CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

packmule97

TDI
mk6 golf
Well guys add me on too, after getting some contaminated fuel somewhere I noticed a weird noise coming from the cp4. Parked the car after getting home and ordered a kit direct from united diesel. First time messing with timing on a car and man was it easy. Everything seems great so far but I'm gonna ask my tuner if he's got any adjustments he wants to make since I get free revisions.

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
Well guys add me on too, after getting some contaminated fuel somewhere I noticed a weird noise coming from the cp4. Parked the car after getting home and ordered a kit direct from united diesel. First time messing with timing on a car and man was it easy. Everything seems great so far but I'm gonna ask my tuner if he's got any adjustments he wants to make since I get free revisions.
Did you use any special tool? How much was it direct from United Diesel? Planning to get one from Whitbread who sells the United kit.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
Did you use any special tool? How much was it direct from United Diesel? Planning to get one from Whitbread who sells the United kit.
The hardest part of the whole process is bending the high pressure fuel line. A decent mandrel bender helps. And you DO need to remove the 4 screws and remove the EGR & anti- shudder valve so you can easily fit the new pump. It's a good idea to lock the crank & can buy not necessary.. either way I mark the timing belt with a white pen on the crank and cam to make sure nothing gets out of alignment. And you DO remove the auxiliary fuel pump (that's EZ)
TOTALLY worth the effort!

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
The hardest part of the whole process is bending the high pressure fuel line. A decent mandrel bender helps. And you DO need to remove the 4 screws and remove the EGR & anti- shudder valve so you can easily fit the new pump. It's a good idea to lock the crank & can buy not necessary.. either way I mark the timing belt with a white pen on the crank and cam to make sure nothing gets out of alignment. And you DO remove the auxiliary fuel pump (that's EZ)
TOTALLY worth the effort!
Thanks. Have to do it because the CP4 can't keep up with the Xman CR170. My car is deleted it only have the anti shudder valve. Yeah the aux pump get deleted one less thing in the way. Share with us how you feel the car and what stage is yours?

maato03

TDI
Audi a4 b8 2.0 tdi caga
Hello after cp4 failure i upgraded to cp3. I changed all sensors, cleaned everything and added 1micron filter behind stock, replaced injectors with refurbished. My problem is that i have interminnet p0087 at WOT and sometimes something like small misfire on idle. But sometimes Car idle good and also no limp mode on WOT. Tried new lift pump and rail ramp with regulator and sensor. Car is Audi a4 b8 2.0 TDi 105kw remapped before cp3 upgrade. Cp3 pump number is 0445010075 with metering valve 0928 400 487.
Edit: it seems like when fuel warm up then it starts doing it

Last edited:

packmule97

TDI
mk6 golf
The only special tools I used were the timing tools I purchased from dieselgeek, definitely weren't necessary but the pump became an excuse to have them for when I need my timing done or any of my buddies with tdi's.

packmule97

TDI
mk6 golf
Ok maybe you guys can give me some guidance, I've put about 500 miles (4 day weekend trip with the wife) I was easy on the car the whole time just for peace of mind. I get in the car to go to work yesterday and there a little road I like to take a hit on every now and again and I experienced what felt like breaking up at the top of second and 3rd. I checked the in tank pump with my multimeter and operation is fine (car does only have 80k), checked injectors via obd11 and also seems to be in working order. Any ideas what else I should check? I'm currently waiting to hear back from my tuner as on current situation as well but the more the merrier

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok maybe you guys can give me some guidance, I've put about 500 miles (4 day weekend trip with the wife) I was easy on the car the whole time just for peace of mind. I get in the car to go to work yesterday and there a little road I like to take a hit on every now and again and I experienced what felt like breaking up at the top of second and 3rd. I checked the in tank pump with my multimeter and operation is fine (car does only have 80k), checked injectors via obd11 and also seems to be in working order. Any ideas what else I should check? I'm currently waiting to hear back from my tuner as on current situation as well but the more the merrier
Do you have VCDS? If not look into the Bafx OBD2 Bluetooth device! It's cheap and will give you key metrics while driving. After the CP3 did you do a tune? (It's not necessary but desirable) usually a tune will want the metering valve number off the pump. Of course you removed the aux fuel pump? You are likely not running out of fuel if you have a CP3.

kirkovskiy

TDI
CFFB, BMR
Hi guys. I put myself on a Tiguan 2.0 TDI EA288 CP3, since my old pump gave out chips. But now I'm faced with the problem of a bad start, the fuel pressure is leaving me, although everything is sealed, I found that there is a difference between the pressure control valve in the Rail. Without tension, one pushes the needle holding the pressure in the ramp ~ 80 Bar, and the second pushes the needle without tension, thereby equalizing the pressure between the high and low highway. Who has any thoughts on this, since I've already broken my whole head.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I was thinking of getting a cp3 pump from one of the gmc Sierras and just fabricate the plate and such. thoughts?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Fabricating the parts for the right pump should be doable for a skilled machinist. Engineering and fabricating an adaptation for the "wrong" pump is another ball of wax. No point in reinventing the wheel, imo.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL its allright. We all have our blooper moments. Its all good :)

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I like that thinking. Good luck with your CP3 search and purchase.

myself I would go with whitbread performance as I was told he now deals with united performance thats based in UK. Been hearing good reviews about them across the internet.

TDI
B7 Passat 2012
That's wonderful!
Congrats and many happy miles ahead.
Andrew
Hey I know I'm late to this forum but I'm looking to put a cp3 on my 2.0 cr tdi and I heard you're the guy to speak to. The thing is my code is a ckra and I thought I had seen somewhere that someone said they don't fit the ckra due to the thermostat neck getting in the way. I also saw someone say that you found a way to make it work?? Care to enlighten me?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2micron is no longer in business.

best to contact matt whitbread via

BeDamp

TDI
2013 JSW
Hello, recently got my CP3 installed. Afterwards, it seems to hum between 1400-1800 rpm. Is this a common occurence with the swaps? No CELs, Malone ST2 CP3 tuning included.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm good question. As long as she drives smooth, no hiccups of any kind (hesitating and misfires or choppy acceleration and such) then you are good to go.

packmule97

TDI
mk6 golf
Do you have VCDS? If not look into the Bafx OBD2 Bluetooth device! It's cheap and will give you key metrics while driving. After the CP3 did you do a tune? (It's not necessary but desirable) usually a tune will want the metering valve number off the pump. Of course you removed the aux fuel pump? You are likely not running out of fuel if you have a CP3.
So finally got a vcds, car ran good enough to do the basics but looks like my rail pressure is a little low compared to what is requested, waiting on an updated file and I should he good to go.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello, recently got my CP3 installed. Afterwards, it seems to hum between 1400-1800 rpm. Is this a common occurence with the swaps? No CELs, Malone ST2 CP3 tuning included.
I have 3 of them and YES two of mine have a hum at low RPM and one buzzes (solenoid) when turned off. All of them with tens of thousands of miles on the pumps with no issues. But I agree that any change in sound is always good to investigate.