Mpg to expect

xphillips

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
I bought a 2010 Touareg TDI that was a fleet vehicle. After driving it on mostly Interstate travel, my consumption is 22 mpg, way under what I expected. Any suggestions?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Pre-fix they were rated 21 cty 28 hwy. Post-fix surely it will be worse. Depending on how fast you were going, and perhaps which wheels/tires it has, may vary a little bit, but you are probably not far off. The hwy rating if I recall is at a pretty low speed, like 60, which nobody ever does.

It is a 5k pound beast with a six cylinder and a slushbox.... it isn't a Jetta.

You can read my sticky in the Fuel Economy section for some tips.

bryanmabbott

TDI
'02 VW Golf Manual; '13 Touareg TDI
2010 rated at 18 city, 24 hwy, combined 20mpg. You're not too far off. Make sure tire pressure is right per the door jamb sticker (39 PSI front/46PSI rear). Other than that, make sure your speed doesn't exceed 75mph tops. I have a 2013 Touareg TDI which gets as advertised 29mpg on the freeway. Tire pressure and speed are the biggest factors.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The newer ones have two more gears in the transmission, too, although I am not sure how much RPM difference in top gear that makes.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
my 2016 TDI gets close to 30MPGs on rt95 from NE to Florida. No hills and 75MPH. I go 1450 miles on 2 tanks of diesel. I'm pretty happy. If you in the moutains at higher altitudes or going 80 mph it's going to be lower for sure.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
I get 23 @ 78 mph, although it appears better now with Malone and stock 20" wheels (it had aftermarket wide 20" before)

MPG improves significantly at 70 or less.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
2010 rated at 18 city, 24 hwy, combined 20mpg. You're not too far off. Make sure tire pressure is right per the door jamb sticker (39 PSI front/46PSI rear). Other than that, make sure your speed doesn't exceed 75mph tops. I have a 2013 Touareg TDI which gets as advertised 29mpg on the freeway. Tire pressure and speed are the biggest factors.
This.

The early V6s (2009-10) are just not as efficient as the later ones (especially the 2013-16 240 hp version). Couple of reasons. Yes, the transmission has two less gears and likely is ultimately not geared as tall in its final gear. Secondly, it has a proper transfer case with full time AWD. While, the later Touaregs have a transfer box of sorts and is also full time AWD, it does not have the low gear transfer case with center locking differential.

The 2009-10 cars, despite having two less gears in the transmission, weigh 200 lbs MORE than the 2011 and later versions with the 8 speed transmission for this reason. Of course that weight itself isn't making up for that much in efficiency, but it does seem the combination of having the early "4XMotion" system with the 6 speed transmission does sap noticeable efficiency from the V6 TDI Touaregs.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The later V6s also only have two chains waiting to fail in the engine, instead of four. :p
Mr Hammer, You keep scaring me with the chains in the 3.0 TDI.
Gives me the "willies".
Hopefully if they fail while I have the car it will be within the 48K miles extended "We Screwed Everyone" warranty.
The 2012 TDI Exec is a wonderful car and does a great job around town and towing our little 16' Scamp trailer.
Any advice on how to treat the car to make failure less likely?
I bought this car after it was turned in with Dieselgate and it had regular dealer service including most of what the dealer wanted to service.
I bought it at 94K miles and have 120k miles currently.
I assume that some engines run trouble free while some percentage do give problems.
Of course a high dollar car sold to high dollar customers is different from a low dollar used car. The acquisition cost is low, but the maintenance cost continue to the premium.
I think that this is a part of driving VWs of all types.
I never considered myself a VW guy, but looking back over a lifetime of driving having owned some odd 15 VW I guess I would be guilty as charged.

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf Tdi manual transmission. Wife's car a 2014 toured v6 Tdi
I have a 2013 Touareg love it. For long trips. Before fix 29 to30 mpg at 70 mph. Now 23 to 29 mpg. Love 8 speed Asian transmission coupled to the 3 litter TDI

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I have a 2013 Touareg love it. For long trips. Before fix 29 to30 mpg at 70 mph. Now 23 to 29 mpg. Love 8 speed Asian transmission coupled to the 3 litter TDI
Not Asian. Aisan. Brand name. Not area of the world. Thanks.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I thought the 2011 and up went back to ZF. At least that is what the dealer told me.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Amazing how little car dealers knows about what they sell. There was a thread on another site that said the dealer wanted to do a DSG fluid change on a Touareg. That's just a $500 job that doesn't exist. LOL Move on to someone else to do the work on the car that knows what they are doing