2004 Jetta leg room

erslah

TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI wagon
Greetings all,

I'm looking at the possibility of buying a new Jetta TDI wagon in 5 months or so. While learning about falling windows (fixed by now, I gather) and cupholder complaints (also soon to be history, apparently), I could swear I saw a usenet message which said basically that the amount of rear leg room in the Jetta will be "fixed for 2004," which I take to mean it will be increased. Now I can't find that thread. Does anyone know anything about this? If I'm not imagining this, does it mean VW will decrease the cargo area and move the rear seat back or will they make the car longer?

Also, when are the 2004 models expected to appear? Where would I go to find out about the expected changes in the new model, the VW site?

Thanks in advance.

--Eric S.

P.S. I posted this message on rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, but the responses were more geared towards the possible exterior design of the Mk5 Jetta. I'm really more curious about the interior of the current model, specifically the leg room issue. My membership to this forum was just approved, so I thought I'd see what you folks knew as well.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
If you have the Jetta (Bora) in France in 2004, the only way you will get more rear leg-room is IF this Jetta is the future 5th generation model. I do not know exactly when it will be available in Europe; only that it will be available before we can get it in North America. My understanding is that the new Touran will be available first, followed later by the Golf and Jetta.
In North America, our Jettas in 2004 will certainly be the current generation, with no change to rear leg-room.

erslah

TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI wagon
Thanks for clearing that up for me -- I won't put off getting the car in hopes of more leg room.

BTW, I'm currently in France, but I may be moving back to the States in a few months, so I'd be getting the US model.

Tried and tried to figure out how to get one of these great diesel Passats I see everywhere here in France and ship it to the US, but of course that ain't gonna happen. Sigh. At least we've got the Jetta.

--Eric S.

southtdi

Veteran Member
If you wait until fall you will be able to buy a Passat diesel here in the states. I think it's only going to get the 130pd engine in it though, not the 150.

erslah

TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI wagon
I heard this yesterday as well and am thrilled.

Any idea how this usually works? Is availability low and price high at first and then the situation improves as the months go by?

--Eric S.