Meet Lisa, my '96 1.9 TDI

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I thought Lisa was the name of the car? "Meet Lisa, my '96 1.9 TDI" and not indicative that the user is female!
Once. Just once, you might want to read before commenting...

LisaB4 said:
No idea Hope to have it repainted in August. While he does the body, I'm striping and cleaning up the engine. It goes slowly, but it will be done right! In 40 years I wanna be the grandma still driving her first car

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Your dedication to restore your car is extremely impressive and refreshing. This thread shows that if you love a car and you are willing to invest the time and money into it you can pretty much keep it forever!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That car is looking really awesome. Maybe better than new, and I’m not even a fan of these Passats. If I keep up on your progress maybe they’ll grow on me.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Almost there.

You should get a new coolant reservoir - they are not all that expensive, and really make the engine compartment look renewed.

Well worn:

vs new

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Indeed :) Although it is in very good condition, the tmin/max text is half gone. I plan on installing a new one. And I need a little plastic cap that says G12 instead of G11.
But first I have to try starting the engine. And hopefully there are no leaks, or it doesn't explode. I have never before installed a new head, done a timing belt,... So many thing that can go wrong.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
How's your trunk button/wiring dilemma going?

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I need quite a bit of kit to install that option. Haven't had the time/money to look for the components. Right now, it's trying to get the engine started first.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI

Just checked again what I needed. I would need the mid console button and wire harness, the trunk actuator and trunk wiring harness, and associated hardware. And it would need to come from the US since I haven't seen this option on a single B4 here :/

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Looking good!

I have a feeling you wouldn’t use the trunk release. I’m always forgetting it’s there and when I need to open the trunk, I’m standing there.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i get a little upset, from time to time, to take my key out of trunk 'button' it has to be in locked position. and my console button lately has been acting fussy, as long as it doesnt blow a circuit, i guess.
no big deal lisa, i was under the impression your name was also lisa, is it? as your thread is lisa, your screen name is also lisa.
anyways lisa, considering your build, a trunk release, and wiring and etc, is pretty far down the list. and wont effect starting a motor, or driveability, when you get there.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
My real name is actually Tine. Lisa really is just the name of my car :) Adding a button would mean I no longer have to open the trunk with the key. Which would be nice, as the plastic light lens tends to crack/scratch over time around the key hole from use.
But indeed, the trunk release is on the list, but way down. First I have to make sure it runs (and stays running), then finish the interior.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you leave the trunk key slot in the horizontal position, you can’t open the trunk by simply pressing the lock cylinder in?

The trunk/hatch locks/unlocks in sync with the doors, on both my 96 B4V, 97 B4 and 97 A3.

If I leave the key slot in the vertical position, it stays locked, but can be bypassed with the trunk button.

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
All liquids are in, still no drive shafts though. Regardless I connected a new battery to try to turn over the engine and build up some oil pressure (glowplugs out). Turned the key, electronics work, turned further,.. Nothing :( Not even a sigh from the starter motor :(

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Update: starter motor is good. It turns over when i jump it with a cable from solenoid straight to battery. Any ideas?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Most common issue on these cars is the starter switch in the column.

Best would be to have an assistance turn the key and see if you have 12v at the small wire going to the starter.

There is an off chance that the keyless / alarm module is faulty and not allowing the 12v to reach the starter solenoid.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I do not have an alarm or keyless entry, starter switch was fine when parked. It started fine before restoration. I get no power to the solenoid wire/plug

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I do not get a glow plug light. It has a new MFA cluster by Derek. Any way to test my relay 109? I have no spare :/
Then again, does the glow light come on even when there are no glow plugs fitted?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yes, the GP light will come on even without the GPs installed.

You have an alarm/security module, behind the headlamp switch - sliver box about the size of a cigarette pack.

No signal to the starter will likely have a different cause from the no GP light.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I have a Euro B4, so no alarm/security module that I know of there. Only thing there is behind the light switch is the immobilizer unit part n° 1h0953257bb

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Ok, immobilizer then. They can prevent the start 12v signal from reaching the starter, and have been found to be an issue in the past, but not as common as failed ignition switches. :D

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Then again, does the glow light come on even when there are no glow plugs fitted?
as windex said,
make sure, as for my glow plugs, the connectors have no protection, make sure, either connectors have the plastic 'caps' and protection, or you unplug glow plug harness, by cyl head. or !zapp!.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
VagCom scan:
Chassis Type: 35 - VW Passat B4
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,25

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 3A0 907 379
Component: ABS ITTAE 20 GI V00
Coding: 04505
Shop #: WSC 00000
3 Faults Found:
01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
16-00 - Signal Outside Specifications
00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Left (G46)
35-10 - - - Intermittent
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Right (G44)
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 25: Immobilizer
Controller: 1H0 953 257 B
Component: IMMO VWZ3Z0T102**** V00
Coding: 09600
Shop #: WSC 00046
1 Fault Found:
00546 - Data wiring faulty
27-00 - Implausible Signal

End --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Where does the ECU ground? My ECU isn't bolted down. Doe s it need a metal nut to ground the ECU holder to the frame?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
It grounds through the wiring harness. Are the grounds under the battery tray all clean and connected?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’m curious what the immobilizer code is seeing.

If your immobilizer/alarm is the same as US models, there should be a 6 pin harness. Look for the 2 fattest red wires and put a jumper wire between them. One wire may have a black tracer. Try to start the car.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The description mentions something about a key reader. Does your key have some type of security chip?

Maybe try clearing the codes and see if it comes back.

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I cleared it, it came back. The immobiliser reads the chip in the key and decided if the engine can start