GD e-brake cable - snapped

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
OK, what's the skinny on e-brakes giving up the ghost?

Pulled on it this afternoon, it suddenly felt a bit too loose - hit the clutch and rolled back nicely.

E-brake id toast.

Is there a common problem point here?

pozi240

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Galatic Blue
Yeah, buy cables, go to garage, have mechanic install said cables, pay bill. Gee, should be pretty self-explanatory there Duane. :D Hehehehe.

But seriously, its not a big job (kind of a pain, but not hard), and luckily, the cables are pretty cheap.

Diesel4me

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/2000/Black
I had to change one of mine, it snapped at the led ball where it connects to the brake assembly near the wheel. It was fairly cheap (<$20) for a jobber part and a bit of a pain in the a$$ to change. The hard part was dismantling the brake lever cover. To do this you have to remove the arm rest and some other plastics which I had a hard time fitting back into place after. This is definatly not a job you want to do on a fridged night, buy the cable and wait for a nice day.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Diesel4me said:
...buy the cable and wait for a nice day.
If only it were that easy - I work days, and have no garage. Plus, my inspection is due, yep, at the end of Feb. Naturally.

Might be a hand-off to the dealership along with soem other work if I can get the timing to towrk out right - we'll see.

Might also be something to try at a GTG in February - maybe...