Gen 1 TDI fix receives EPA approval

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
First impressions - post fix

Put on about 525 miles since having the fix done. One 200 mile road trip in So Cal traffic to San Diego and back to L.A., then just the usual commutes to work.

Only significant change I see so far is a MPG drop from my usual 43-45 down to 41 this time. I've got another road trip to Utah starting today, so that'll give me a better idea if that's the new normal or the car is just relearning my driving habits.

You can see my Fuelly stat in the signature. That's every fuel-up I've had since owning the car. It was 44.1 prior to the latest.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
nice update..... interesting result. look forward to your Utah trip.

FlyingVan

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I had my 2011 JSW with 88k miles 'fixed' about 3 weeks ago. I only did it because of the $5600 incentive, otherwise I would have left it alone. I haven't had any issues with the car before, so I hope it will continue without issues for years to come.

Right off the bat I noticed that it holds onto a gear longer before up shifting. Even my wife noticed it and she is not 'into cars' at all. I am not too excited about it, so I end up shifting manually a lot more than before the fix. Fuel mileage seems to be a little lower going by the dashboard. Haven't done a proper fuel mileage check yet.

I also had the snow flap recall done at the same time. They estimated 4 to 5 hours for the whole recall, so I was surprised when they brought my car around after about 3 hours.

So far no issues noticed. Will post here if anything happens.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
Maybe with $1k of that cash, you could do a Malone Stage 2 and a dsg tune. Bet that'd pep it right up.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
respond2us is spot on! I never look back after malone stage 2, makes me want to go for 3 or 3.5 with CR170 turbo. so addictive to drive my TDI.

Linkbad21

TDI
2010 vw jetta Tdi
Welded on exhausts being from new parts from Volkwagen

Hi my 2010 VW jetta TDI has a welded exhaust rear of the car and I would like to see if anybody else had any problems trying to get the approved emissions fix. The second appointment the dealership found out that I had a welded exhaust but they're saying Volkswagen had welded their 2009 and 2010 exhausts but I want to see if that's true

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
2009 and some early 2010 models had an exhaust system which has the DPF in the same part as the NSC (NOX cat)

the photo below shows where the joint is placed on later cars, vs the early ones.

if you are qualified for the fix, and have the combined parts, they replace both sides and you end up with a new DPF in the deal.

Linkbad21

TDI
2010 vw jetta Tdi
2009 and some early 2010 models had an exhaust system which has the DPF in the same part as the NSC (NOX cat)

the photo below shows where the joint is placed on later cars, vs the early ones.

if you are qualified for the fix, and have the combined parts, they replace both sides and you end up with a new DPF in the deal.

Thank you for the Information. I have been told from the Volkswagen company itself to wait a Month or so till they figure out what to do on my Car. I just dont Understand why they welded the Exhaust parts on

Linkbad21

TDI
2010 vw jetta Tdi

Heres my link for the Picture of the paperwork Volkswagen doing the Weld for my 2010 vw Jetta tdi https://ibb.co/chhudk the dealership found out about the weld on my 2nd appt and they don't want to touch it they're waiting for a okay from Volkswagen to see what they could do so Now i have to wait for a month and a half but i really really like my car so i dont want them to buy it back

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They'll be able to fix it with the two piece dpf/NOx catalyst. They probably just don't have the parts in stock at the dealership.

Linkbad21

TDI
2010 vw jetta Tdi
They'll be able to fix it with the two piece dpf/NOx catalyst. They probably just don't have the parts in stock at the dealership.
Well they're saying they won't touch it at all because it's Welded on if that makes sense. They actually asked if I did the Welding myself but I showed them the paperwork that Volkswagen did it so I don't have to pay for the $4,000 to $6,000 for the new exhaust. I have to be on the two month waiting period to find out what Volkswagen the company itself going to do about my Car and some other ones that have it. It sounds like a bunch of Lies right?

Linkbad21

TDI
2010 vw jetta Tdi
Well my Approved emission settlement saying that Volkswagen has to do the Fix but yeah idk haha my dad has the same car as me and I'm hoping his car doesn't have the same thing as mine because he bought the car early

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Oh, I see- they hacked up and welded the factory dpf/nox cat. Funny they asked if you did it yourself. Since they did the Frankenstein hackjob, I don't see how they could worm out of doing the two piece replacement fix. Just be persistent- they should come around. Customer service doesn't come naturally to most vw dealers.

Linkbad21

TDI
2010 vw jetta Tdi
Oh, I see- they hacked up and welded the factory dpf/nox cat. Funny they asked if you did it yourself. Since they did the Frankenstein hackjob, I don't see how they could worm out of doing the two piece replacement fix. Just be persistent- they should come around. Customer service doesn't come naturally to most vw dealers.
Haha yeah i know right? Thank goodness i had paperwork to prove i didnt do it or other Car shops. I actually gave Volkswagen care a call and pretty much complained because I felt like I was getting the runaround becuz they weren't really explaining what's going on. I'll give them like about a month then I'll call in and see if they found the fix and I told my dealership to call me when they find out too .

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
Second impressions - post fix

Continued from my post #91 above. As I mentioned, I had an L.A. to St. George Utah trip this past week. Now, I'll admit I was watching closely to see what the car's take on the MPG (via MFD) was, and so I was not doing any jackrabbit runs to pass other vehicles, but I did stay at the speed limit (70-80 depending on locale) for the roughly 350 miles each way.

No performance issues, in fact, the few times I did need to quickly accelerate, I thought it was better than previous.

For the MPGs (calculated, not MFD), I had 48.9 from L.A. to Vegas, and then 46.3 from Vegas to St. George (MFD actually showed LOWER by about 1.5 MPG??!?!). Coming back today, MFD showed 46.8, straight through from St. George to L.A., so I'm hoping for a 45-47 MPG calculated.

joatmon

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Just a heads up.
if you have had any P0401 errors, It seems that VW is pushing to have the DPF changed out before the fix is applied.
These errors are saved even if the check engine (MIL) light has gone out.
Has anyone cleared the P401 code, had the "fix" completed, and then gone back for the extended warranty to fix the P401?

Thanks,

joatmon

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Indigo,
Sorry, I guess I missed that part of the post.
So you wiped out the code P0401, had the fix completed, then let the P0401 pop up again and the dealer changed out the DPF as part of the extended warranty?
I'm leaning towards keeping my car and am worried about paying to change out the DPF as I understand it's pretty expensive.

Thanks,

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
If that's the case, then *thumbs up*. I was thinking with so many less on the road that they wouldn't spend any R&D time to fix their tune to work with the new hardware/software updates.

If they do, I just might try to track down my bought-back TDI and buy it for a second time! :p

The kind of owners who seek out aftermarket tunes tend to be loyalists. That is not to say some enthusiast owners with tunes wound up turning in their TDI's for a GTI but in terms of the core market for APR and Malone it is still there I would think

Most TDI owners are unaware this forum even exists much less the fact you can "tune" a car for higher performance

Analogeezer

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Has anyone cleared the P401 code, had the "fix" completed, and then gone back for the extended warranty to fix the P401?
Thanks,
I didnt just clear code. I removed egr filter, cleaned it and then had fix done. code came back after about a week. Vw replaced egr filter again and replaved dpf Car is running great