Proposal for new sections

think diesel

Veteran Member
Why don't we create two new sections? It would be nice to have a "Newbies" section so veterans don't have to read through the same threads over and over again to get to new, useful information. I think we could also use a "pissing and moaning" Problems sections for people to vent their issues in so that prospective buyers looking for useful info don't have to read 25 threads about squeaky dashboards just to find out the answer to a question.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Amen to the newbie section!!!! If they could only read the FAQs or do a search.

------------------
Forum's only distributor for nasty pills and suppositories

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member
Having gotten used to such in audio related forums, I would propose a "Review" forum be created so that in depth reviews of the cars may be posted. This kind of forum would be very useful for those new to the TDI (and VW)or simply unfamiliar with the car and would be a lot easier to navigate or search. Such a forum would provide an opportunity for people to write the kind of practical car reviews the professional reviewers rerely do. On other forums, when I post a review, I compose it with a word processor and copy it into the forum space.

JWeb

I think a Newbie section would be great...but "dparnell"--especially "dparnell"... God man...loosen up a bit. Hell...I understand you don't want to read through the same dribble that some other person wrote three spots down...and I admit, the whole AMSOIL stuff is wearing, but please do not refer to the "newbee's" as "they"...I am a "newbee". Why do you have to group all of us "newbee"'s so damned negatively??? I don't know...I think it's good to see a site such as this growing in numbers...perhaps you don't. What the hell..."If they could only read the FAQs or do a search..."?? God man... I mean, I spent a good 20 min looking through the FAQ's and Forum's before I posted my question. And, luckily, I posted a question that had not been asked...or, maybe I was lucky that you just didn't answer it and ***** about it being asked 3 years ago. Sorry 'bout that.

Don't ***** about people asking questions...we're not all as knowledgeable as you. Or perhaps we work, come home, and enjoy talking to others about their TDI's...heaven forbid you burden yourselves with another repeat question...I understand a person can grow weary of the same old questions, but that's a great way to chase off anyone new trying to put their two cents in...

I'll get off my soapbox...I'm out...

valois

Banned
New members are what spice the Forum up, you guys have to realize that some lurk here for years before they get indignant enough to answer Doyle.
People take him too serious sometimes. He's just kidding. Too funny.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
JWeb, is that you Janet?
---Oh what a tangled web a newbie can weave---kinda reminds me of when FrankTDI torn me a new Ahole
---now we're brothers in defense of conservatism on our respective coasts.
Rene, you're getting to know me toooo well
!!!

------------------

M

mickey

I like newbies. I like to give them candy. I think they like me, too. Candy, little newbies? Do you want some candy? Huh huh, huh....

-mickey

MEAT

Veteran Member
I vote we ban newbees, they're so silly.

------------------
1996 Pink VW Cabrio, Barbie Edition, wide open exhaust, has been rear ended

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Hmm, some good ideas. I'm mulling over them as I type this. Problems I have with a Newbies section is:

* will veterans help out people in the newbies section?
* It might spread the answers around even more?

Review section is a really good idea. I'm thinking if it should be of just cars, or include addons etc.

Comments?

PS, arktiaxs, there already is a search function on the top of every page.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Karl, if you keep that up they're going to take your polyanna/Karl Poppins award away---now go play with your guages or open your umbrella and fly away---no singing PLEEESE!

------------------

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Yes!

DO make a "Newbie" section. When the newbie opens it, let the link take him/her straight to the FAQ. Then the "Return to Forum" link should take him/her to the "Forum Guidelines." It would be a PITA, but at least s/he'd know of these places first.

------------------
Stealth 98 Jetta TDI w/87k, 802mi/55mpg (best)
Scott's Jetta TDI Page, TDIClub.com Merchandise

think diesel

Veteran Member
I think that the veteran members who enjoy answering (the same) questions repeatedly would naturally gravitate to the Newbie's Section to lend a hand--- that would free up space in the other forums for stuff more appropriate to the title of the respective sections.

Karl- I agree, dashboards should not squeak. I also agree that people would be better served by having one central section to post all their gripes about their car --- rather than plastering them all over every other thread, no matter how inappropriate the context.

The forums have grown big enough that this kind of expansion is needed to return some order-- IMHO.

murraywest

Veteran Member
I have long ago said that a section of investment talk headed by SkyPup would be interesting. After all, paying for our TDS's is just as important as the bend in the dipstick, or wether or not to use dish soap when washing the car.

SkyPup already affirmed his consent.

(I thought Derf was going to wet himself when mickey came out of the barbarian dish soap closet.)

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
what the hell are you guys thinking

can guarnatee you if there is a newbie section we will not lose alot of new members.
as Valois says it spices up the fourums. and how many of you hard headed vetrans would linger in the newbie section, give me a break. sorry but that is the dumbest thing i ever heard
why don't we just have a bunch of differnet sections that go by the month you started that way seniority would rule. man i don't know what you guys are thinking, wait i got an idea, lets kick fred out since he doesn't have a TDI. jesus!

with that vented, i think it would be nice to have a section devoted to "searchable" items not a post but a dedicated links or info section.
where AMSOIL and Delvac are listed and where you can find them. also list accessories and engine upgrade and where and how to buy them. THIS would save alot of newbie questions.

i started a thread on oil instead of searching, and i am glad i did because now i know that i can get oil within 90 miles of my house and better yet the member that told me is meeting me half way with the oil and i am buying his floor mats for him from the dealer since i get a discount. you guys see how this stuff works for everyone, even the newbies can help you old f@ckers.

give me a break, "newbie" section
garrett P.

------------------
2000 JEDI TDI Silver (helps reflect cosmic rays)
Full Commander, Prime Minister of Power and all that is good

[This message has been edited by garrettp (edited September 28, 2000).]

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I thinking a newbie section would be nice if there is a basic starting point. I mean most of at least some point read the FAQ. But I also notice that many topics are not in the FAQ or needed more detail info.

A better idea, any writers out there? Write a TDI for Dummies book?

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member
VWDerffredVW:

Part of the notion of a Review forum is that the text is not lost to time as it is in the day-to-day forums. Not being a Web site designer, I could not suggest how this may be effectively accomplished but other sites I know of have done so.

I think the notion of "add-ons" in a Review forum is useful too. By example, the Upsolute discussion: Valois might post his review of the result with the upgrade, and others would post other SIGNIFICANT related perspective and information. Thus it may be possible to have concise and important information about a given topic in one place. The potential downside to this is that most people simply prefer "free" discussion in the open forum format.

Littlegator

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Green
As for a pissing and moaning section. Why not. We could piss and moan about problems with the car and we could piss and moan about our spouse and we could piss and moan about the dealer where we bought the car and we could piss and moan about oil and we could piss and moan about Howardz (whoever that is) and we could piss and moan about dashboard squeaks and we could piss and moan about race, sex, religion and we could piss and moan about stupid threads and we could piss and moan about people selling stuff.

What else is there? I guess the other section would be called photos.

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by garrettp:
even the newbies can help you old f@ckers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on Garrettp! You don't see many old fockers anymore. Just in German airplane museums.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
someone please promot littlegator right now. i am still laughing at that last pissing and moaning post. you can just keep reading it and laughing (at least i can anyway).
littlegator your rank up there with mickey and Gassingerhard

jackmc, thanks i think

------------------
2000 JEDI TDI Silver (helps reflect cosmic rays)
Full Commander, Prime Minister of Power and all that is good
assistant to President Valois in the UPsolute territory

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
we need a heavy weight section so Howie can face off with TS w/o cloggin stuff up and so Skypup can face off with Ric.

Seriously - a newbie FORUM would not be good. a newbie Section with warnings about Doyle
(basically saying ignore that little mean freak
) telling em where to go.

Here (brainstorm):
maybe there could be a list where Old F**kers who are willing to answer newbie questions could list their email. so someone who wants to ask something can ask a vetran that they know will help.

A Piss and Moan section?
well, we already have one: the jerry Springer section which now seems to be needing a rename to:
"Pointless Surveys Asked by Ric and Co."

Oh can we put a Door rattle section in there somewhere too?

Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat
Keep working on the the FAQ's, the reviews are an interesting idea. I've wondered if newcomers would also be helped by a 'top ten debated topics', like amsoil vs delvac, cleaning the intercooler, etc. Just let them know the 2 sides and warn them that it will be fought over till we are all driving hydrogen cars.

tonsofun

Hey Old F@ckers!
You guys need to lighten up a bit! What actually makes you veteran members is those newbies otherwise you can exchange telephone numbers and forget about any public/Internet forums. You have created this forum but we/newbies have created you - the old F@ckers !!!(now it’s time for that little, stupid, green smiling face but I don’t know where that sucker hides - you need to update your FAQ!)
The reason that I participate in this forum (exept of course for owning a terrific, little machine called 2K Jetta TDI) is it’s present format. A little experimenting with it won’t hurt, but don’t brake something that ain’t broken!

…OK, this is one more post on my way to the Old F@cker Club! ...BTW(this means "By the way" I suppose), how many of this do I need to be allowed to preach to newbies!(LOL(?)and a green smiling idiot!)

-Vic

Tinker

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997, White
I don't think there should be newbie section. Are we going to have TDi Maintenance, Performance, Fuels and Addittives, ect, sub-sections under the newbie section. This would be alot more work for Fred

I would like to see a page where we could post pics of our
TDi's.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
tinker, there is a site dedicated to TDI pics that was created by TDI JAVA (assistant to the minister of propaganda) http://shannondew.com/
check it out as you can start your own gallery and view that of others. it is very awesome. i will post pics there once i get them all scanned.

i still think a dedicated, non-posting area would be nice. someting for information instead of searching the entire site. heck,, i would volunteer to moderate it.

me again