External waste gate on AHU TDI possibly EGR hole

lucassayers7

TDI
MK6 TDI Golf (recall) MK1 Rabbit TD from NA(sold) MK1 Scirocco TDI (Building)1990 Corrado TDI(Daily)
I have an issue with the hybrid turbo i just got and having the housing face the right way and keeping the boost actuator on the turbo from hitting the block.
Solutions:
-Small exhaust manifold spacer 1/4 to 3/8 inch might work
-new custom exhaust manifold
Or
-External waste gate. My Idea is using the egr hole on the exhaust manifold for this then i can just add a y pipe on my exhaust which needs a few new parts anyways.
Has anyone looked into this on what size it is or if it will work? they sell 38mm ones two bolts, might order it and weld it on anyway to the port would be awesome if it bolted up though. If i decide it is wroth a shot ill post pics and the results asap.

also what psi is the n75 letting through is it just fluttering the actual boost pressure as needed or a specific number?

Last edited:

Caddy_Man

TDI
Vw caddy
I came up with the same idea the other day i.e. Using the EGR port on the exhaust manifold/turbo for an external wastegate. For the same reason - the vnt assembly on my turbo is sticking/notchy. (This is my second turbo, so I know replacing them is a pain). I have bought a genuine Tial F38 (38mm) external wastegate. I will draw up an interface block to go between the EGR port and have it CNC machined out of steel.
EGR port bolt spacing = 60mm
Tial hole spacing = 71mm (ish due to being imperial)