Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8 w/ Mercedes Engine!!!

jbg

TDI
2010 JSWagen TDI
Where specifically do you see this engine being from MB? The new CRD Liberty is using a MV engine out of Italy (which I thought was a subset of VW??). This was discussed elsewhere in these forums. Unless you're referring to a future model, in which case I didn't see any mention of it on Jeep's website.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
In november guys... Euro E300TD Engine and Tranny

www.jeep.com / www.jeep.ca
The Liberty diesel has been scheduled since AT LEAST 2002. earlier Liberty diesel topic Every two weeks someone posts again as if it is news. I simply want to see DCX release the darn thing! It has a VW Motori engine and it is a good one from reports of Euro owners.

Another one that pops up is the Crosslander which was supposed to show up in summer 2003 with a international diesel. When will it ever arrive?

Ford Focus diesel- canceled for North America. Ford beleives North America would not want a diesel and should continue with the old Focus platform until 2010 when even Russia and China will obtain the new platform.

Ford 6 cyl diesel for F150 by International- engine design completed and new plant built to manufacture it and then Ford and International got into a big fight. Ford diesel 6 So another Ford disappointment. Perhaps I could buy a $30,000 Escape Hybrid. NOT!

London Taxi - available in both Taxi and regular versions in USA and Canada.

Now CARB is creating even more lunacy than before with new proposed emissions legislation. They may just kill the diesel market.
Anyone remember the CARB mandate of 10% electric vehicles? What a failure.

Philip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, Grey
Guy @ Jeep says it a MB engine (Jeep = Chrysler = Mercedes)

lets wait and see

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
I don't know about these new common rail VMs but the old IDI diesels were pretty cool.

The had a chain drive camshaft and four separate cylinder heads.

It was a modular engine, in fact I met a guy once that had the 3.6 six cylinder in a Range Rover.

The four cylinder was fitted in the Rover SD1, the original Range Rover and the old Jeep Cherokee.

gredi

Veteran Member
They must be OK engines for UPS to buy them, eh?

Of course being the power hungry, wasteful American that I am, I'd rather see this Yeah baby, YEAH!! in the NA market Liberty. I wonder if they would sell me one......

gredi

Veteran Member
Apparently, you had part of the powertrain suppliers correct. The following is an e-mail response from Jeep:

Currently, any information on a 2.5L manual transmission common rail
diesel being released in the United States is not available but Jeep is
planning on releasing a 2.8L common rail diesel with a new 5-Speed
automatic transmission. Standard on 4X4 CRD equipped models. Features an
extra gear (vs. the 4-speed automatic). Provides enhanced balance of
performance and fuel economy with the transmission being based on a
Mercedes-Benz design.

An American built body and chassis, Italian engine and a German Transmission. I sure would hate to be a parts guy at a Jeep dealership after this fall.

IdahoTDI

TDI
01 NB
Looks like order info will be ready to go in Sept with delievery in Jan 05 according to dealer I talked to. This may be a good compromise for my 2 vechiles. 01 NB and 03 GMC 1500 4X4.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
Now, the diesel version of the Jeep *Grand* Cherokee has an MB engine.

ksharrington

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Now, the diesel version of the Jeep *Grand* Cherokee has an MB engine.
Can we get a link to a source for this information?

I am still waiting for a smaller pickup with a smaller diesel. A Dakota with a 2.8 diesel would be nice.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Cherokee 2.5 L 2500 cc - 4 Cyl - 16 Valve

This vehicle is built in Toledo, Ohio (USA) and the current version is sold in Europe with the latest generation 2.5L diesel engine with manual transmission. A 2.8L automatic version has recently been launched in Europe and both versions will soon be available in America. The 2.5L has a power rating of 105 kW while the 2.8L produces 110kW. VM began supplying engines for the Cherokee in 1994.

Engine 2.5 L
Displacement 2499 cc
Cylinders 4 in line
Valves 16
Injection Direct - Common rail
Max power 105 kW
Torque 340 Nm
Weight -
Emissions EURO 3
Wow, that's a big 4 cylinder. The dealer in my area thought they would become available in Sept/Oct. I don't believe they are CARB compliant.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
That's OK with me, I have a Grand Cherokee with the 4x4 and the V-8 that is going to need an engine soon... It has over 150k miles on it now, and I figure it will need an engine in about another year or so. If I have to order a turnkey motor from England, I will. It will be cheaper than replacing the entire vehicle with one of these Carb-bastardised engines!

--Jim