Help me understand 2.0L Gen 1, 2, and 3

linewarbr

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE DSG (bought back Feb 2017)
Considering getting back into a TDI, so I'm trying to get a solid understanding of the facts/ risks associated with the different models available to me. So, trying to make sure I have this right, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Gen 1 is in the Jetta, Golf, JSW, and Beetle from 2009-2014. Satisfaction with the emissions fix has been hit-or-miss for some owners with these cars as well as concerns about HPFP failures, correct? No urea injection in the exhaust system.

Gen 2 is in the 2013 and 2014 Passat, like I used to own. Urea-injection in the exhaust, which owners have noticed increased consumption of post-fix but overall satisfaction with the result of the fix.

Gen 3 is all VW/ Audi 2.0L TDI models for MY 2015, and from a technological standpoint was/ is a better engine and driveability is barely affected by the fix.

If I'm correct on those assertions, then finding a fixed or unfixed 2015 used or CPO would be the best-case scenario, since I'm leaning towards a wagon with a 6MT. (Golf Sportwagon TDI) After that would be used or CPO 2013-2014 Passat 6MT, followed by a Gen 1 vehicle.

Feel free to correct, offer opinions, etc. After selling the Passat back to VW and making out like a bandit, I disconnected from Dieselgate and am behind the learning curve on all this.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Gen 2 (passat) with manual are unfixable. Buyback only - or keep driving, do nothing, and get nothing. I am thinking these will be rare as hen's teeth.

linewarbr

TDI
Last edited:

linewarbr

TDI
Also, if I buy a TDI that has NOT had the emissions modification done, would I be able to collect money from VW when I bring it in for the fix, even if my purchase date is, say, August 25 2018?

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Also, if I buy a TDI that has NOT had the emissions modification done, would I be able to collect money from VW when I bring it in for the fix, even if my purchase date is, say, August 25 2018?
It depends on whether anyone already claimed the settlement money for that vehicle. You can run the VIN here: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/2-0-models/
[2.0L Vehicle Lookup section]

That site is not 100% reliable, since it may not reflect very recent changes, but it's a good general indicator. If the site says it's eligible, then check under the hood to see if it has the fix sticker. If it doesn't, you should be good to claim the settlement money for yourself. Good luck finding one of those though - others have been scooping up unfixed TDIs and either selling back or getting the fix for a while now, so it's pretty hard to find any that aren't already claimed. Unless your grandmother has one sitting in her garage, you're probably not going to get one.

linewarbr

TDI
It depends on whether anyone already claimed the settlement money for that vehicle. You can run the VIN here: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/2-0-models/
[2.0L Vehicle Lookup section]
That site is not 100% reliable, since it may not reflect very recent changes, but it's a good general indicator. If the site says it's eligible, then check under the hood to see if it has the fix sticker. If it doesn't, you should be good to claim the settlement money for yourself. Good luck finding one of those though - others have been scooping up unfixed TDIs and either selling back or getting the fix for a while now, so it's pretty hard to find any that aren't already claimed. Unless your grandmother has one sitting in her garage, you're probably not going to get one.
What's the amount from VW for doing the fix? My hazy memory says it's in the neighborhood of $5k?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I thought there was a cutoff date for ownership. Thought it was written as if you bought the car after x date, you are not eligible for any money.

OP: you missed one step. The 2009 TDIs have a different exhaust set up requiring more hardware corrections with the fix. If I were looking to buy any of the effected cars, I would stay with the 2015s.

As for the fix amount, the minimum amount was $5200 plus the $375 for the 2l diesels from Bosch.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Time is also running out on the settlement. Sept 1, 2018 IIRC. After that they are done paying anything IIRC. So you are pretty late for the game if that is what you wanted.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I thought there was a cutoff date for ownership. Thought it was written as if you bought the car after x date, you are not eligible for any money.

OP: you missed one step. The 2009 TDIs have a different exhaust set up requiring more hardware corrections with the fix. If I were looking to buy any of the effected cars, I would stay with the 2015s.

As for the fix amount, the minimum amount was $5200 plus the $375 for the 2l diesels from Bosch.
There is no cut off date for ownership. The relevant wording is in the Final Approval Order:

Page 5/48, Line 3

The Settlement Class is defined as all persons (including individuals and entities) who, on September 18, 2015, were registered owners or lessees of, or, in the case of Non-Volkswagen Dealers, held title to or held by bill of sale dated on or before September 18, 2015, a Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle in the United States or its territories (an “Eligible Vehicle”), or who, between September 18, 2015, and the end of the Claim Period, become a registered owner of, or, in the case of NonVolkswagen Dealers, hold title to or hold by bill of sale dated after September 18, 2015, but before the end of the Claims Period, an
Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories.
Page 5/48, Line 19

An Eligible Owner is the registered owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle on June 28, 2016, or the registered owner or owners who acquire an Eligible Vehicle after June 28, 2016, but before the end of the Claim Period, except that the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc. as of September 18, 2015, and purchased an Eligible Vehicle previously leased by that owner after June 28, 2016 shall be an Eligible Lessee. A Non-Volkswagen Dealer who, on or after June 28, 2016, holds title to or holds by bill of sale an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories shall qualify as an Eligible Owner regardless of whether that Non-Volkswagen Dealer is registered as the owner of the Eligible Vehicle, provided that the Non-Volkswagen Dealer otherwise meets the definition of Eligible Owner.
This has been widely discussed, but is worth repeating, the Claim Period runs through December 30, 2018, but the deadline to submit a valid claim is September 1, 2018 (Approved Class Action Settlement Agreement):

Page 5/52, Line 15

“Claim Period” means the time period during which Class Members may submit a Claim for review to the Claims Supervisor and obtain benefits under the Class Action Settlement Program. The Claim Period shall run from entry of the Preliminary Approval Order until December 30, 2018. Class Members must submit a complete and valid Claim by no later than September 1, 2018, and, if eligible, shall have until December 30, 2018, to obtain their chosen remedy.
From Approved Exhibit 1 -Benefits:

"For an Eligible Owner who acquired the Eligible Vehicle on or before September 18, 2015, Owner Restitution shall be comprised of (1) a variable component equaling 20% of the Vehicle Value; and (2) a fixed component of the greater of (a) $2,986.73 or (b) the amount necessary to ensure that Owner Restitution is no less than $5,100."

"An Eligible Owner of an Eligible Vehicle in the VW 2.0-liter Settlement will receive $350 in the Bosch Settlement, except that if an Eligible Seller has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle, or if an Eligible Lessee has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle, the Eligible Owner will receive $175."