Very loud whine after WOT run - turbo?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Folks -

This is a new problem, and deserves a different title/thread, since it may be of use to someone else...

I did a WOT run in third gear from 25 mph full throttle to do some logging. Almost immediately after, maybe a minute, I started getting a very very loud whine coming from the motor.

Symptoms: loud whine which goes by RPM only, not speed related. When idling at a standstill, push in clutch, rev the motor, whine gets louder by engine RPM. At idle hardly any whine at all. By 1500 RPMS, getting very loud, 2000 RPMs is about the max I dare to go.

What's been done:

Using a shovel on the accelerator, at only 1500 RPMs, whine is so loud I dare not go higher in the RPM range.

When listening from under the car, FMJ removed, can't hear it much at all.
From engine compartment, very very loud.

Removed sepertine belt, whine still is there. So can't be alternator, or those pulleys.

Removed top timing belt cover, whine remains.

Removed hot side hose, and looked for metal shavings. Didn't see anything obvious, but I swear the little 3" extension hose that goes to the intercooler did have little things fall out. Happened so fast I can't be sure.

Removed inlet hose (cool side). Here's a pic:

Here's a pic of oil in the intake tube, meaning after I removed the intake that was the end of it, which goes into the cold side of the turbo. Not sure if normal:

Any suggestions most appreciated. It's a VNT17 from Aaron, almost new.

Jud.

Last edited:

Momentslater

TDI
2003 Jetta 535k km
Have you checked the vacuum pump? My first thought was power steering pump but youve already ruled that out (Powerstroke still stuck in my head).

If you create a huge exhaust leak (removing EGR block off plate) does the whine not increase very well with rpm?

If it's not the vacuum pump or turbo my only other guess would be the water pump or oil pump.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Check the timing belt for damage and also to see if it rides centered on the pulleys. I had a tensioner fail, which caused the timing belt to go off center and rub. Luckily, I caught it before the belt snapped.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Stethoscope.

Did you check axial play on the turbo?

How new is this turbo? Sometimes DOAs happen. Also, did you prime the turbo (oil feed line) when you installed it?

Follow your ears.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
The day I posted this I cupped my ear and though it was injection pump whine, but it wasn’t, and also pulled off upper cover and checked timing belt - which was fine and not rubbing at all.

Getting it towed to my mechanic today.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The picture shows a lot of galling on the compressor wheel blades, like it sucked in some dirt or something. You will have to wait to get an official diagnosis from Aaron.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Oh one more thing: during the diagnosis phase Brandon had me pull the intake and boost tube off the turbo and start her up and run her briefly to make sure it was turbo. Sure enough no sound.

Ordered up new VNT-17 from ID Parts today. Mechanic couldn’t source one via his supplier. So it will be later next week before she’s back together.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
The picture shows a lot of galling on the compressor wheel blades, like it sucked in some dirt or something. You will have to wait to get an official diagnosis from Aaron.
Yeah, after closer inspection (I just glanced at the picture) if this is new turbo there's some wear happening that one shouldn't be seeing. Just under the nut (about the 2 o'clock position) it looks like the wheel's collar has a chip? Looked at pictures of the turbo in my blue Golf and it looks better and it's got over 200k miles on it.