MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I ran mine down to 0 miles to empty once. I think it still had about a gallon left in the tank.

My son recently ran his TDI out of fuel, and I was trying to remember if I've ever run out of fuel. I don't think I have. But I do run my cars pretty low before refilling. I once put 16.9 gallons in IBW.

I had the fuel pump out of the tank on my MK7 coincidentally when I was close to "0 miles remaining" and there was a lot of fuel remaining. I would guess more than a gallon but hard to "eyeball".

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I re-filled my Mk7 close to the brim after a "0 miles" notice and the math suggests there was nearly 1.2 gallons remaining. I think one problem is the consistency of the computer and miles/FE (in a different way than the error and corrections associated with MPG). I've found its estimate of miles remaining is far less consistent than other FE data, and likely would produce different amounts of fuel remaining after the "0 miles" notice.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Currently the MFI on my GSW is showing 50.5 MPG, almost all highway miles. I've adjusted the MPG reading so it should read accurately or slightly low. I'll see when I refill.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The 0 mile warning is deliberately conservative by around a gallon so that people don't get stranded as often. I know I start looking for a fuel station pretty seriously once that zero miles pops up.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I recall in a B5 discussion that the lift pump has to work a little harder to pump fuel to a tandem pump when the fuel level is low in the tank and may result in a slightly shortened lifespan.
I am pretty certain there is a liftpump in the Mk7 TDI because I can hear it when I cycle following a fuel filter change.

Last edited: