2006 Jetta tdi - rear brakes

joyrde

TDI
2006 Jetta - 5-speed
We have had our Jetta, 5-speed, tdi since new, The Jetta currently has 174k on it, Before I retired my drive was 110 miles RT mostly Interstate. Now we live in the country, Every drive is country roads; usually 25 miles RT.

In the years and over the miles. I have replaced the front brakes twice - at 75k and and 160k. I just replaced the rear brakes for the fourth time. We usually get around 43k out the rears!?!?!

The brakes are worn evenly, the rotors look fine. The caliper pistons screw in as they should. The car rolls easily. If I run 70 mph (indicated) actually about 66 mph, the Jetta will get 46 mpg.

As an ASE Master Tech, my experience has always been the front brakes usually wear 2X times faster than the rear.

Please share any experience or thoughts you wish.

Thanks - - great forum!!!!

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I have had the same experience, have changed the rears about twice as often on the 2005.5 Jetta I used to have. I am also used to the fronts wearing out faster due to the weight of the car shifting towards the front when we apply the brakes. Was in the VW shop last summer and they told me that the Jettas were designed so that the rear brakes doo more of the work than the front so when we brake on ice, the rears act like an anchor and help keep the car straight rather than the fronts doing most of the work and possibly. Did he have any idea what he was talking about, who knows. But again I have changed the rear brakes quite a bit more than the fronts.

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
wow ... I'm at 206K ... (original owner) original front pads and have replaced the rear ones once.

y'all do know you don't mash on the pedals simultaneously, right? :p

(100 mile one-way trip to work ... 2 traffic lights in that 100 miles ... and managing energy of a moving machine is fundamental to my job)