Cold air intake 2006 TDI

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
AEM makes one, Carbonio too I think. Just know you are paying for the sound, there's little to no performance benefit with an otherwise stock setup.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
I would NOT drop money on a cai. They dont do anything on these cars. If you want more turbo noise and vnt blow off, install an open air intake and call it a day. Put the remaining $3xx into new injectors.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I would NOT drop money on a cai. They dont do anything on these cars. If you want more turbo noise and vnt blow off, install an open air intake and call it a day. Put the remaining $3xx into new injectors.
For his model-year (engine type) a tune would be first, then turbo/IC/exhaust, then injectors/nozzles.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Want to get an AFE intake for my 2006 TDI but im pretty sure they dont make one, anyone have any recommendations
Rain-Man-018,

Welcome to TDIclub! :cool:

What don't you like about the well designed ram-air CAI the car already came with from the FACTORY?

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
CAI will not give ytou any bang for your dollar SPEND your hartd earned cash on You will get MORE for your dollar with Injectors and or tune.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Have exhaust and stage 2 running 18 pounds boost with increased fuel intake would be good and afe doesnt make one for my year
Stock cai is to restrictive diesels need air the more the air the better
You have the stock turbo running [only] 18 PSI, you won't see any gains. LIMFAC isn't the airbox in that situation.

*Maybe* with a bigger turbo and 24 or more PSI there'd be some gains.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Stock cai is to restrictive diesels need air the more the air the better
Stock CAI is too restrictive? :confused: OK, based on what? :confused: How do you know it's restrictive in a TDI application? :confused:

The stock airbox and OEM paper filter setup is already way over-sized by design to way outflow the engine. It is similar in size to what full size diesel pickup trucks use. It was purposely designed this way to not be restrictive while providing the necessary filtering and have a 40k mile change interval. IOW, your TDI engine is incapable of outflowing the stock airbox and filter setup, no matter how hard you try!

I agree diesels need air and the more air the better. However your TDI engine is already getting way more air than it needs.

If you believe an aftermarket CAI will add power over the stock setup, please post results from back to back dyno runs made before and after swapping the airbox setup and the swap is the only change made between dyno runs made on the same day on the same dyno.

Good luck.

Last edited: