Towing with a 2015 Passat??

cruisin

TDI
2006 Jetta
We have a 2015 Passat TDI with the automatic transmission. Is it advisable or not to tow with it? Our hope is to trailer our Can Am Spyder (~1100lbs) on a 5 x 8 trailer. I had nephew recently tell me there are certain VW transmissions that are no good for towing. How do I determine what mine is and whether or not to pursue the towing of the Spyder? :confused:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
your ok with 1100, some chicks weigh that :D Honestly though, just avoid driving slow at 5mph and below and avoid steep ground takeoffs as that's when the computer slips the clutches.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I'd be more concerned with tongue weight than with total weight. The rear end suspension on the Passat is not beefy, at all. My car becomes a low-rider with a couple hundred pounds of tools in the trunk.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
We have a 2015 Passat TDI with the automatic transmission. Is it advisable or not to tow with it? Our hope is to trailer our Can Am Spyder (~1100lbs) on a 5 x 8 trailer. I had nephew recently tell me there are certain VW transmissions that are no good for towing. How do I determine what mine is and whether or not to pursue the towing of the Spyder? :confused:
So, with a 350 lb trailer, you're talking ~1500 lb. Tongue weight somewhat depends on where you set the trike in the trailer. I've towed an Lee-sure Xcel camping trailer (<800 lb loaded) all over the country, including the Rockies, with DSGs in several VW models without issues. I just take it easy and use the Tiptronic when appropriate.