45 cetane in central Virginia

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hy i64w2gohome, was that your car I saw in a side lot at RIC airport today? If so, nice... they look gorgeous in black ;)
Thank you - it probably was. I mostly park in the admin lot, but will rotate around to other facilities from time to time.

As my first black car, I'm seeing firsthand how much more work it is to keep them looking sharp.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GTDI (sold), 12 GTI, 98 M3/4, 95 M3
This one was in a little lot between the main building and the rental car deck @ mid-afternoon today.

Black does look awesome when it's clean. And my silver aka "eurobeige" looks equally mediocre whether it's clean or dirty :D

Anyway, not to get too far off topic, just seeing if that was you!

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Filled up at the Goochland Shell this morning. Price now $2.999. Given how rare "premium" diesel (45 cetane at this station) is around here, no complaints from me.

While fueling, a duelly with an "occupied" livestock carrier filled up on the other side. Moo!

Digital4n6

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi A8L TDI
good to know about the country shell one for trips out west. been filling up at mr. fuel at exit 104 off I-95 for northern routes.

carwasher

TDI
05 wagon 5 sp gls leather, slate blue
A couple of hundred yards east of the country store Shell is an Exxon with a diesel pump sporting a weathered 47 cetane sticker. I've never seen anyone filling up here and have not verified if the nozzles are the smaller ones for cars. Price today was $3.05.
I have no problem with the big nozzles w/ my wagon- (ventectomy)

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
So, $2.899 with Kroger card? ;) Not only better fuel than what I can find down here in the city proper, but cheaper too! :D Heading out there today or tomorrow...

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
So, $2.899 with Kroger card? ;) Not only better fuel than what I can find down here in the city proper, but cheaper too! :D Heading out there today or tomorrow...
Enjoy the ride to the country. I don't spend enough at Kroger, apparently, to get the discount. I don't have the swipe card, just the keyring mini. Punching the numbers in hasn't worked for me.

Last edited:

qmark

Veteran Member
TDI
03 VW Golf
aaaaaaalso....when i was watching the display whilst re-fueling. there was a notice about if you buy more than 45 gal. per month there is another discount through Shell on tha deezul fuel....????? some kind of fuel mgt system.....idk if i get that much a month

Digital4n6

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi A8L TDI
i use the pentagon federal credit union platinum rewards card. full 5% cash back on fuel (applied to monthly balance, no waiting for rebate checks) if you pay at the pump. 3% on groceries and 1.25% on everything else.

Saved over $100 last month alone...

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't spend enough at Kroger, apparently, to get the discount.
Interestingly the Kroger discount worked fine for diesel at Country Store Shell today, but didn't work for gas at the Shell by Broad & Staples Mill, despite signs out in front of the place advertising it. :(

TDI Hoo

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (Bought back by VW)
Bought my first tank of B5 biodiesel from Woodfin Watchcard on Pouncey Tract RD a week ago. Drove 375 miles each way to northern NJ. I averaged 68 mph up and back and got 43.5 mpg on the way up (against the wind--HA!) and then 44.5 mpg coming south (with the wind) until I filled up again with Sunoco. (Those numbers are from MFD display. Actual mpg calculated was 43.2. I was doing NJ Turnpike speeds for a lot of that) Wow! Thank goodness for EZ Pass.

Got the Watchcard bill and the B5 last weekend was $2.99. Not too shabby. Watchcard sometimes sends me an email with their prices.

Saw a Michigan tagged Chevy Volt on the NJ T-Pike. Thing of beauty. Passed me doing at least 90 mph. No chance to snap a picture.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
If by chance you (or anyone else) might be interested in doing a good deed, I'd sure like to fill my car up with the Watchcard goodness sometime in the next few months. I'd happily meet you there at your convenience, pay you cash on the spot, and make it worth your time however you wish. Looks like it makes sense with the B5 benefits, and fair pricing, and the fact that I live within ~3 miles of two of their stations. I just want to try it before I commit to an account. My email to Woodfin asking if I could do such a thing was ignored :-/

Last edited:

qmark

Veteran Member
TDI
03 VW Golf
to funny i wanted to ask the same thing....i just don't do CC cards or apply for them anymore.....but B5 is the **** for these cars......usually drove up to see dieseldave in fredericksburg but they discontinued the B5 there....... :( gtg for fill up!!!

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Price per gallon tonight was $2.989. Prior to fueling, was concerned that I'd get caught up in Thanksgiving price bumps. Happily not the case.

Dieselson

TDI
86 Jetta
BP - Lsf5 Cavalier Investments

2404 Fontaine Avenue, Charlottesville, VA 22901 (434) 296-3790 ‎ just off 29N and 64, past the Ray C Hunt/ UVA complex has 47 as of phone call today.

Last edited:

Dieselson

TDI
86 Jetta
BP sells 40 or 47, which is it? ;)
Sorry, lol. Newbie here! It is 47 because the local owned station down in the 'Ham (free pig with every fillup!) is 40 and I prefer the higher #. I'll have to check again next fillup. getfast, I hope you aren't this quick on the track.

Last edited:

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL. Please let us know, if it's confirmed 47 I'll add it to the original post. Thanks!

Dieselson

TDI
86 Jetta
BP - Lsf5 Cavalier Investments

2404 Fontaine Avenue, Charlottesville, VA 22901 (434) 296-3790 ‎ just off 29N and 64, past the Ray C Hunt/ UVA complex has 47 as of phone call today.

One way traffic allows access to the pumps. Two islands with one diesel pump and one hose each. The pump has two sides and is accessible from either side of the island. I have not seen a pump with credit card access at this location, so pre-pay inside.

I only access this station early in the morning because it is hard to get in and out of (one way traffic). So if I go by and don't need fuel, and its not early am, its another free pig for the farm, lol.

Last edited:

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
Interestingly the Kroger discount worked fine for diesel at Country Store Shell today, but didn't work for gas at the Shell by Broad & Staples Mill, despite signs out in front of the place advertising it. :(
After having this not work a second time - for gas in my other car from the Country Store Shell just because I was out that way - I figured out why.

One has to spend $100 a month at Kroger per time the discount is used. :confused: http://www.kroger.com/in_store/fuel/Pages/richmond_shell.aspx

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Filled up at Country Store Shell in Goochland today, noting price/gal is now $3.089, highest I've seen it at this 45 cetane source.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
That's still really not bad for what it is, I've seen regular 40 as high as $3.25 down here in the city over the last few days. And at least we're not suffering alone, the price of gas is going up also (93 at that same Country Store Shell the other day was $3.099...)

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
@Getfast, if I lived in the UK, I'd focus on residing near a mass transit line. It would take ~$100 to fill up my Golf.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
Possible 47 cetane source spotted in Richmond. Buddy with a 335d tipped me off, but it's not 100% confirmed.

Supposed to be a standalone 47 pump somewhere here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...928,-77.499482&spn=0.000682,0.001073&t=h&z=20

Guessing that is "Roy's Express Mart" at 7605 Staples Mill Road RVA 23228, at the corner with Bremner Blvd. (A few blocks west of the Amtrak station.)

Edit: confirmed that the sticker on the pump says 47. Will get more info soon hopefully.

Last edited: