Ooops TDI does 5K RPM!

ScottTDI

Veteran Member
Hmmm, I gassed my 2K A4 Jetta today around a turn and looked down at the tach. It popped up to 5K. Has anyone else's done that? I thought they were electronically limited to 4.5 K to protect the engine from dummies like me. I think it might have been inertia on the needle that drove it that high. Anyone think I could have done engine damage? It was very brief, the engine was warmed up and I run Delvac 1, currently 2.5 K old.

Thanks,

Scott

blue909

Veteran Member
I can't answer your question (tho' I'd be surprised if it was needle inertia) but I would like to know what sort of expression is that smiley you chose supposed to have?

blue909

M

mickey

I don't think they're "limited" by anything besides being diesels. The stock motors run out of breath quickly above 4K. They can't go much faster than that.

No way you damaged the engine. The 2.0 is basically the same animal and revs a lot higher because it's running on gasoline.

-mickey

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
There is a rev limiter. It's 5100 or so - I tried it in first gear. The thing is meant to operate at 4,750 or so at full load - blipping into the limiter once in a while won't hurt anything. Ted

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: Ted_Grozier ]

ScottTDI

Veteran Member
Wow thanks guys I feel better.

Blue909 are you serious? That is funny because I was trying to find the right expression. It was meant to be kind of a sheepish, I am kinda stupid but it was fun, man this car hauls a$$, but I hope I didn't hurt it, just got done blazing home down Hwy 80 at illegal speeds from skiing in Tahoe with 1-2 feet of fresh powder, etc... Thanks for asking

Oh I forgot to mention it, as I was letting the turbo cool in the driveway, I did notice my VW emblem on the engine cover was rattling/vibrating. I have never noticed it doing that before so I thought maybe the engine was now suddenly vibrating differently.

Thanks,

Scott

blugg

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, black
MICKEY: You're right about the 2.0 gasser. I've been driving one for ten days now (an agency loaner} and at 80mph it is turning 1000rpm's more than the TDI at the same speed. A few times in Tucson, accelerating WFO to take advantage of a hole in traffic, i've seen it get near 6K.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Operation at and above 5,000 in fifth gear is not possible in a stock TDI without some serious assist from gravity or a 130 mph tail wind. WITH gravity assist it IS possible and has been done. 5100 rpm does peg the speedometer at somethere north of 145 mph. Been there, been scared. No need to go back again. Simultaneous achievement of the limits of my nerves and the car's ability.

csimo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The TDI has a rev limiter on it, at least the '98s did. I purchased a new '98 and the dealer later notified me that it was a wrecked car and they offered to purchase it back from me. I was so pissed I tried to blow it up. You can put the pedal to the metal and it will get to nearly 5000 RPMs then the injection cuts off and it cycles between 4000 and 5000 RPMs.

When I purchased my first WETT chip in '98 they asked me if I wanted the rev limiter left, or removed. I had it removed. They didn't ask for the '99, '00, or '01 though.

think diesel

Veteran Member
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Nothing I would be winking and smiling about, though one time I sure won't do any damage.

Then again, I am one of those who is perfectly content with 90 horsepower and feels no desire to hasten the demise of my engine/transmission by testing it's limits with chips, tuning boxes, injectors, propane or whatever else. I guess I don't see the point, when I could go out tommorow and buy a stock 1.8T and beat most of the "souped up" TDI's around (sorry!)

5,000 RPM is not a good idea. The engine's peak horsepower is a 3,750 so revving beyond 4,000 makes no sense at all unless you just want to see how much the motor can take. Not me. I want 400,000 miles.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
Of course, think diesel, I also do not intend to rev my TDI to 5000 RPM and beyond, just to hasten its demise. However, mistakes can happen. I once was behind a bus on a single-lane road. When I had a chance to pass him, I down shifted, and OOPS! D'OH!, my tach also went well past the red line. I did, however, manage to pass the bus, and so far, the engine has not complained of that momentary lapse!

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
I was taking race driving lessons last Fall. The instructor took my car out to "show me what it could do." Well, he downshifted from 4th to second and brought the rpms OVER 5500!!! I saw that and nearly soiled my pants - which would have been dificult to remove from the biege Skizze Velour

Anyway, I proceeded to race my car for the next 2 hours after said visit with self-destruction. These motors can handle some serious abuse!

D'nardo

PS. I'm sure the fuel pump was cut off at 5500 rpm but the engine was roaring!

Preacher Bob

The first time my wife drove our car on the freeway (clutch learning experience) she just thought about getting out in traffic quickly, not shifting. I looked at the tach, it was over 5000 rpm and the engine was cooking, not cutting out. The car had only a few hundred miles on it at the time. Haven't had it in the red zone since, and all seems to be ok with about 12,200 on engine.

[ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: Preacher Bob ]

[ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: Preacher Bob ]

ScottTDI

Veteran Member
Thanks for even more replies

think diesel, it was an accident, that is why I intended the wink to be "sheepish". I was pumped from a fairly exiting drive, and it was slightly damp out. I think I was spinning out, and the r's came up faster than I had expected.

Scott

think diesel

Veteran Member
I've done it before too, one time when I was following a friend off of a highway off-ramp and I had to accelerate quickly to stay behind him and in front of a huge garbage truck that was approaching rapidly. Mistakes happen, I doubt once or twice is going to cause any permanent damage.

Colucci-- If someone deliberately drove MY car like that, I would smack the teeth out of their head. I don't know how you restrained yourself.

Craig

Veteran Member
Sorry think diesel, but my car rarely revs beyond 3,500--no need to. But I want the power for safety reasons when passing--then there is never enough. There ain't any 1.8T that is going to come anywhere close to me when you factor in performance AND mileage. Show me a 57 mpg 1.8T that runs on fuel 10 c/liter cheaper than regular!