Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

alexvtr

TDI
2014 TDI
I don't know if it's been mentioned before but anyways...
I got a call from my VW dealer telling me that as of now, I could turn in my leased TDI anytime (my lease ends in Dec. 2017) with no penalties / early termination fees.
Then, when the settlement is concluded, I'd receive the full amount due to leasees (in my case, close to 3000$).
This was not tied to getting another VW. As with any other lease, I'll have to get the usual inspection done but other than that, there was no catch.
The way I see this is that I now have 9 months to look out for great deals unlike usually when the contract ends, I have to essentially go with what's available.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Their interior is still behind most cars with the same budget and I found their seats to be quite terrible even in limited trim. Even the driver's side was just so flat that it felt like sitting in a bus or cargo van. Just cannot get the seat to point in the right angle.

On the other hand, the dealer I was dealing with, was quite open to go dealer's invoice + 5% (or something reasonable, which 5% in their situation really is).
I hear you on the seat thing and its something I'll consider very carefully. Love my VW seats and how they tip back your thighs into the bucket. Those flat or short fronted seats make your legs fall asleep especially if you already have lower back or hip issues (which I currently do). The first time I sat in a Crosstrek, I said NOPE....terrible flat seats. Some of the mid-high range Outbacks seem to have fixed this issue and offer a bit more comfort. I'll see how the test drive goes!

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
It really amazes me how many people are sticking around for more of VWs bad Karma after all they have put us through. VWs & Audis are off my list of replacement vehicles. I really wanted the Forester, but the CVT and oil consumption make this a non-starter for me.
I still love the low-end torque and fuel mileage of a diesel, so I think I will be holding out for a Mazda CX5 diesel, even though the dealer said availability will be Q4 2017 - Q1 2018.

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
Some interesting figures and news here:
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/vw-boss-says-firm-is-back-on-track-and.html

While speaking to the crowd, Mueller said that VW has fixed 4 million diesel vehicles found cheating emissions and that it is modifying about 200,000 customer vehicles per week. He said that the brand plans to complete all the diesel fixes by this fall.
AND
Muller also spoke briefly about FCA president Sergio Marchionne’s interest in creating a merger with VW

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I don't know if it's been mentioned before but anyways...
I got a call from my VW dealer telling me that as of now, I could turn in my leased TDI anytime (my lease ends in Dec. 2017) with no penalties / early termination fees.
Then, when the settlement is concluded, I'd receive the full amount due to leasees (in my case, close to 3000$).
This was not tied to getting another VW. As with any other lease, I'll have to get the usual inspection done but other than that, there was no catch.
The way I see this is that I now have 9 months to look out for great deals unlike usually when the contract ends, I have to essentially go with what's available.
Thanks for posting this info as I'm currently leasing my 15' Passat. However, I've heard no such thing . To the best of my knowledge , once the judge approves the settlement March 27 for Quebec & March 30 Ontario, VW will start rolling out info on his to register for a claim. Then I believe you would receive an appt date for your lease return inspection. Once it all checks out you'd receive your official return date and eventually get your restitution money ... Not sure if I left anything out. I would think that the early lease termination should be a much simpler process as opposed to buy back. Your dealer telling you, that you could return the car now seems a bit " fishy" to me. Just my 0.02...

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Your dealer telling you, that you could return the car now seems a bit " fishy" to me. Just my 0.02...
Agreed.
Just like a dealer a few weeks ago told me: "Order your car now (and place a down payment) because it may take weeks or months to get your car in once the buybacks start happening." Hah...okay.

KARKS

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon TDI 2012
I think all dealers will be busy as all this cash starts to hit the market and there will be some deals to be had at all locations. It would be interesting to know and see how trade in's happen around scheduled appointments and potential lack of VW stock/options.

I am enjoying my new vehicle and awaiting for the finalization at the end of march so I can participate in the buyback and get my money.

So many moving parts and considerations for everyone, including timing if you must have a vehicle and cannot do without.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
If any of you is planning to attend the hearing in Toronto in a couple of weeks, please note that the address of the hearing may have changed:

• The Ontario Superior Court of Justice will hold a Settlement approval hearing on March 31, 2017 in Toronto. The address of the hearing may change from 130 Queen Street West to 361 University Avenue.
Additional updates will be provided closer to the dates of the hearings, including confirmation of the address for the hearing in Toronto and the start time for both hearings. This information will be posted on this website and available by calling the Canadian Settlement Claims Centre at 1-888-670-4773.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Somewhere it was said ... yes you can. Easiest is to call an Audi dealer of your choice and ask.

I still somewhat think, that you'd be better off to get your cash from VW and then decide where you go with it. The trade-in in my view unnecessarily ties you in a direction you might find in the end troubling.
Thanks I thought maybe I had read that. The only thing if I take buyout at VW and buy somewhere else I lose out on the tax rebate of trade in... likely less than $800 but still....

alexvtr

TDI
2014 TDI
Agreed.
Just like a dealer a few weeks ago told me: "Order your car now (and place a down payment) because it may take weeks or months to get your car in once the buybacks start happening." Hah...okay.
I was surprised at first and had him repeat everything twice. BTW, the guy wasn't pushy at all, he was just following up on a discussion we had last time I met him during an oil change and chatted about he "scandal". I had to specifically ask him if they had any good deals currently running on any new VW and he basically told me "no"!

No strings attached. As long as the usual inspection is ok, I can drop the keys on the dealer's desk and walk home. No early termination fees, no adverse impact on my "scandal" money when it gets approved.

He told me they recently had a meeting with some big shots at VW regarding the scandal and the upcoming steps and that's when they got the green light to start this.

Last edited:

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Thanks I thought maybe I had read that. The only thing if I take buyout at VW and buy somewhere else I lose out on the tax rebate of trade in... likely less than $800 but still....
I think you do have to trade-in your car at the same dealer that you buy your new one to take advantage of the trade-in tax savings.

You need to talk to the claims line and ask. Can you take your VW TDI to an Audi dealer for a trade-in settlement?

If that doesn't work talk to a VW dealer and see if they can arrange for you to buy an Audi through them. Really don't know if they would do that but, hey, its worth asking about. You may not get a great deal that way because you will have two salesmen looking for commissions.

I don't know if there are any combined Audi/VW dealerships. That would be the ticket.

Let us know what you find out.

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I exchanged emails with our nearest Audi dealership about trading our 13 Jetta TDI for a new gas Q3 through the buyback program and they didn't raise any red flags. In fact, "don't wait, do it now." :cool:

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
I think you do have to trade-in your car at the same dealer that you buy your new one to take advantage of the trade-in tax savings.
You need to talk to the claims line and ask. Can you take your VW TDI to an Audi dealer for a trade-in settlement?
If that doesn't work talk to a VW dealer and see if they can arrange for you to buy an Audi through them. Really don't know if they would do that but, hey, its worth asking about. You may not get a great deal that way because you will have two salesmen looking for commissions.
I don't know if there are any combined Audi/VW dealerships. That would be the ticket.
Pfaff VW and Pfaff Audi in Newmarket(next door to each other), Ontario. They also own a Porsche dealership if you any change left over when you complete the buyback... Lol...

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
If any of you is planning to attend the hearing in Toronto in a couple of weeks, please note that the address of the hearing may have changed:

• The Ontario Superior Court of Justice will hold a Settlement approval hearing on March 31, 2017 in Toronto. The address of the hearing may change from 130 Queen Street West to 361 University Avenue.
Additional updates will be provided closer to the dates of the hearings, including confirmation of the address for the hearing in Toronto and the start time for both hearings. This information will be posted on this website and available by calling the Canadian Settlement Claims Centre at 1-888-670-4773.
I believe it's one and the same building, Osgoode Hall, always referred to as 361 University, I think there is a walkway off Queen st at York, through a small Park. Also accessible off University north of Queen on the East side.

DRfez

TDI
Golf
I am seriously considering leasing a 2017 Golf comfortline, we are a 2 car family for now, but expect to retire in 4 years, so I won't need a second car. So I will keep what I get from VW and payoff my Honda loan and put away the remainder. I looked at buying used or a lease take over. I also checked Canada Black Book and they value my 2012 Golf with 200K
Kms at $2200 to $4200. So the buy out is the best thing that could happen. I intended to keep my 2012 Golf to over 300K. Your thoughts please

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I think the best idea is to work with the calculator to determine when the best time to turn the vehicle in for buyback. For example, I believe we can drive our Jetta until program end (Sept 2018) without losing any money.

Unless there are some over-riding concerns (hpfp, dpf etc).

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I hear you on the seat thing and its something I'll consider very carefully. Love my VW seats and how they tip back your thighs into the bucket. Those flat or short fronted seats make your legs fall asleep especially if you already have lower back or hip issues (which I currently do). The first time I sat in a Crosstrek, I said NOPE....terrible flat seats. Some of the mid-high range Outbacks seem to have fixed this issue and offer a bit more comfort. I'll see how the test drive goes!
When I test drove many vehicles, I went from Forester to Volvo essentially one weekend ... it almost felt like a difference between my garage stool and expensive TV chair ....LOL ... I'd agree VW were decent somewhere in the middle.

And I don't have any hip related issues. The seats in Forester are just plain wrong design. Period.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
But don't underestimate the freedom you gain. Cash is still negotiating king. No strings attached, you are always in the driving seat ....

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I really wanted the Forester, but the CVT and oil consumption make this a non-starter for me.
Do your research, because unless you are talking buying a really old model, oil consumption is not an issue anymore. Their current engines are considered reliable by majority. Their CVT, while obviously still CVT by its nature, it's safe to say that it's one of the best or best on the market. If it wasn't, there's no way in hell they'd put it into their flagship WRX and STI units.

Do yourself a favor and test drive them as well.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI

I sent an email to Pfaff for a trade in on an Etron and the answer is yes:
"Yes we can complete the process here once the settlement has been put to an end. Yes you are still eligible to receive the grant from the government"

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
When I test drove many vehicles, I went from Forester to Volvo essentially one weekend ... it almost felt like a difference between my garage stool and expensive TV chair ....LOL ... I'd agree VW were decent somewhere in the middle.
And I don't have any hip related issues. The seats in Forester are just plain wrong design. Period.
I have a 2016 Forester and the seats were a concern before I purchased. After driving it for about a year I have to say they have not been a problem even on long drives. Definitely not a plus in comparison to other similar vehicles but not a show stopper.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Do your research, because unless you are talking buying a really old model, oil consumption is not an issue anymore. Their current engines are considered reliable by majority. Their CVT, while obviously still CVT by its nature, it's safe to say that it's one of the best or best on the market. If it wasn't, there's no way in hell they'd put it into their flagship WRX and STI units.

Do yourself a favor and test drive them as well.
The CVT in the WRX STI may not be the same as in your stock Subaru. The seats would certainly be better.

For seats, take a 4 or 5 hour drive to find out if the seats are good or bad. Commuting is not the same thing, but I guess you have to be happy with the comfort for whatever style of driving you do.

uchu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Highline - in VW's possession
The CVT in the WRX STI may not be the same as in your stock Subaru. The seats would certainly be better.

For seats, take a 4 or 5 hour drive to find out if the seats are good or bad. Commuting is not the same thing, but I guess you have to be happy with the comfort for whatever style of driving you do.

Yes, indeed. We do like road trips a lot. We've been to Halifax back and forth a couple of times already (from Toronto), and the comfort of the seats in our Passat is unreal. Plus plenty of space in the trunk for the bags.

And yes, two full tanks and a splash pretty much covered the 2,200 km each way. This is carrying a couple of tall teenagers (who keep growing like weeds) in the rear seats. And on top of that, it doesn't break the bank as a city commuter either.

That's why I don't really want to find a replacement just yet.

Motley

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Seats are very subjective. Kinda like saying that you found a pair of Levis to be too tight, so everyone should avoid buying Levis.

Personally I found the seats in the Passat to be too narrow. In comparison, the seats in my Accord are a full 25mm wider.

Baba O'Riley

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6-sp
I am seriously considering leasing a 2017 Golf comfortline, we are a 2 car family for now, but expect to retire in 4 years, so I won't need a second car. So I will keep what I get from VW and payoff my Honda loan and put away the remainder. I looked at buying used or a lease take over. I also checked Canada Black Book and they value my 2012 Golf with 200K
Kms at $2200 to $4200. So the buy out is the best thing that could happen. I intended to keep my 2012 Golf to over 300K. Your thoughts please
Same boat and same thoughts as you. 295,000k on our 2012 Golf TDI. Looking at 2017 Golf Comfortline, Golf wagon comfortline and Mazda 3 Hatch, all in manuals.

I posted previously regarding keeping an eye on the VW discounts. Last week (Mar 10), their online builder was showing $1750 discount on Golf Comfortline and $1000 discount on wagon.

Have you done your timing belt?

Lister

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Z4, 2007 Audi A3 RIP, 2013 Jetta Dirty Diesel, 2013 BMW 328i

From all of the variables that I am reading about regarding this process, I may just cut my losses and take the buyback, and go elsewhere.

I am not going to have a gun put to my head by a Dealer, because what if they don't have what I want in stock? I am not going to try and put a square peg in a round hole here. I think I will do what the song says "take the money and run."

Lister

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Z4, 2007 Audi A3 RIP, 2013 Jetta Dirty Diesel, 2013 BMW 328i
Wouldnt that go for any dealer of any car?
I'm talking about a used car though. Having to make an appointment and not knowing exactly what you're going to get doesn't appeal to me.

This whole process is souring me on the brand. I will save money from tax savings if I go with the same dealer, but that also limits my options, and my negotiating power(at least in my mind).

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I'm talking about a used car though. Having to make an appointment and not knowing exactly what you're going to get doesn't appeal to me.

This whole process is souring me on the brand. I will save money from tax savings if I go with the same dealer, but that also limits my options, and my negotiating power(at least in my mind).
I agree. It is nice to get some tax savings (though it'll be on whatever the FMV ends up being), but you're in a tough negotiating position, unless there is something specific they have that you do want.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI

Hey no problem I only buy what I want but I think there is a great value to the buyback if I can apply it to a PHEV as in Ontario it's somewhere between 8 and 14 thousand rebate on top of the $5100, FMV tax return and a reasonable buyback seems the way to go but I am not sold yet if I can't make the deal I want the money can sit in the bank until I want it or I may drive the TDi until 2018 which if no problems arise is the best value for money just don't know if the PHEV grant will still be around by then so as usual take the deal which mostly appeals to you.