI and my portable hotel behind me.
What about this: http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/6-wide-sport/

And here is the closest dealer to Austin: http://www.youcampwerent.com/

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That thing with a toy hauler platform is all tongue weight. The axle is all the way to the rear. Stick a 400 lb atv on there and asking for trouble.

bigred177

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
Yea, I was sort of thinking the saame thing for my 600lb motorcycle. But on my truck it wouldn't be SO bad. Thanks for the link. Do you maybe know of one with one of those wet baths?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've looked around at travel trailers and popups. You're not going to find much at less than 2500#, especially if you want a bathroom with water tanks.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
That thing with a toy hauler platform is all tongue weight. The axle is all the way to the rear. Stick a 400 lb atv on there and asking for trouble.
But remember he said that he'd only use it as a travel trailer with the Jetta; when used as a toy hauler, he would use his truck, though it would still be mostly tongue weight as you say.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
But remember he said that he'd only use it as a travel trailer with the Jetta; when used as a toy hauler, he would use his truck, though it would still be mostly tongue weight as you say.
I missed that due to the overly large pics posted and forgot to scroll. But even with doing it that way you still probably need a Class IV hitch on the truck.

bigred177

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Jetta
I've been looking at those too. All of the fiberglass ones looks real nice but they're so expensive new. Around here the used ones get bought up within an hour of being listed.