When/where is the iat sensor used in the alh?

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I'm wondering if the iat sensor is used in a maf based tune on a alh at all? The only reference to it I can find in the ecu file is a linearization map. Would anything happen if it only saw ambient temperature? I have a gm 3 bar map sensor I'd like to use and I'd prefer to not have to buy a map/iat sensor bung to put the vw sensor in my charge pipe to use as a iat sensor. I was thinking of just tucking the sensor away in some corner of the engine bay.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
If you're using edcsuite, you're only seeing 20% or less of the whole picture.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The IAT sensor is integral to the MAP sensor. The electrical output of a pressure sensing element is temperature dependent so basically all pressure sensors have a temperature sensor built into them to compensate for temperature so they're reasonably accurate. The VW MAP sensor take advantage of this and uses the 4th pin to give temperature feedback.

My guess is that in an OEM tune it's for sure used.
In an aftermarket tune, maybe, maybe not - depends on the tuner

It's main purpose should be to trim fuel delivery so you have a consistent amount of smoke regardless of ambient temperature. if you're not too concerned about this, then you can just leave it in the corner like you describe. It will do some gross compensation, but if there's a lot more tuning that you're doing, then it's unlikely that you'll achieve the level of refinement where this will make/break anything - especially if you're using a MAF based tune.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
On mine, the IAT is in the LP turbo outlet.
No idea what it does either, haha. Pretty soon it'll just be dangling from a wire reading atmospheric temp. Maybe the MAP sensor too, as it doesn't really do anything in my tune but read atmospheric pressure on startup, being that I've got no vanes or boost limits any more and use the MAF for fueling