New thermostat/temp sensor needed?

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
It's -20C and colder here for the last 2 days and I've really started to notice my that my Golf struggles to maintain it's temperature.

I know the needle is nowhere near accurate but if I let the engine get to heat while I drive with the dial all the way to cold, once I turn it to heat the gauge will drop with a fan speed higher than 1. At lights the gauge drops and if I leave the car running while sitting for a bit it will go to about half-way to running temp. The heat doesn't blow that how either.

I've heard that this issue is more related to the thermostat rather than the coolant sensor.

Thank you :)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
It could well be. My thermostat was opening at 80 degrees C and after replacement, the coolant registered 89.1 degrees C, as determined by logging coolant temperature for a 40 minute higway drive, using my VCDS and a laptop before and after thermostat change. The coolant temperature sensor was believed to be accurate since it was a VW one and about two years old.

You may also want to block the front grills. That may help. But at the temperature you mention (-4 degrees F), what you describe probably is normal. Coldest I have driven mine is at about 15 degrees F. and when the car as new, the temperature gauge would fall when I began driving slow in 15 degree weather.

--Nate