White smoke / oil out of the exhaust

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Not really. Perhaps someone knows. You'll need the technical data for each to compare.

Catalin_BN

TDI
Franken 1Z+AFN
[/url][/IMG]
At least they look different. But from what I understand, 1z/AHU maf reads until 850 mg/st...and AFN should read until 1250 mg/st, or something similar.
I think it's a must to hook up VCDS and see how much it reads.
As you can see there are differences.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Cosmetics may be indicative of but not a true determination of function.
Even the plug and tube connects can be modified.
The important thing is what they do. I saw some posts over in the Power Enhancement forum where they got into this some.

Catalin_BN

TDI
Franken 1Z+AFN
Cosmetics may be indicative of but not a true determination of function.
Even the plug and tube connects can be modified.
The important thing is what they do. I saw some posts over in the Power Enhancement forum where they got into this some.
Cosmetics is just 1 point, from what I understand 90 hp maf can read until 850 mg/st and 110 hp maf can read until 1250 mg/st.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
And the ECU is looking for certain values. Chip tuners can deal with this, long coding or some such.

Catalin_BN

TDI
Franken 1Z+AFN
That is what I was thinking too, my maf, is not reading the hole scale that the ecu is expecting for.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, it's simple thing but hard to find the data you need. It's out there somewhere. Google and the like does not search the whole internet.

Catalin_BN

TDI
Franken 1Z+AFN
Well thank you for the help regarding MAF!

For the moment the problem is partially solved. The white smoke is gone, but there is still a hint of bluish smoke while the engine is warm and I light throtle it.
Today I changed the CCV valve with a brand new one, I will come back with more updates.

UPDATE:

New ccv, nothing has changed.

Car has a costum return oil line. Might be cloged, or even too small in diameter, despite the fact that I used the same oil line for 2 years and never had this problem.

I will try to make a new return oil line and report back.

Regarding oil consumption, after 1000 km it went down about 2 mm on the dipstick, well f%$K that's not a good sign.

Last edited:

Catalin_BN

TDI
Franken 1Z+AFN
New oil return line installed, DN12, way better. No more blueish smoke during cold engine (car had some pufs of blueish smoke during cold engine).
But still, there some blue smoke during WOT uphills. After reaching the top of the hill, I stopped the car and check the exhaust, smoke persisted for no longer then few seconds, and it was completley gone, even if I redlined the car.
I'm still suspecting the oil feed union. Can you help me regarding this subject?
Does the oil feed union has any restriction? I didn't pay attention to that while installing the rebuilt turbo. I just picked one ( i had 2 broken turbos).
I will investigate more and return the feedback.

Again, thank you for your SUPPORT guys!
I couldn't solve this out without your help.

BTW, white smoke is completley gone, and of course it was the MAF.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Pretty sure both the supply and return are unrestricted. Tricky to get on and off without damage.

Catalin_BN

TDI
Franken 1Z+AFN
Pretty sure both the supply and return are unrestricted. Tricky to get on and off without damage.
I'm thinking about the union bolt on the turbo feed. Is it the same inside diameter at all tdi turbos?
I can't figure out another problem that would lead to blue smoke uphill at wot.

Catalin_BN

TDI
Franken 1Z+AFN
Sorry for the double post.
I'm not sure if I was clear enough for everybody.

White smoke is all gone, for everybody that had that problem, 1st of all check the MAF!!!!! Just unpluging it will make the smoke go away, quick and easy way to test.

Car had (almost sure it was present during white smoke) blueish pufs of smoke during acceleration on cold engine, I could see it when making a turn. As I already explained to you guys, my 1z is now running a rebuilt VNT 17va. This is not the 1st vnt, previous I used vnt15 and another vnt17, never had this problem until it started with white smoke. I didn't like the return line, so I made one bigger and better :)). Now bluish smoke on cold is totally gone!! YEY again!

Car is running great, good power, good start etc, no smoke even redlined, all of this until WOT uphills. I was thinking the car is going to catch on fire!!!! lots of blueish smoke from the exhaust.
I kept pushing it WOT until the top of the hill, stopped the car in a parking area, and the smoke was completley gone in less then few seconds. No smoke was present even at redline.

Regarding the last problem, I must check the union bolt for the feed line. I just picked up one from the turbos I had (still a VNT). Are the union bolts different? should this make a difference? or that the hell is happening with my car?

BTW, thank you again for your help guys!! I wouldn't be able to solve this problem without your support!