R & R EGR Cooler

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Practically have egr cooler removed except for one bolt. If looking at cooler in the installed position there are three allen bolts say at 12, 3, and 9 o'clock.
The bolt 3 o'clock by turbo vacuum hose to vacuum canister is blocked by canister. How to remove? Thanks in advance.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
Take the vacuum canister loose, 2 bolts, then you can slide it over just enough to get the bolt off.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Thank you for your reply. That is a difficulty I am having with the two 10 mm nuts under the actuator canister. The difficulty is they are rusted/seized and I hit them with PB blaster so far to no avail. Also they are hard o access. Hoping for magic solution. Probably is none. More PB. Thanks again.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sometimes you can get that Allen bolt past the VNT actuator, sometimes it is just too tight.

You can however loosen/remove the intake manifold bolts and lift the manfold out with the EGR cooler still attached.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for your reply. As I continued to try different approaches, I was finally able remove the bolt over top of the actuator. As I loosened it I felt less resistance than I expected, but it was tight. Just glad it is out. Thanks to all.