2005 Passat TDI fuel filter changed, no start now

grNozzle

TDI
05 passat
Must be air in the system - I've filled the new filter with fuel and now need to bleed the air at the injectors.
Where do I do that? I can see no steel fuel lines running to a nut to loosen as in some videos online.
Thanks

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Like QuickTD says - there is no bleed screw. Make sure the filter is completely full, cycle the ignition key a dozen times or more (assuming your lift pump is working - can you hear it when you cycle the key?).
Then crank as described above. For every 15 sec cranking, I would wait another 30 sec between to let the starter cool down.

Keep at it, she'll start eventually.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Did you make sure you replaced the two o-rings on the T-fitting? Make sure the T-fitting is secure and properly seated? You can tear the o-rings if you don't seat it properly. How old is the T-fitting? They do get brittle and crack.

If that is all fine, then as the others have said, just keep cranking. It's counter intuitive, especially when the warning lights come on...

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Yes make sure the filter is full. I just replaced my fuel filter and the car has been running fine since. I caught a bad batch of fuel it seems. I was at my personal limit, so it was time (I put a new fuel filter in each fall). I went OEM this time as I really like the color coded, idiot proof (for my skill level), o rings for the thermostatic T.

Last edited:

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
I had that happen to me first time I changed the filter. Took a lot of cranking but finally started. Don’t try to bleed anything just follow the advice given above, she’ll start. Don’t worry about STOP engine immediately and other messages you will see on the cluster. Give starter a break after each crank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Pull the glow plugs and crank until you see a mist of fuel coming from all 4 of the the glow plug holes. Easier and faster to crank that way. Put the plugs back in and presto!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Pull the glow plugs and crank until you see a mist of fuel coming from all 4 of the the glow plug holes. Easier and faster to crank that way. Put the plugs back in and presto!
There is a chance the plug end can break off during removal. I would't touch them just for this reason.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
There is a chance the plug end can break off during removal. I would't touch them just for this reason.
I find that they tend to break off if they've are already burned out and have been surrounded by carbon. I think its better to take them out before you need to...then change them to the updated configuration.
Whatever...sure works for me and is much easier on the battery and starter when doing a bleed. There is no sense in compressing the air until you have fuel :cool:.