Getting frustrated!!!

zindude

TDI
2004 Passat TDI Wagon BS upgrade, EVO skid plate, Koni FSD, Blue euro mirrors, Rocketchip 1+, Euro headlight switch, convience blinker kit(not installed.) 88K
Hello-

I have been having an overboost situation infrequently with my b5.5 for a little over a year. Decided to replace the turbo. After turbo replaced, overboost became MORE frequent. My mechanic than replaced the "turbo pressure sensor" and the car continued to fall into limp mode. Took the car to a different mechanic and the code now reads underboost! This guy claims that the overboost condition led to damaging the intercooler which is now causing an underboost situation. Has anyone ever had a scenario like this occur? I thought that limp mode was to protect the car? He wants $700 to replace the intercooler. says the part is $360. Does any of this make sense? ANY OPINIONS would be very helpful. Thanks.

zindude

TDI
2004 Passat TDI Wagon BS upgrade, EVO skid plate, Koni FSD, Blue euro mirrors, Rocketchip 1+, Euro headlight switch, convience blinker kit(not installed.) 88K
I do not have the codes unfortunately, the mechanic does. He claims to have checked all systems and hoses. I am at a loss. Plus, the front brakes are shot after only 30K. USED to love this car!

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
05' Passat GLS 95' Merc E300D
If the intercooler is the same as the 1.8T, there should be plenty of them at the pick and pulls.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Pm Matt98AHU on here, he's in your area I believe and would be much more reasonable on pricing and proper diagnosis.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the intercooler is split open, it would certainly cause a boost leak, and then an underboost + limp mode.

I've seen a couple of these crack on modded BHWs. They are also in a spot where they can be easily tooefed by a parking curb, too.

Not too hard to replace, bumper cover has to come off. I'd say the labor time is maybe 1.5hr at the most.

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Did you replace the MAF sensor? Mine was throwing an overboost code when under full throttle acceleration. When I unplugged the MAF it ran perfect. So I got a new MAF and everything was good.