2014 jetta tdi limp mode

Justdub

TDI
14 jetta tdi
I have a 2014 jetta tdi with 30,000 miles on it. I recently installed the rawtek 3" turbo back exhaust narrowing it down to 2.5 at the rear axle. With this I did a stage 2 Malone tune. I am very impressed with the gain in power and love the mpg received by doing this. The problem I am having is between 110 and 120 mph my car loses all power and my "Diesel Engine Pre-Glow Before Engine Start-Up" (yellow squiggly line) light will flash... when this happens its a simple shut the car off turn it back on...back to normal operation. I contacted malone about it and they said possible overboost and to graph my boost deviation and they could fix the tune. Problem is I have to be running my computer while doing it and I don't go that fast often and usually don't have my computer when I do. Anybody else have any ideas on what could be causing it or some insight to the possible problem? Anything helps and thanks to anyone who replies.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
We can't really help you without knowing what code you are getting when it goes into limp mode. If you don't have a code reader, swing by AutoZone or someplace and have them check it. That will probably get you 99% of your answer.

Justdub

TDI
14 jetta tdi
I have 2 codes that I read on my tuner p0234 which states overboost and p2002 which states a dpf problem which im guessing would be a secondary code from the first code, givin I don't have a dpf

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Without data logging with VCDS there's not much that can be done to be honest, would just be shooting in the dark trying to band-aid a problem. There's nothing wrong with the tune to fix, but given some data logs of boost behavior we can detune the car a bit to reduce the over-boost.

Last edited:

Justdub

TDI
14 jetta tdi
Is it possible to give me some insight on what exactly I need to graph in the vcds...and why would it only happen around 120mph?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Boost request, boost actual, and actuator behavior, can go under "advanced measuring blocks" as well or I can send you a VCDS template via email. It's happening under heavier loads because they're heavier loads, odds are the vehicle is regularly overboosting but only badly enough to trip limp mode or codes under extreme use.

Feel free to email us, happy to help. You can also input your ECU part # (top left of a VCDS log, or under "engine") into the search on our log viewer http://log.malonetuning.com/search and that will show you measuring blocks and logs from similar vehicles.

Last edited: