Wastegate on exhaust TDI with DPF

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
External Wastegate on exhaust TDI with DPF

Hello,
I'm thinking about install a wastegate on the exhaust manifold. I have the egr pipe avaliable on the manifold.
I'm going to remove downpipe and mount DPF due to MOT every year (the car has 10 years), so I have to detune so much due to dpf.
and a waste gate in the exhaust seems to me a good option to avoid excesive exhaust gas pressure.
Anybody has mounted one like this?
My car is a 3.0 tdi, but it may be usefull for any tdi with dpf

thanks

Last edited:

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
So your plan is to bypass dpf with wastegate? You need at least 60mm wastegate for that

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
and a waste-gate that can handle what? 1700F?

typical wastegates/bypass valves are used on the charged air circuit right? Maybe the exhaust flapper valve on the CR may work better but doesn't seal 100% as its a rough butterfly valve.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
and a waste-gate that can handle what? 1700F?

typical wastegates/bypass valves are used on the charged air circuit right? Maybe the exhaust flapper valve on the CR may work better but doesn't seal 100% as its a rough butterfly valve.
Charged air in the exhaust? :D Well these normally work around 850-950c on gasoline engines so adding it to to the exhaust to bypass dpf you probably see only 600-700c. There are also watercooled wastegates.
And indeed flap is way better and smaller to bypass dpf

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
My 3.0 tdi has bigger turbo and upgraded CR fuel pressure. 360hp and 800n/m

I'm going to remove downpipe and mount DPF due to MOT every year (the car has 10 years), so I have to detune so much due to dpf.

I'm looking for someting that help me to detune less.

Not a full bypass, just something to reduce EGP

something like that. but works only with a spring, when the egp is high, opens. Will reduce egt and egp.

thanks you very much

Last edited:

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
Charged air in the exhaust? :D Well these normally work around 850-950c on gasoline engines so adding it to to the exhaust to bypass dpf you probably see only 600-700c. There are also watercooled wastegates.
And indeed flap is way better and smaller to bypass dpf

install a flap and a system to command it, seems difficult.

I'm looking for something easy to install. Have seen this wastegates on ebay, and springs to change open pressure.

But I don't know what pressure would be ok to set up the spring

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
Exhaust flaps can be controlled by vacuum, boost or electronic. If you have boost creep with wg helps, otherwise not that much. What kind s turbo you have if you have emp problem? Some silly hybrid?

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
is the original turbo of new 3.0 tdi 272/286ps. I run 105mg and 2.05 bar boost

Now with downpipe I have no problems, the car is amazing,

but I will install dpf soon, and I will have to detune so much, or the dpf will burn.

I'll lose many hp (60 hp at least.)

So I'm thinking about wastegate to allow me get some extra power with dpf. And easy to install

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
My 3.0 tdi has bigger turbo and upgraded CR fuel pressure. 360hp and 800n/m

I'm looking for someting that help me to detune less.

Not a full bypass, just something to reduce EGP

something like that. but works only with a spring, when the egp is high, opens. Will reduce egt and egp.

thanks you very much
So that bypasses the DPF and the turbo? how is that better? how will that help when you don't have to pass the MOT and want the turbo to boost as much as possible? Unless you want the valve after the turbo and only divert EG to the DPF under MOT testing and normal testing free flow.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The wastegate is pre-turbo. You'll also lose power when it opens. I'd just tune out a few hp if it's really a problem for the dpf(going to need a new tune regardless). Really doubt it would be necessary to tune out 60 hp.

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
The wastegate is pre-turbo. You'll also lose power when it opens. I'd just tune out a few hp if it's really a problem for the dpf(going to need a new tune regardless). Really doubt it would be necessary to tune out 60 hp.

Hope you are right. I'm asking my chiptuner a soft al least agressive as stage 2+, but with safe limiters when high temperatures or pressures are reached.

I got the dpf cleaned with liquid in a machine. The result was so good.

If I got dissapointed with the result, probably I will try a wastegate, my first idea was to place it between turbo and dpf, but it's not that easy as use EGR pipe.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
It seems he is trying to bypass the DPF partially when exhaust pressures are high (high engine load). Bypassing it would reduce the soot accumulation somewhat, yes, and car wouldn't complain on emissions inspections.

I don't think it's too terrible idea, just don't know how much it would help though, if it's not too much exhaust being rerouted.

mk3pd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Passat Quattro :)
If exhaust gases are bypassed between Turbo and DPF
Where are you sending the exhaust gases to?
If to open air it will for sure be audible,if back to exhaust after DPF it will be measurable at MOT,so......

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
The only viable place for the wastegate would be between turbo and DPF, to reduce backpressure caused by the DPF. And it should not open in the MOT test of course. Gases should be routed back to the exhaust after DPF if you don't like the noise.
I like this idea :).

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
A wastegate wouldn't be the best option an exhaust dump controlled by boost pressure would be better. However if you bypass to much exhaust at higher rpms then you risk not getting your dpf hot enough to light it off to regen. This would lead to plugging your dpf sooner. So the best way to do it would be to have a switch on an electric exhaust dump so during non test times you just have the dump open bypassing the dpf. Then when you have the test close the dump and run it straight through the dpf.

Here's a super simple one that you can control mechanically then you wouldn't need to find a power source

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30862/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710703006&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=39714413703&CATCI=aud-300525381019:pla-484224304472&CATARGETID=230006180039220951&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0ejNBRCYARIsACEBhDOOzCMzkz7QAt7YhpX1tbNoC2_ngx93tju9KEyhPdoBdK8dOouzZ0oaAueGEALw_wcB

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
The only viable place for the wastegate would be between turbo and DPF, to reduce backpressure caused by the DPF. And it should not open in the MOT test of course. Gases should be routed back to the exhaust after DPF if you don't like the noise.
I like this idea :).

yes, thats the idea. The wastegate only would open at high charge, and would make noise. A pipe direct to the floor for this exhaust can be fitted.

The wastegates I've seen have 38 & 44 milimeters. Enought to reduce the backpressure created by the dpf

Of course wont open at the MOT.

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
well, I already have the DPF installed, but getting regenerations has been a real nightmare because I had supressed many electricals when I fitted a bigger turbo. (EGR, flap controllers..., egt sensors)

I spend many months testing files with my chiptuner withouth success, and finally had to plug al the electrics I removed to get regenerations. Although now they are useless.

I'm very happy now because I don't have to make mods for MOT, and I breathe cleaner air.

The problem now is that I still run with strong remap, 103mg and 2.0bar boost.
The dpf goes dirty very fast, and does not regenerate until exceedes 30g of ashes, and never cleans below 10g.

Most of the time the filter is above 20-25g. There is many exhaust backpressure, and power losses.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
talk to bobby singh
he's got the experience tuning DPF 3.0 v6 cars to go fast while burning clean

I doubt your emissions inspectors are going to like seeing a shiny chinese wastegate with an obvious dump pipe under there.

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
Now I doubt between:

- Install External Wastegate between turbo and dpf.
Will reduce backpressure, but I would need to hole DPF downpipe. Here in MOT are watching any mod in dpf, and it may supose problems.

- Install external wastegate in exhaust manifold, using egr pipe. No problems in MOT if I remove it.
It will reduce backpressure, but I would loose exhaust flow in turbocharger.

I also want to get regens over 15 g. of ash, but that is another challenge.

Last edited: