Subwoofer

Bigmikie

Please fill me in. I would like to add an amp and Sub to the exsisting Monsoon sys. Is it possable? Are there RCA's on the stock deck? I think a few 12's would really help it out. Let's hear what you all did?

deezeljuice

Veteran Member
I have a Kicker 10" sub in my trunk, with a monsoon system. I don't know if there are RCA's on the head unit, yes, that is definitely the proper way to do it. I spliced into the downstream side of the amp, and went to RCA's with a line converter. I have a MTX Thunder 275 watt amp driving the sub. As far as the sound quality, I would say the sub enhances the monsoon system superbly. The good thing is all this can be done relatively inexpensively, say 250 to 300$. If you like the monsoon, do this, you'll love it.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Don't think there are RCAs on the stock deck, but you'd do well to replace it anyway. I swapped mine with an Alpine CD deck and the sound was much improved. Adding a sub was just icing on the cake.

BTW the monsoon amp uses speaker-level inputs, not line-level so if you swap the deck you'll be driving the monsoon from your amplified outputs.

[the unit]

Veteran Member
TDI
sold - 2002 Jetta TDI
The stock deck doesn't have RCA outputs. The stock Monsoon speakers and amplifier are very nice, but the deck needs improvement. You will do well to replace it with a higher quality aftermarket unit.

I feel like I'm having some sort of flashback, didn't someone just ask this recently?

Anyhow, a new head unit and a subwoofer will definitely net you a MASSIVE sound quality improvement. I had a 12" MTX in my last Jetta with a 330 watt Precision Power amp, and it will eventually make it's way into the TDI.

-Rob

2000jetta TDI

why are people wasting money on the monsoon, just to tear it out anyways????
just get the basic stereo, tear out the head unit, tear out the mids and tweets,
add a nice after market head unit, any after market components will be an upgrade over stock speakers, and an amp or two, maybe a sub,
i use only one 10" eclipse sub, more than enough kick!!!!!

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2000jetta TDI:
why are people wasting money on the monsoon, just to tear it out anyways????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because it came in the car.

The Monsoon speakers and amp are pretty good. I added the aftermarket deck, amp and sub from my old car and had a big improvement over the Monsoon system for $0 plus install.