Subwoofer suggestions

HangingShoe57

TDI
Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI

My car is small, so I won't need a massive amount of subwoofer to make my head explode. I was thinking either one 15" kicker(of any kind), or one 12" kicker solo baric (strictly). Do you guys and gals have any experience with these speakers in this vehicle or other vehicles like it? It would be very appreciated if you did. Also, if you think I'm way in the wrong, go ahead and point me in the right direction.

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
I would recommend one 10" JL Audio W3v3 sub. They offer several variations of Ohm resistance.

Select an amp (such as JL Audio XD600/1 or Slash 500/1v2) to power the sub.

Mount it on the left side of the trunk, recessed into the cavity where the CD changer would normally mount. Composite construction recommended.

This combo will truly set the stage for a great system!!

HangingShoe57

TDI
Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI
This reminds me. I still have the POS stock stereo system. Any suggestions in that department? Don't make my wallet cry, please.

qmark

Veteran Member
TDI
03 VW Golf
get a used JL stealth box and put a new nicer JL sub in it.....i did and love the set-up and sounds great........u will find one over at vortex classifieds...

Milage King

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TD tuned
I have a infinty bass link. Its a double 10, fully adjustable, and its on the left side in the rear of the trunk, doesn't take up much room but hits very good.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I just picked up a small JL 10w6v2 in a roughly .7 ft^3 box. Hopefully I can get my amps wired and installed this weekend (JL HD series). Maybe I'll have some nice sound :) Oh, and I think a single 15" is a little overkill. You can get a decent single 12" molded into the passenger side of the trunk wall in the Jetta's. That way you lose very little space but still get that nice deep bass.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
When I was building my audio system I decided to go with 2 Rockford Fozgate (spelling?) 12" speaker and I really wish I would have gone with 10". While I can shake the car next to me, even more so with really low notes, I was not looking for that result. 10's will do great and have more clarity in the normal bas range. Most important factor would be the type of music you listen to. If you wear your baseball cap cocked 45 degrees off center, people can see the top 6 inches of your underwear, and you could fit a midget in the seat of your baggy pants, go with the 12's.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I have a Kicker L7 12" Solobaric and I built the box ~ 1 ft^3. I can go as low as .8 ft^3. It sounds great as long as you power it with a good amp.

FYI, I used the stock head unit for a few years. See link below on how to do it.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=202619&highlight=subwoofer

If you're looking for a better head unit, I bought this Pioneer - DEH-6200BT. It has a lot of bells and whistles that I wanted - Bluetooth, iPod, Satellite and HD Radio ready... along with close to OEM feel. It's the best $200 I spent!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Where do you run your power lead from that runs your sub woofer amp? Straight from the battery? How do you get it into the trunk? Through the firewall or under the car? My kid wants me to put one in her Passat TDI.

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Large gauge power wire from Battery, Fuse no more then 18inches from the battery, through the firewall, under the carpet, to the trunk, to the B+ terminal on the amp. Ground cable the the - terminal to any good chassis ground. The shorter the better. Keep the fuse out until everything else is hooked up.

For subs, there are so many good options its hard name one. Ive had a few set ups. I had a 15inch Rockford Fosgate HX2, I had a single 8inch kicker Comp, and I am currently running 2 10inch Rockford P1s. My favorite was the 15 inch. But its a little exsessive. The 8inch sounded great but couldnt get low enough frequency for my taste. So far the 10s are ok. Wouldnt mind upgrading to a ported box.

Oh and keep the box in mind. It can make or break a sub.

Last edited:

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
Here's a pic of my setup in the wagon. Box hasn't been covered yet, so it still looks a little homemade. Its black, the sun makes it look grey. The box is easily removable for hauling.

(2) JL 10W6 (original series)
JL 250/1v2 (sub amp 250x1)
JL 450/4v2 (mids/highs amp, 150x2+75x2)
Eclipse 5303R + indash 6 disc changer
Polk MM6501 components in all the doors
1 little glass jar of cotton ballls to blot the blood coming out your ears :D

You can get some nicely featured decks for ~$200. Pioneer, obviously, and Alpine makes one in the price point too. I've had a newer $200 Alpine and it was very nice. You can get so much more now for your $.

Last edited:

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
How do you like your Polk MM6501 ??

Here's a pic of my setup in the wagon. Box hasn't been covered yet, so it still looks a little homemade. Its black, the sun makes it look grey. The box is easily removable for hauling.

(2) JL 10W6 (original series)
JL 250/1v2 (sub amp 250x1)
JL 450/4v2 (mids/highs amp, 150x2+75x2)
Eclipse 5303R + indash 6 disc changer
Polk MM6501 components in all the doors
1 little glass jar of cotton ballls to blot the blood coming out your ears :D

You can get some nicely featured decks for ~$200. Pioneer, obviously, and Alpine makes one in the price point too. I've had a newer $200 Alpine and it was very nice. You can get so much more now for your $.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Second the notions for only one 10" sub. There is no need for anything more, unless you really do like being that guy who wakes people up at night, annoys everyone else on the road or in their houses, and wants to make your body parts and trim rattle as loud as the bass hits. I.E. obnoxious. A kicker 15" sub definitely has the capability to make your head explode; not to mention sounding like crap for anything musical.

I had one Image Dynamics ID10 V2 in a small sealed box and hit nice and low, often impressing folks. Took up very little trunk space, and easily removable as well. Thought I had a pic stored online, can't find it now though. Eventually pulled it to save weight; I'm too old and lame for deep bass now anyway. (p.s. it is for sale and will have a classified ad soon).

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
How do you like your Polk MM6501 ??
For what I paid, ~$180 a pair, I'm pretty happy. Personally, I like Focal tweeters the most of what I've heard, but they are much more expensive. The Polks dont have a lot of bass, so I'd pair them with a sub for sure. I have a lot power behind them, 150x2, and they are pretty clean and clear. I've run them with 75x2 as well, and they were just as clear. Compared to the Focal KPX 5" mids I have in a box, the magnets on the Polks are tiny. They seem to do OK with it though. Switch the crossover to -3db on the tweeter for sure.

Last edited:

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 Tdi, RIP 2003 Jetta GLS 5sp
one or both of the two output transistors usually go if unit is over cranked. Easy to replace if you know how to solder.

xDieselxTunerx

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL, 2010 BMW 335d, 2014 BMW 535d
get a used JL stealth box and put a new nicer JL sub in it.....i did and love the set-up and sounds great........u will find one over at vortex classifieds...
I have been searching for one for months. They are getting harder and harder to come by :mad:

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
I picked up a used JL Audio 8" sub (8W1v2-4) and started to build an enclosure where the CD changer was.
There will be some unusual cuts to make. Hope I can get the internal volume right on the sealed box., it only needs .375 cu.ft., but there is not a lot of space there.
Now I have to find a used bridgeable 2 channel or mono amp.
Found a used Kicker 300.2 now to get the box built.

Last edited:

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
I was using a basslink but removed it for more space, This will be my setup and will probly be a 3 or 4 month project...

Pioneer P750MP headunit, already installed.
Kicker 11ZX350.4 AB Amp, 60w 4channel, 350w peak
Pioneer TS-D601P 6.5" 2-Way Speakers RMS is 60w, 260w peak
DEI - Directed Audio D600 Class D mono, RMS 200w, 600w peak
Pioneer Premier TS-SW1041D 10" shallow sub, RMS 250w, 1000w peak

I have a 4 gauge wiring kit coming in and am planning on running it to a small distribution block then 8 gauge power wires/60amp fuses to the amps. The speaker wires will be 12gauge. Everything will be under the "false floor" which will be built above the rear spare tire. (and be easily flipped up on a hinge to gain access to the spare.)

myselfnjit

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I was using a basslink but removed it for more space, This will be my setup and will probly be a 3 or 4 month project...

Pioneer P750MP headunit, already installed.
Kicker 11ZX350.4 AB Amp, 60w 4channel, 350w peak
Pioneer TS-D601P 6.5" 2-Way Speakers RMS is 60w, 260w peak
DEI - Directed Audio D600 Class D mono, RMS 200w, 600w peak
Pioneer Premier TS-SW1041D 10" shallow sub, RMS 250w, 1000w peak

I have a 4 gauge wiring kit coming in and am planning on running it to a small distribution block then 8 gauge power wires/60amp fuses to the amps. The speaker wires will be 12gauge. Everything will be under the "false floor" which will be built above the rear spare tire. (and be easily flipped up on a hinge to gain access to the spare.)
Ill be waiting on pics and a how to =). been wanting to add an inconspicuous sub to my wagon.

Last edited:

Jethro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9
I have always run full 'systems' in every truck I've owned. I get the feeling my Ex Cab Ram has the same basic internal air space as my Jetta.

I'd guess a single 10" solobaric would be more than enough. The key is to have PLENTY of power to it. JL W7's are also epic subs, again, VERY power hungry (and HUGE).

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I have a Kenwood 12 in. sealed box right now and it does a decent job but what I want to save space is a MTX Thunderform with the special OEM MTX 4500 speaker that has been modified to a lower Ohm rating for this Jetta Box. Problem is finding a decent price. Most of the cheaper one sold on Ebay and other discount shops but the Thunderform and stick a normal T4500 in it and it does not sound as good as the one MTX made just for this Form. That one or get someone to make me a form that will fit where the old CD changer used to fit. That would be the best way.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Got the 8" sub built into the area where the 6CD changer goes, sound good to me. I am now limiting the frequencies to the component speakers and the mids are much cleaner.
The sub just fills in the botom nicely, not earth shaking but that wasn't what I wanted anyway.
Thanks to my friend Fryman for helping with his cabinetry skills.