Chipwerke Piggyback Tuner: 3.0 Dieselgate Solution?

delmd92

TDI
2014 A6, 2014 Q5
Not to rain on anyone's parade but my '14 A6 is not happy with the box. I hope you have better luck and can educate me on what to do with it. It definitely increases the diesel noise but I don't really feel much difference in power and mileage never changed. Tried multiple settings. Keeps throwing CEL's for the DPF and NOx. Maybe after the recall of the recall it will work better.
The wife has a Q5 with the box and it loves it. Mileage up 2-3 mpg and no accelerator lag. She wanted it left at factory setting. No change in noise and no codes. Maybe its just my car. I will keep watching this thread. Thanks.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Not to rain on anyone's parade but my '14 A6 is not happy with the box. I hope you have better luck and can educate me on what to do with it. It definitely increases the diesel noise but I don't really feel much difference in power and mileage never changed. Tried multiple settings. Keeps throwing CEL's for the DPF and NOx. Maybe after the recall of the recall it will work better.
The wife has a Q5 with the box and it loves it. Mileage up 2-3 mpg and no accelerator lag. She wanted it left at factory setting. No change in noise and no codes. Maybe its just my car. I will keep watching this thread. Thanks.
It’s not the first time I’ve heard that from a fellow A6 owner but I still want to try to use it. 30-day money back so I’m not to worried about it overall.

Going to try the setting C-1 to start then dial back to B-1 If I have to.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Got my CW today! Packaging, install time, instructions on how to install were all fantastic. I have a single cord directly into the boost sensor.

It came to me with a D-1 setting which I immediately changed to C-1. I will try this out today and if need be, change down to factory of B-1. The car turned on right away and idled for 5 minutes with no issues or differences. I will be able to drive the car a little later today so I will keep you all posted. I know the break-in is probably like most tunes, 20-30 miles and you are all set. Wish me luck!

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
First review of Chipwerke #CW00173: 16' A6 TDI 54K miles

The Good:

-Super easy install. 5 minutes means you cracked a beer while installing
-Easy to open box and change settings
-You can tell an immediate difference under the hood
-Boost and revs much easier
-Only drove it 15 miles tonight which I do not consider to be fully adapted so it will learn more tomorrow. I did not stretch the car's legs yet but will definitely do that on tomorrow mornings drive

The Bad:

-I had a couple of hesistation hiccups in the early miles(sub 3 miles). Other members on this forum and Audizine mentioned the same phenomenon so waiting to see if it continues
-Diesel clatter is noticeable at 1800 RPM's but does not bother me at all
-I am hoping this is just the ECU learning a new ECU, so we will see

Overall:

Still super happy with the product. If it doesn't work...oh well. Excited to drive more tomorrow to see how it adapts to my A6!

Last edited:

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Second review: Morning After Install

The hesitation happens right at the 1600-1800 RPM range when you are just light throttling the car. It's very easy to not make it happen if you avoid that load range or when you are just driving. I was disappointed on the highway a moment ago coming into my office. I stepped on the pedal and I expected to be taken back and it felt like nothing different than when without the CW unit.

I am over the 20-mile adjustment range and I will test it out a lot more throughout the day when making some deliveries.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Three suggestions: 1 do a throttle adaptation reset. (Described above in this thread). 2 use manual mode for a while (easier if you have paddle shifters) to help train the ECU. 3 do several hard acceleration cycles in succession, running up the rpms into the 3000s to put the ECU through its new paces.

Is the hesitation as though the car wants to shift to the next gear too late or too soon? Or like the flow of fuel is momentarily disconnected from your acceleration?

The fact that it is not throwing codes is positive. My experience tells me your ECU will get this all sorted out soon.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I looked around but could not find the adaptation instructions. If you have those handy, could you repost the link please?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
It has been good. I did a throttle reset right after the fix, which consists of turning on the car but not the engine, mashing the pedal down for 15 seconds, then releasing and turning off the car.

Here you go, throttle adaptation reset instructions.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Here you go, throttle adaptation reset instructions.
Hyperlink didn’t work.

Driving back from some work and the car is already adapting. I’ve been following your advice and so far so good. I’ll give a full account later tonight.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Throttle adaptation reset procedure:

-Start car without engine (don’t hold down brake when starting).
-Next, mash the accelerator to the flow for 15 or more seconds.
-Then release the pedal and switch car off.

P.S. glad your vehicle seems to be doing better.

Last edited:

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
That throttle adaptation.... I’m not sure if it’s placebo or black magic, but wow! That truly made a difference.

I drove almost 200 miles with the CW chip now and it has adapted well to my car. The in-car data on gas mileage is impressive with a nice uptick(have to manually log still to get true numbers) and I haven’t been feeling the hesitation I mentioned from last night or this morning. The car seriously rips in low gears and doesn’t die when moving above 75mph so that’s wonderful. Clatter is still there but that is to be assumed.

I am going to keep updating this thread over the next couple of weeks/tanks of diesel so you can make your own call with this unit.

Couple things to mention about my car:

New fuel filter
Fresh oil and filter
Swiss cheesed airbox and new filter
No stock mufflers
Heat wrapped my downpipe inside engine bay

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Fantastic. Keep us posted. After driving on this setting a while go up or down a notch depending on your preferences, and see if you like it better. I am very efficiency minded but others value the giddy up more.

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
Really happy to hear the positive feedback. Making me want to buy a chip myself and give it a shot. How is initial throttle lag from a stop? That lag has been my biggest pet peeve about the car.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
I don’t have lag with mine. I don’t, or very rarely, stab the pedal though. I’ve read folks citing lag but never really asked them what they and the car were doing. I think feeding a little fuel in and then pushing hard when you need to accelerate quickly is just second nature to me.

Last edited:

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Morning everyone,

Off the line moving has improved dramatically. The car doesn’t bog down or not want to move so that’s super nice. The throttle adaptation paired super well with the chip, enough for a noticeable and impressive difference.

I plan to keep it on the C-1 setting as the car just feels better overall. I would move it down to B-1 to get a bit more economy but it’s great where it’s at currently.

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
Morning everyone,

Off the line moving has improved dramatically. The car doesn’t bog down or not want to move so that’s super nice. The throttle adaptation paired super well with the chip, enough for a noticeable and impressive difference.

I plan to keep it on the C-1 setting as the car just feels better overall. I would move it down to B-1 to get a bit more economy but it’s great where it’s at currently.
This is the most important part for me. More of a safety thing than anything else as I’d like the power to be there when I need it.

Any discount codes at this time for the chip? Maybe a Labor Day sale coming up?

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
This is the most important part for me. More of a safety thing than anything else as I’d like the power to be there when I need it.
Any discount codes at this time for the chip? Maybe a Labor Day sale coming up?
There may a sale coming up but $450 shipped is pretty straight forward so I didn’t bother waiting lol.

My S3 I just sold had more torque than my TDI but this car is made for a solid pull with mpg’s that follow.

jaxkxx

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5 TDI
Midwesthick. Is that chip installed on your A6 or Q5.? Thanx for the nice reports

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
Just ordered a chipwerke CW00221 for my 2015 Q5 TDI. Found that if you use code chipwerke10 you get 10% off.

Will report back once it comes and and gets hooked up!

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Midwesthick. Is that chip installed on your A6 or Q5.? Thanx for the nice reports
The chip is for my 2016 A6 TDI.

I have read several folks not having a good experience with CW on their A6 but my situation has been very different.

jaxkxx

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5 TDI
I just ordered one two. No risk if I don’t like it I’ve got 30 days to return it. But hopefully I’ll be happy with it.

jaxkxx

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5 TDI
Short update. Just installed mine and took it for 15 miles drive. For the first 5 miles car did hesitate occasionally but after that went back to normal. Honestly and don't feel much of the difference between stock car and with the chipwerke. Maybe is just me.In my opinion engine sounds little bit louder when idle. I will drive the car more in the next few days and keep you guys posted. And my setting is on F1.

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
Just received mine and clipped it in. Instructions are a bit strange - they indicate connecting the chip to both the common rail and boost sensor. Im only seeing one way to connect the thing and that’s to the rail. Am I missing something here?

2015 Q5 TDI 3.0 engine.

jaxkxx

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5 TDI
Just received mine and clipped it in. Instructions are a bit strange - they indicate connecting the chip to both the common rail and boost sensor. Im only seeing one way to connect the thing and that’s to the rail. Am I missing something here?

2015 Q5 TDI 3.0 engine.
There is only one harness and thats for a common rail. The one for boost sensor is for gas cars only. Keep me posted with your thoughts

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI

2015 Q5 TDI 3.0 engine.

Clip it to the rail. The one cable setup is what you want. They probably sent you the 3.0 gasser instructions. I strongly advise starting at C-1 for the Q5, doing the throttle adaptation reset, and a few cycles of manual shifting revving up into the 3000’s rpms as a quick break-in procedure.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
It looks a touch confusing but super straight forward. My cable has 3 plugs on it in total.

1 to be placed onto the common rail sensor
1 to connect to old sensor
1 to connect into the CW box itself

C-1 and throttle training and away you go. Keep me posted man!!

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
I still get hesitation between the 1600-1800 range when the car is not fully warmed up yet so I just shift before or use my foot to make sure it doesn’t chug right there. My chip still works so damn well on the car and I’m glad I can take it off for any warranty issues.

Do any of you have any other small mods on the car or 100% stock?