"Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I've seen those in lkq.
My guess would be that he won't tune it, is because it's a liability.
Someone could try to blame a dusted turbo on him, when it reality it's from say a k & n. (Just an example)
Or, with how none really outflow the OEM filter, it could cause big problems with a tune. Ie: high egts, smoke, etc.
Just my take on it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

crashncowgirl

TDI
2014 sportwagon tdi
$.02

read somewhere, and I forget where, not in these forums, I don't think, the stock air filter in jettas et al flow more air than a k&n. just too old and feeble minded to remember where that was
also I see at least one complaint that the oils used in the k&n type filters screw up the mas air flow sensor [maybe being an idiot with re-oiling it contributed]. true or not I don't know just reporting.

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
$.02

read somewhere, and I forget where, not in these forums, I don't think, the stock air filter in jettas et al flow more air than a k&n. just too old and feeble minded to remember where that was
also I see at least one complaint that the oils used in the k&n type filters screw up the mas air flow sensor [maybe being an idiot with re-oiling it contributed]. true or not I don't know just reporting.
It's all true. Lol
And k&n's don't filter very well, until they're dirty.
Any oiled filter can and will mess with intake sensors.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Ahhh, yes. The benefits of these ill-engineered, ill-manufactured miracle "filters" are essentially boundless:

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
$.02

That is why you buy a dry AFE filter same similar to K@N except no oil and wash with soap and water.:)

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
AEM too. And Injen now also.
The Injen one did not work out and actually dropped 5HP, if they are selling it now look out because it failed during my testing.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
The Injen one did not work out and actually dropped 5HP, if they are selling it now look out because it failed during my testing.
Which product number? They've been selling 'em for about 3 years now.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
Which product number? They've been selling 'em for about 3 years now.
All the ones that fit on the MK4 as I worked on that project with them and they did not inspect the power band of the test car. So the performance numbers were crap. I believe there were 3 styles chrome, black, and Red tubes with cones that hid behind the left front fender.

Tried to stick me with 12 of them, but I got my money back, when I showed them my dyno results. Never trust them again to start a project with, glad I did not release them before I had the final test results.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
All the ones that fit on the MK4 as I worked on that project with them and they did not inspect the power band of the test car. So the performance numbers were crap. I believe there were 3 styles chrome, black, and Red tubes with cones that hid behind the left front fender.

Tried to stick me with 12 of them, but I got my money back, when I showed them my dyno results. Never trust them again to start a project with, glad I did not release them before I had the final test results.
Ah sorry, I was talking about AEM and Injen synthetic media filters only.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
AEM too. And Injen now also.
HKS has the super mega flow and Greddy has the Airinx dry filters as well. I have an Injen intake pipe with the Greddy filter in my MK6 and just clean it with soap and water every oil change. I will be getting the HKS filter for my 1Z once its built, just for aesthetic purposes.

martiniwg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M - 2015 Golf 6M
So if I understand, the best thing to do with a CR2.0 is to keep stock intake with a dry filter with snow/cold prefilter (in Canada) ?

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
The amount of engine compartment room you gain by $hit-canning the oem airbox and battery box, priceless.....

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
The amount of engine compartment room you gain by $hit-canning the oem airbox and battery box, priceless.....
Yeah but that room is useless. What are you going to use it for? You want more room? Rip the EGR cooler out, that's useful.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
What's an EGR Cooler?
Extra room can be used for a bypass oil filter, catch can, smuggling small illegal aliens. etc...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Catch can ? Do you have a specific model on mind ?

Thanks!
Another solution looking for a problem..........

People do some stupid things to their cars that have zero benefit. On a TDI, the intake will be somewhat oily. completely normal.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Another solution looking for a problem..........

People do some stupid things to their cars that have zero benefit. On a TDI, the intake will be somewhat oily. completely normal.
Made that observation while looking through those blue tint aspherical mirrors did you?

VWdrummer

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi Wagon
Ok I'm a believer. CAI are useless on MK4 TDI's

So I was tired of having the boy racer woosh from my CAI and decided enough is enough. I put my OEM intake/ filter back in (with a new filter of course) and wouldn't you know it, the car runs great. I have had the CAI on the car for about 3 years and I though it was making my turbo spool faster and making my intake air stream cooler. Well, I was wrong my Scanguage tells me that even if I drive the car hard for an hour my IAT is about 5 degrees above ambient, where my "CAI" would be about 20 degrees above ambient. The Germans have figured this one out leave it alone. However the pipe going from the air box to the turbo can be replaced and make your turbo spool very quick. Maybe that is where the restriction was all along.

VWdrummer

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi Wagon
Omi

I have the most recent version of the KERMA OMI the difference is there. The turbo seems to spool quicker and the sound it makes at full throttle is awesome.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
I have the most recent version of the KERMA OMI the difference is there. The turbo seems to spool quicker and the sound it makes at full throttle is awesome.
Did it help reduce smoke out the exhaust? If you don't mind, may I see a picture of the intake installed?

octy900

TDI
Mk1 Octavia tdi 110 (ASV)2002
nothing wrong whatsoever with k&n. had them for years and not any worse than stock ones for debri etc.my intake was very clean.turbo blades all ok

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
nothing wrong whatsoever with k&n. had them for years and not any worse than stock ones for debri etc.my intake was very clean.turbo blades all ok
That may be your experience, but test data and real-world results indicate otherwise.

VWdrummer

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi Wagon
Kerma omi

Someone asked to see my OMI so here is a pic. there are many other mods present.

Last edited:

TDIatomic

TDI
2009 Jetta 2.0L
2009 TDI Jetta 2.0L

Anyone have recommendations for a cold air intake for the 2.0L TDI, I have been looking around and found that aFE sells a intake for the 2009 tdi jetta but I am not familiar with them and am not sure if its worth the money.