Clock and trip meter reset, occasional stalling. 2004 BEW

calebc3

TDI
2004 Jetta
2004 jetta BEW. 240k+ miles. Clock and trip meter will reset occasionally while car is turned off. Battery is brand new, purchased from dealer. Terminals cleaned and tightened, grounds under battery cleaned and ground on transmission cleaned. Where are the other grounds I should look at? Or, could something else cause this.

I have also had a few other odd electrical things happen: rolling windows up and dash lights flickering, etc. Relay 109 was replaced recently. Seem to notice this when I am using a lot of electrical (lights, AC, etc.). Been meaning to check voltage at battery while vehicle is running to make sure alt is working properly even though it is newer.

Also, possibly related possibly not, I am getting occasional stalls, usually after driving for a while and coming to a stop (like getting off interstate and sitting at stop light). Has always started right back up. Found a thread that mentioned crank position sensor. Thought I would replace that unless it could be related to my other problems.

calebc3

TDI
2004 Jetta
problem got a little worse today. Died several times, at least once while driving. Wiggling wires at starter and a few bangs on the battery cover got it going again (was chasing a no start issue in the past when I would just get a click from starter and nothing else, doing what I just mentioned always got it going again and this led me to eventually replace battery).

I know my terminal connections are good. What else in that area could be causing this? I have checked starter connections in the past and cleaned and tightened everything.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Did you check under the cover, on top of the battery? There is a terminal block / fuses there. Might be worth while to check those connections over as well. Maybe one is loose or corroded?

calebc3

TDI
2004 Jetta
Ritsco - thank you, I have searched a lot and not found that thread. As far as I can tell there are lots of suggestions but no one surefire solution. Are you still experiencing the same problems?

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
After the ignition switch and the CCM replacement all has been good. Either the ghost grew to love me or she went elsewhere for fun.........perhaps to your car. I don't think the issue is caused by the same thing in everyones car. Looks to me like there a multitude of causes for these types of failures.

Good luck in hunting it down. It took me a while and I think I just got lucky.

calebc3

TDI
2004 Jetta
Threw a few fixes at the problem recently after reading about similar issues: replaced the alternator cable, fuse box on top of battery and crank position sensor. Things were good for a few hundred miles but I started getting a random ESP/ABS warning light and it died a few times today. It seems to only happen when the AC is on. Any chance a bad voltage regulator could be the problem? I measured voltage at battery with car running, AC on and AC off and #'s were very similar. Is it possible that while driving things are different? Any additional thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
What voltage did you get when the AC was on and when the AC was off?

If the charging system is in question it might be worth while to get one of those freebie checks done at AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts - keep in mind, they are free, but may help confirm one way or another.....

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Can't say about the electrical issues, but for the engine stalling, do a search for crankshaft position sensor. It's won't always throw a CEL, but engine stumble, or stalling could be a symptom. Been there, and done that.

calebc3

TDI
2004 Jetta
I think it was reading about 13.6 v both on and off.
Phaser - replaced crankshaft position sensor last week in an effort to fix.

Another thing it started to do again is that it will appear dead when I try to start after sitting: can be short period of time or overnight. Shows sign of a dead battery. Wiggling cables at the starter, terminals, fuse box has always gotten it to turn over and start. This is why I replaced alternator cable and battery fuse box. Has anyone experienced needing to replace the main battery cables as well?

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.

calebc3

TDI
2004 Jetta
Still struggling with this. Stalling only seems to happen if the AC is on, and then it is still random.
I have also noticed that auto up function on the drivers side window often doesn't work properly. Window will go most of the way up, stop and then go most of the way down. I then have to hold the switch for it to go all the way up. Search has pointed me to a possible CCM issue. Could that have anything to do with the stalling as well?